1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Indians

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I really do enjoy what you do on here, and the knowledge you bring to the table.

Even though this game got a lot of people crossed in this thread ...including myself. This is not a make or break game for the Astros. :cool:

Thanks again Nick!

2. AnHero

AnHero Member

Catchers need to be smart, but I don't think they can predict the future.

3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Hard to disagree with that. It's like the defender in football that picks up every fumbled ball and runs toward the end zone...you never know if a referee is going to blow it and allow the score to count.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Depends on what the umpire said/did once Castro asked for a new ball. The umpire should have emphatically signaled a safe call since there was confusion but it looked to me like Joyce had no clue about anything.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The game is streaming free on yahoo. It's the game of the day....\

Colby... JACK

6. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Watch us lose this game by 2 runs.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The umpires screwed up the calls after the missed foul ball. Or only chance is that. If I was the Indians I would have protested as well, since they called time with a supposedly live ball.

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Playing a ball off the wall even though you are pretty sure it went out is a good comparison to the fumble analogy. Making the throw to first even though you know you fielded that ball down the line in foul territory also applies.

But this? This isn't some questionable fumble. This isn't a borderline call. This is baseball 101. Asking Castro to go after that ball would be like asking a DB to run into the stands to retrieve every ball that the QB throws away just in case the ref doesn't notice. You guys are arguing stupidity. Castro played this exactly right, and any sort of strange criticism pointed his way is misguided at best, contrarian just for the point of arguing at worst.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You keep repeating the same thing. I know Castro could have ran after the ball he knew to be obviously foul... But you also harp about the "proper" reaction, which in fact is exactly what Castro did.

When a ball is obviously fouled off, the proper reaction is not to run after a dead ball.

It wasn't just a bad call... It was an egregiously bad call. It's equivalent to a runner getting thrown out by 5 feet, but he keeps running just because, while everybody else has already walked off the field, and the brain-dead umps decide to reward his idiocy.

IN this case, the runner from 3rd broke for home (despite him fully expecting to be sent back), Joyce got confused... Got more confused when the 2nd runner kept going... Inexplicably called time-out... Then all hilarity ensues.

You can't even make this **** up... It's so bad. I love baseball tremendously... But when they get crap like this wrong, with all the other nuances and rules that things cannot be changed, and procedural dogma that only exists within the context of these 100 year old mostly archaic rules.... They really get it wrong.

1 person likes this.
  10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Wouldn't you know it. :(

11. Buck Turgidson

Put the rookies in! It's bound to work.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Everything the umpire did can be considered a judgement call. In his judgement it was a wild pitch, so nothing to protest. In his judgement it was a dead play so he called time to discuss things. Now we all agree his judgement on that play was egregiously bad, but he did not misapply any rule.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Terrible game. Terrible management of the pitchers. Brady Rogers should not see the field again.

I'm waiting in the concourse trying to decide to walk to the car or wait out the rain. It's looking like it'll be a while though.

By he way, met Fabricio Werdum on the walk in. Seems like a cool guy. Got a picture with him.

#573 Two Sandwiches, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  14. Buck Turgidson

Have another beer and deal with it.

2 out of 4 at Cleveland ain't bad. Come home and take care of business next 2 series and then beat the hell out of the bottom-dwellers. Game on.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's not bad at all. Marwin with that out of nowhere HR off Kluber was truly something.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It can't be both a wild pitch and a dead ball. That isn't a judgement call. The Indians could've protested and had a good case.

17. Buck Turgidson

"You killed anybody today, Curly?"

"Day ain't over yet."

18. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Will we get lucky and have this game called like the Minny game a few weeks ago?

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i was out. is there any way to easily summarize? seems like some craziness based on twitter and here..

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

it appears to have already gone 5..