1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That was more of a burp. Hiccups last a little longer… also still Dustys fault for keeping Taylor Jones in to play first.

because of that game, He’s put Yuli back in as a defensive replacement in games he was resting but they had the lead late.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Awful thought process.

3. Buck Turgidson

How ****ing sh@t went wrong:

1. Stanek, who otherwise looked good, decided to get breaking ball fancy with the (literally, statistically) worst hitter in MLB
    2. Dusty decides to pull Stanek (his best available reliever, btw) after that walk, instead of letting him go, knowing he has few options in the pen
    3. You throw a guy into that situation who hasn't pitched in 3+ weeks...why?

If this game didn't expose '21 Dusty, I don't know what it would take. I can't wait for him to not be manager next season.

Also, extra bonus FU points to Garcia for not being able to go 6 with a 7-run lead. *******, you started this avalanche of bullsh!t, and you too, Abreau, for not being able yet again to throw ****ing strikes.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

5. Buck Turgidson

Step 1 (Yesterday): Don't burn your 1 reliable late inning arm when you don't have to.

6. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Like others have already mentioned, Baker just doesn't know how to use his pen properly. His thought of using Raley to close the game is scary and should be a fire-able offense in itself.

7. Buck Turgidson

This is the worst implosion I can remember since the Brian Giles Game. I'm sure there were others, and this one took a long time to develop instead of in just 1 inning, but that's the game I go back to for Classic Pitching Implosion Metrics.

ETA: Oh ****, I just learned that the 20th anniversary of that game is literally ****ing tomorrow. You have got to be ****ing kidding me. Which basically makes it tonight, since we were on the west coast, which is just ****ing perfect. We were doomed from the ****ing start today, and didn't even need Billy Wagner to help.

Video: https://www.mlb.com/video/bucs-rally-with-7-in-9th

Article: https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/jul...slam-caps-off-pirates-unforgettable-comeback/

#267 Buck Turgidson, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Nick likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

fixed

:(

9. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm over it. Lots of baseball to play this season.

It's also only Tuesday. Sending lots of positive energy out there!

Get some sleep guys

HTXSportsAddict and AznH-TownFan like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Since Dusty isnt going anywhere this year, this should be a message to the brass to load up on arms for the playoffs.

Maybe things would be different if we had more than one dependable RP.

HTXSportsAddict and The Beard like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Click is absolutely on the ****ing Clock.

There hasn't been much movement yet, tradewise, but he best get in on this **** in the next few days.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am going to be immensely disappointed if all we come away with is a OF'r .

13. Buck Turgidson

Pitching and then More Pitching

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It does take some effort to make one the worst offensive teams (Seattle) look like the 20's Yankees. :confused:

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. Buck Turgidson

Yep. But you don't pull Stanek for Raley after that.

This Pirates/Astros game, Roy O's 10th MLB start, is a fun game so far. Wonder who wins?

17. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm now on board with getting rid of Dusty Baker after the season. Our bullpen sucks enough as it is...but then when you add Dusty...

IIRC, the biggest knock on Dusty when he was managing the Nationals was that he couldn't manage their pitching staff. Guy is utterly incompetent when it comes to pitchers.

His occasional bizarre batting lineup decisions, his reluctance to demonstratively stick up for the team when they're being screwed by umpires, and his overall "out to lunch" demeanor aren't helping matters either.

The Astros are going to make the playoffs and will likely make it to the ALCS and even World Series. But this team probably ain't winning a World Series against a Giants, Dodgers or Padres with their current combination of crap bullpen + Baker.

We will know by 3pm this Friday whether Click is the long-term answer at GM for this team. The #1 objective is to upgrade the bullpen enough so that it will be hard for Dusty to disastrously screw it up.

HTXSportsAddict and The Beard like this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I went to sleep at 6-0, what the **** is this?

cmlmel77 likes this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Raley is just not someone we can put on the mound in a competitive situation. We MUST upgrade the bullpen.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This. And not 20/20 hindsight. I was yelling at the TV Sunday when they brought Presley in against the worst team in the league before a crucial road trip with a 3-run lead. Dusty cannot think ahead to save his life.

At least this should light a fire under Click to get some help.