1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

were you suicidal last season?

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Suicidal? No. But I was disappointed in our regular season play. I was also disappointed in the way we played against Tampa (in our losses)

Being disappointed in your team is not really as dramatic as being suicidal. In fact, thats kind of a callous thing to say. Try to understand that fans can be passionate about both the positive and negative aspects of a long season. This has been the case in sports fandom since sports were around. Im not sure how much of a fan you are or how long you’ve been one but surely you have grasped that by now.

Rileydog likes this.
  3. Rileydog

honestly, I’m a pretty big fan. Like I get worked up and can’t go to sleep until 2 am when the Astros lose a game I really care about, a playoff game, or something like that. I needed medical attention during the 2017 playoff run…im barely exaggerating, I’ve blown a good amount of money going to playoff games and I’m not one of those corporate types who cheer politely. Everyone near me gets high fives. Like everybody.

Back in the day, I was that way the rockets, and worse… id be in a bad mood for a few hours after a regular season loss, euphoric with every win soaking up all the postgame highlights, and later as an adult, I had season tickets for many years. I remember one year I had playoff tix near the Portland trailblazers broadcast team, and I ended up makingan ass out of myself yelling at them enter every stop and bucket,

So I don’t have any disdain for the passionate fans here or anywhere else. I do think that for baseball, it’s funny when people lose their bleep over a regular season game, but that’s fine too. I find it entertaining. I tiny bit annoying, but mostly entertaining.

Rock Block likes this.
  4. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Anabolics trailing Detroit 7-6 in the 8th.

Rock Block likes this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

well people aren’t really “losing their bleep” now are they? And certainly not over one game right? Are the Astros not in a sluggish trend of mediocrity for the better part of 3 months now? You’re not on a higher plane of fandom, looking down on us naive idiots who foolishly overreact to single game outcomes. We all see the big picture too.

Rock Block likes this.
  6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Hinch and Co. did us a solid. 8-6 Tigers win. Thanks AJ!

7. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Takes the sting out.

Admittedly, we've been mediocre for the last couple of months, yet the A's are unable to catch us.

8. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I try and stay away from these exchanges because…..well you’re both right. If a poster wants lose their shiit over a regular season game so be it, and if another wants to say no big deal so be it. Or if someone wants to claim “shiit ain’t good but I’m not freaking out” then they’re free to post that also. It’s not my place to tell anyone how to feel about a loss or a win but everyone is free to share their opinion.

9. Rileydog

i guess it’s how one perceives it. We have a five game lead on Oakland, we are a superior team with an easier schedule, and professional vegas oddsmakers have us as heavy favorites to make the playoffs. Maybe it’s losing ones bleep after these two games to think we won’t make playoffs. Or to say there are no top hitters on this team when we have been a top offense for the year.

I’m not on a higher plane of fandom and it seems perhaps my comments have struck a nerve. I think the passion is admirable, the analysis is perhaps a touch off, but hey, that’s what fandom can be. Highs are too high, lows are too low.

perhaps one can have an overreaction to two games while seeing the big picture? I don’t know. I just think it’s entertaining to see people lose their bleep a little. I’ve been there. I’m sure others found my legit freaking out as somewhat comical. And I didn’t mind that they did because my passion and fandom were mine, and that’s part of the fun.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

what a boring game and series.

boo

CK Johnson and Tomstro like this.
  11. raining threes

Wow, 0 runs in 2 games.

The offense goes as Altuve goes and he had a bad August. It makes me think Altuve must have a minor injury.

vince and Tfor3 like this.
  12. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Altuve hasn’t been Altuve for most of the season, especially when you compare his numbers to prior seasons. Maybe the cheating scandal has got to him more than we’d like to believe. Hope the offense gets going soon or we’re gonna be sweating out this last month of baseball.

Radricky and raining threes like this.
  13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The problem with Dusty is not changing. Since August 1st, in over a month Tuve has 0 HR and 3 RBI. Tuve played as many games in August as other months. Dusty needs to move Tuve from lead-off for a few games, move him to 2nd like Springer was 1st last year. Tinkle the lineup once in a while.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

When we replaced the clutch, we thought we got an automatic. Turns out we were just rolling down hill and NOW at the bottom of the hill we've discovered there is no transmission of any kind.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This team has taken on the personality of it's manager. When the going gets tough, look for the donuts.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Who's buying the tickets?

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was indifferent last "season" and it was a bit more pleasant.

The only good news is that if we have to slump, it's better now than in OCTOBER.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Dusty be like James Earl Jones in “Field of Dreams”. He needs to take a walk out through the corn field.

I don’t even know what that means. In the film, I assume he took the easy path to the afterlife and skipped the “dying” part. He never came back. :( I really don’t know what happened to that character. They made it seem like he went to a better place but what if the corn be like from “Children of the Corn”? It wouldn’t seem so great then and that smug look on his face as he entered the corn would turn to terror!

Oh Dusty! Damn you, Dusty! Damn you all to corn! RALEY!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Deep “late night” thoughts. ;)

Tomstro likes this.
  19. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

"as the Reds drifted, then nose-dived late in the year, Baker insisted there was no need for urgency."

Radricky likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We pitched pretty well in that series. The bats may have been looking forward to their day off in San Diego.

Marshall Bryant likes this.