1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 30, 2021.

1. CinematicFusion

Tomorrow is as good a time as any for McCullers to showcase his talents. Like Cole did to us a couple of weeks ago.

You agree?

Radricky likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course... but is the season over if he doesn't throw a complete game shutout like Cole did?

For as dramatic as that Cole performance was, Yankee fans are back in the dumps after his last start (7ER).... just showing that you can't simply live/die with small sample sizes or small starts. Certainly with Cole being very outspoken over the sticky stuff, and his numbers/velocity dramatically increasing starting in 2018, there was enough smoke to have legit concerns about adjustments.

These guys can and will adjust. LMJ limited his off-speed stuff the very first start after the announcement, but has since phased it back in. Key is to avoid the WTF innings where he walks a guy or two and then has to use up a lot more pitches to K the side.

3. Radricky

Radricky Member

Lance will be amped the f up for this start.

TWS1986 likes this.
  4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

5 walks, 2 HBP in the first 3 then ;) .

Stephen66 and Radricky like this.
  5. HTXSportsAddict

[​IMG]

Clutch City1993 and TWS1986 like this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The walks are needed to make the HBP not look intentional.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  7. CinematicFusion

Season isn’t over if McCullers doesn’t pitch well.
    But what type of talk is that?
    This is a big series and we all want to see the Astros sweep the Dodgers based on the history of these two teams. Spin it all you want, but this series will feel better to win and it will suck to lose. It’s gonna really suck to lose. Every baseball fan in the country with the exception of those in Houston wants us to go in there and embarrass ourselves.

This is a great test. This series along with the giants are one you circle on the calendar like Olajuwon used to do when he faced Ewing or Shaquille.

So yes, means more to me to crush Dodgers and then split with twins then to sweep twins and get crushed by Dodgers.

That’s the fun part of being a fan. Some games do mean more, have more emotion to them. Promise you this start means more to McCullers then his next start against Twins….but yes they mean exactly the same on paper when you take human emotion out of it.

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its really hard to follow a baseball team with the way you propose... too many ups/downs over a long ass season. Heard the same "make or break" rhetoric when they played in NY earlier in the year (before the Yankees spiraled down further) and they not only survived despite losing 2 out of 3, they went on to have the best record in the AL.

btw, Hakeem got roasted by the Spurs/Magic during the regular season... but delivered when it ultimately mattered.

Pringles and TWS1986 like this.
  9. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Precisely.

10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Thanks for your post a few pages back in reply to mine. I guess where I'm coming from too is I'm a half-empty glass guy when it comes to sports :). So my views are kind of "oh no, the sky is falling" at times. I am concerned about our starting pitching, and I hope they turn it around in the playoffs. I do feel better about our bullpen though.

HTXSportsAddict, cmlmel77 and Nick like this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Or else he'll catch everyone off guard when he does it in OCTOBER.

12. CinematicFusion

Hakeem circled those games though. Meant everything to him to play against Shaq, Ewing, Robinson. Those are his words. Why he played the game of basketball.
    That’s the fun part. We have zero control of what happens as fans. It’s pure emotion following your team. If I wasn’t emotionally drawn in….I wouldn’t watch the game. I would just check the stats in the morning.
    The Dodgers series is as close to a playoff series you will get during the regular season. That crowd will be amped up…. (Unless they aren’t at full capacity because COVID). Grab a beer, enjoy the emotion of being a fan of the Astros.

Freak’n Mad Max is starting against us Wednesday. Odorrizi has his work cut out for him.

Is it end of the world if we lose? No.

How good are you gonna feel if we sweep the Dodgers?

Stephen66 and The Beard like this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I do urge a little caution based on last year. The A's were 7-3 against us during the last REGULAR SEASON before we took them out 3-1 in the POST SEASON. All statements were just plain WRONG.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Single game sports (football/basketball) can lend itself to those sorts of mini-events. Certainly is different when it comes to series (let alone 2 game series) in a sport that requires this many games only because of the built-in variability/unpredictability that can happen in small sample sizes.

If they win both against the Dodgers, I'll be happy... just like after they won the first game against SF. If they lose both or split, I'll be not as happy... but won't diminish the confidence that this team should be able to win their division and beat any of these teams in a 5 or 7 game series with their combination of tandem pitching and a lineup that could go 1-7 with all-star hitters.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The night the spurs handed David Robinson his MVP trophy might be my favorite Dream performance of all time

HTXSportsAddict and TWS1986 like this.
  16. CinematicFusion

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Baseball isn't an effort sport like basketball, you can't just go harder whenever you want. If anything trying harder is usually a bad thing. It's a season of slumps and streaks, and you can't really control when they align.

18. CinematicFusion

And he has been scratched… crap

19. CinematicFusion

20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

France is pitching for us? So would that be considered a forfeit?