1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Our relief pitching will be a strength in the postseason, health willing. Last night was not in the postseason. While Click may add a decent to good relief arm to help in the regular season, I think he will be most focused on guys that will be good enough to pitch in the postseason (a top notch reliever or a starter that can either relieve or start in the postseason).

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I feel like the astros are gonna lay down the rest of the series.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Baker putting in Raley in that situation is just inexcusable. Flat out stupidity. Does he have zero feel for this team? Does he not understand his personnel?

4. Nook

Nook Member

This.

I think Click is open to adding guys that are better than the back end of our bullpen if the price is low....... however the focus is likely going to be on adding one or at most two real high leverage/high talent players. We want someone with the "stuff" and "poise" to get key outs deep in the playoffs.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So one or multiple of Max Scherzer, Craig Kimbrel, Taylor Rogers, and.....??

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

The way Click is talking, he isn't targeting under the radar/unproven guys. This is a WS winning caliber team, we need guys he knows he can depend on in the postseason. You know, guys who don't walk .102 or .205 hitters in high leverage situations.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Seriously.... how in the actual F&CK do you walk one of the worst hitters in all of baseball in that situation??? The fact that you can't rely on guys to do something as simple as throw strikes to guys who would struggle hitting in AAA is incredible.

8. raining threes

Yep,. Dusty's Sunday decisions with the bullpen bit him in the butt last night.

Just like some predicted. Good news is Taylor pitched well. I would have let him start the 8th.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Welcome home Collin McHugh.

...one can dream.

rockbox and PuzzledFan like this.
  10. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

What do you guys think about Odorrizzi coming out of the BP when Urquidy comes back?

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Stanek and Raley, Dusty is going to have to use them sometimes. I think Taylor is a better pitcher right now.

Very good news considering his velocity was down the previous outing. With his injury/fatigue issues, I would not have pushed him for another inning.

I expect Odorizzi will be in the pen for the postseason, but not in the regular season unless Astros trade for a better starter. With Urquidy having shoulder issues, I expect he will be in the pen when he comes back.

12. raining threes

Taylor just said on the radio he's healthy. He was having control issues, so he dialed down his velocity to gain better control. He still put up a zero with less velocity against the Rangers.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think I've seen someone dial it down 7-8 mph before intentionally on a cut fastball (or whatever one wants to call his fastball).

Nick likes this.
  14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I agree, but this is the best time to blow a 7 run lead with the trade deadline coming up. Maybe Dusty did this to force their hand that the team "as-is" is not good enough.

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

So you're saying Will Harris is out of the picture for returning? Gotcha

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hopefully Click and Dusty would know that he’s possibly nursing an injury… and that does increase the level of urgency to acquire some arms.

Also makes more sense as to why he used Raley in a higher leverage inning vs Taylor, or didn’t want Taylor to go longer.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

18. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Him and Joe Smith to the Mariners for Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero

19. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

As part of a trade for Graveman :eek:

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing that Taylor was just gassed against the Rangers after pitching last night fine. On him not being used in higher leverage, I don't think Dusty trusts him partly from hiding an injury last year and partly that Taylor is panic-inducing on the mound (High WHiP).

#320 Joe Joe, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021