1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

Why is it terrible when a guy signed to be a back-rotation starter pitches like a back-rotation starter? That's Fister. Fiers was acquired to be the same. What's the problem?

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not blaming Fister

Overall he did about what we could have expected

Just wish we wouldn't have shopped in the bargain bin is what I'm saying, can't speak for anyone else

3. Buck Turgidson

It the first 2 or so(?) months this year when Fister was the best starter on the team.

That was a hell of a signing last offseason. Who is the next one?

4. The Beard

Deals can't be judged on two month periods

I mean we will do it on a message board as it goes

But in the end, as Jeff Van Gundy said so well

You are what your record says you are

Fister was worth what we gave him

He just wasn't what we needed

5. Buck Turgidson

Huh? He and LMJ damn near kept us afloat the first month or so. We sure as hell did need him in the first half when DK and McH were pretty much terrible.

6. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, missed that.

One year deals can absolutely be judged on 2 month periods.

7. The Beard

Ok then

Fister was our savior then

Cause after May it didn't matter what he did

Right?

8. The Beard

The season didn't end at the ASB

9. Buck Turgidson

Ugh. Really?

The guy earned his contract this year. He was better than what they got him for. My question was who will be the buy low guy next year?

10. The Beard

Hmmmm

I clearly said he was worth what we gave him. Maybe you just want to argue?

What I said, or tried to, was Fister gave us value for what we gave him, but I wish we had aimed higher and didn't go to the bargain bin in the first place

Wait, Jeff? This you Jeff?

11. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't Fister's fault, his stuff isn't what it once was and he is battling.

Fister was signed to replace Kazmir, who the Astros traded for to be a #2 starter.

The Astros knew they needed another #1/2 starter going into this season and signed Fister hoping he would rebound and perform like he did a few years ago.

The Astros got what most expected they would out of Fister.... and like most thought, it wasn't enough.... and it is because of finances. I don't think Crain is cheap or hoarding money; I think he is beholden to investors and over paid for the Astros.

This point is why it is that much harder for the Astros. Teams like the Cubs have been able to pick off a starting pitcher one off season (Lester) and then add another the next year (Lackey).

The margin is smaller for the Astros, injuries at the top of the rotation and it is a real issue. Hence why I said the Astros got what they paid for when it came to Fister.... He has a 4.5 era and cannot be counted on to give the Astros quality starts.

When the season ends, and the Astros are 1-4 games out of the wildcard, that is going to be a big part of why.... Sending guys like Fister out every 5th start. It isn't Crain's fault at this point, it isn't really Luhnow's.... and it isn't Fister's fault.

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

13. The Beard

Agree with everything except

It IS cranes fault

He may have that debt, but if you can't afford a MLB team in Houston, don't buy one. Don't sell out the city and agree to switch leagues for a team you can't realistically afford

It IS clearly cranes fault that we have Fister as our "FA" prize

14. Buck Turgidson

YES! Always a good answer to a question nobody asks.

This is what happens when I try to multitask on a Sunday night.

I think we're saying very similar things but I'm doing a poor job of it.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

I agree.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Hishasi Irowkawa, Brett Anderson, CJ Wilson, Andrew Cashner, Ivan Nova, Edison Volquez, Bud Norris or Alfredo Simon.. Take your pick.

Most of what I have heard thrown around is the Astros trading for a guy like Contreras, Ventura or Shoemaker to be a "project" rather than signing a free agent "project".

17. Nook

Nook Member

At this point there isn't much Crane can do. If he sells, he is likely to take a loss. He over paid for the team, he cobbled together investors. When he bought the team the television deal fell apart. I don't think Crane is holding back money (what I meant when I said not his fault); I don't think the money is there to begin with; after the bankruptcy and diminishing television dollars.

So we can say he should sell, but it isn't likely to happen.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what a disgusting list

these names are definitely preferable to the previous list. I wish our team had the Cardinals or Pirates rep of turning pitchers around (well more importantly, the coaches/system to do it). I'm not sure Ventura is going to turn it around here. He's been consistently inconsistent his entire career. Shoemaker would be super interesting.

19. Buck Turgidson

I know you know all this, but when he bought the team, even before the clusterf@ck of the network, he was pretty straightforward about his plans and finances and the ?ish year plan to pay back investors before he could start spending real money on the team.

Drayton bent him over on that deal. Baylor sure does have a nice stadium though.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I agree he was straight forward. People forget he tried to buy a baseball team before and the other owners and Selig (a pig from hell) were not impressed by him. He pays a premium and magically he is approved.

I don't have too much criticism towards Crane other than the financial part already discussed. I heard from Astros employees that he came in and cut their salaries to the bone, fired popular employees for no reason and had unnecessarily rude heavies scare and Harass employees. Larry Dierker even told Crane to f*** off. However that seemed to stop fairly quickly.

Crane deserves credit for having the vision to sign Luhnow and letting him spend the money and resources to bring in nonconventional and in some cases expensive scouts. Crane let Luhnow do his job.

Unlike some owners, Crane is willing to spend on longer term projects like those in the international amateur draft and players like Gurriel.