1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 22, 2014.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

1.159 OPS

11Ks in 46 PAs

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Of course, he needed to work in a subtle jab. It is Peter Gammons, after all.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reminded that John Kosciak, scout who drafted and singed Springer, left Astros in 2012. No explanation necessary</p>&mdash; Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="https://twitter.com/pgammo/statuses/470570565502509057">May 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scouts were drafting and signing 1st rounders all on their own during the old regime, huh?

Good work as usual, Gammons!

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Is Springer ready for the 4 hole or do you not mess with a good thing?

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would move him there, he seems over all the "newness" of the bigs. Put him in 4 hole and top of our lineup is legit

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

What about Dominguez, shouldnt he be in the 5 hole?

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

What is the implication here? That the Astros are stupid for letting go the scout who "discovered" Springer and that the Astros scouting department is weaker for that? Because there is a wealth of evidence to suggest our scouting department is extremely strong right now.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Peter Gammons, who I used to love, seems to thinks the Astros are a cancer in baseball. He's made numerous comments about it. He just has to make sure he doesn't appear positive about anything the Astros do, so he had to throw in a negative jab.

He praised Correa earlier this season, thought he had the best chance to be a star, but he made sure to suggest the Astros only sent him to Lancaster to slow his MLB arrival date.

Tons of little jabs like this, I've really lost all respect for him as a writer.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Absolutely, and Singleton in 6 hole soon!

10. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

I'm hearing nowadays in the moneyball era with all these advanced stats the 2 spot is the new best cleanup hitter spot, ecspecially if you put a leadoff type hitter at 8-9. More AB's throughout the game, would make since why dominguez and Villar are still so late in the order even though they are having good years..

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Marwin Gonzalez thrown out by a mile on a breaking ball that hit the dirt, and forced the catcher to leave his crouch to field the ball... I had to rub my eyes to truly believe that he had attempted to get a jump on that.

I think the 'ol analytic machine was broken when it said that Marwin should have as many steal attempts as possible, or be used in virtually all pinch-running situations.

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Since when is a .207 AVG and .261 OBP considered a good year? That's what Villar is doing so far.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When that still outperforms what guys like Carter and Krauss are doing further up the lineup.

I agree that if Villar was "better", he wouldn't be batting 9th.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

Looks like a game where we aren't going to score unless somebody gets ahold of one.

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Keuchel dealin yet again

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

Advanced warning: It probably won't be long before I'm going to post "We may as well have just kept Brett Wallace". I don't think I can hold off till Singleton is up here. He's better than Krauss or Guzman.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Krauss was unproven coming into the season, so their was some reason to give him a chance, but yes he isn't an MLB player. I understand the situation with Singleton, whether I like it or not.

Presley is a proven MLB player, and not in the good way. We really need to give those PA to somebody else. Hoes, Grossman, Wates, anybody.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No idea what they see in Guzman. He's about to turn 30, and is striking out nearly 30% of the time, without showing huge power or post a decent OBP.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Krauss has been the bigger disappointment thus far for sure. At 26, he's going to have some work to do when he gets sent back down to AAA.

Yet another case of why spring training stats do not matter.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH