1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Guardians

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Major

Major Member

I believe Pena had struck out in 7 of his 10 at-bats before they moved him out of the 2 spot. And they scored 16 games in the 2 games where they moved Pena down in the lineup, including one where he got 4 hits, despite hitting somewhere in the lineup where people say he can't hit at all without the magical protection of Yordan, which he doesn't have anymore in the 2 spot anyway.

Today, his replacement probably had the best game of anyone on the team.

Is that unexpected? Teams get shut out. The mighty Rangers offense has been shut out more times than the Astros this season. The Rays are just 1 game less.

2. Yordan The Great

Who is talking about 2022? Who cares about a GM that isn't here anymore? I'm talking about the here and now, he's already put Pena back down in the lineup.

Stephen66 likes this.
  3. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Not at this rate. The offense is going to catch up to them, or lack there of. Having burn against the A's and struggling to put up runs should of been all it took to see.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lol, I’m talking about when Pena started having the success at #2 that everybody so freely likes to quote as gospel and who fought to put him there in the first place. All the cumulative numbers include last year and the playoffs if you want to come close to meaningful sample sizes. You honestly didn’t know that Dusty spear-headed this initiative? Also does it still hold the same importance without Yordan there? Or are you just totally Dumbo magic feathering it at this point?

On the one hand, people want this team to continue to be on the fore-front of analytical decisions and figuring out how to further optimize production on a continual basis (incorporating rest, dynamic lineups, utilizing the entire roster)… on the other hand, people would prefer 1990’s robotic managing where they have the same lineup everyday, same bullpen pitchers in the same role, etc. etc. etc.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

AA lineup out there today. Gotta rest guys to preserve these guaranteed losses I guess.

Stephen66 and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

please get over yourself. Stop with the lecturing and say what YOU want, not what you think other people want. You aren’t bright enough to be this condescending to other posters.

middle ground- look into it.

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

There is an in-between though. The lineup today should ideally never be on the field. Rest, injuries, and incompetence (or blind optimism I guess), but those aren't good enough excuses. It's a long season, but trying to get a series win and get out of this rough stretch of ball would have seemed to be more important than giving a few guys 2 days off. There are other opportunities to rest players. In the last week the Stros pretty much erased the good momentum and record they built during the 19-6 stretch in 25 games, and that's really unfortunate.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We’ll see how the rest benefits the guys who were off today in the upcoming games. On the one hand, spreading out the rest may make the lineup slightly better, still not optimal… vs. having all the best players together several days in a row. On the other hand, today was a waste indeed. Altuve is going to get every 3rd-5th game off for the time being till he’s fully healthy. The other players are on a schedule. Sometimes it may sync up.

We can also stop talking about momentum in baseball… it’s nauseating. Either you believe the team is capable of putting together consistent 19-6 stretches, while weathering some tougher stretches (like 17 games in 17 days), or you don’t.

Marteen likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

L ALDS
    Nope
    Won WS
    Lost ALCS
    Lost WS
    Lost ALCS
    Lost WS
    Won WS

I'd like to get blown like that on a regular basis

#1249 Buck Turgidson, Jun 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    STR8Thugg, Marteen and Nick like this.
  10. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

applauding-yes.gif

raining threes, The Beard and IBTL like this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

raining threes, IBTL and Stephen66 like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I don't give a **** about "rates", except that funnily enough "at this rate" they would in fact make the postseason.

If the Astros have the 5th most wins in the AL they will most likely make the postseason. I think the Astros should keep winning games.

Nick likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo. Calling Dusty a dumbass (which he is) , ain't the worst thing in the world. Blowing the dynasty years.

raining threes likes this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Nick definitely ain't on anyone's top 10 favorite posters list.

Tomstro likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I think we should all take this advice.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Trends.

and we just lost our best hitter for a while.

our record is the 5th best largely because of him (and yes our pitching)

we aren’t winning at the same clip anymore.

our bullpen is underperforming.

Being satisfied because we are white knuckling it to a possible low end wild card spot is nice. Everyone has the right to be happy.

Abreu has maybe woken up. Thats good. We gotta get our pen going and we gotta start playing better situationally and fundamentally.

It’s mid june and I remain positive but the last week or so has been frustrating as we are trying to turn the corner.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah I know you mean me. He’s your buddy. You can always put me back on ignore. He’s a ****ing douche.

18. Buck Turgidson

"nauseating?"

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Maybe 1 guy’s top 10

20. Buck Turgidson

Yes, they're playing .500 ball in 10 games so far this month.

At some point in the next month+ we will either make some impactful trades, or we won't.

In the meantime (shoutout to the Helmet fans) I think we should just keep on....we need lots of players to step up, maybe they do, maybe they don't.

eta: I can handle losing games, but tne one thing I cannot tolerate is watching chickenshit fundamentals. The game last night just about killed me.