1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 14, 2010.

1. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I would rather Bourn steal home than to leave it in the hands of Kaz. Please DFA after this game.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

lol

That is all.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

sure hope mills praises matsui for what a great battle he put up at the plate again.

4. RocketMania1991

Apparently he wanted Bourn to steal, he said Bourn had the green light but didn't see something he liked so he didn't steal.

5. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

WE WIN AGAIN! :)

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

houston astros...the san francisco treat.

1 person likes this.
  7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I was thinking this too.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Only 119 days until the Texans season start......... :(

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Kaz can steal bases, too. It's the one thing he can still do at a major league level apparently.

I didn't think about it at the time but The Cat is absolutely right. It would've made a lot more sense to reverse those moves.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Oh No we suck again!

11. Uprising

Uprising Member

What a great way to follow a sweep of the division leaders!

Go Stros!

12. juicystream

juicystream Member

Mier has looked better the last 3 games, including a monster Saturday.

Castro's been pretty impressive as of late as well, though still no power.

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Yea, I saw that Mier line last night. 4-5 with 3 2B and 1 BB.

It was the completion of a suspended game and it looks like everybody crushed the first 2 pitchers that came in the next day but it had to feel good for Mier regardless. His first 2B came off the starter the previous day. Maybe he's starting to make the adjustment.

RR had a hit parade on Saturday but Castro couldn't manage to join in on the fun.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

The other day we were talking about age and field quality factoring into Mier's error rate.

I saw this one article that shows error percentage per plate appearance across all levels of baseball: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/minor-league-run-environments

The league that Mier plays in (South Atlantic) seems to fall somewhere in the middle. I imagine that the E% indicates both overall quality of the parks in a league and the quality of players to various extents but I haven't really looked much more into it.

Mier is younger than the average SAL player so that is one factor. It doesn't appear that field quality is that much of an issue as a whole league-wide but I don't know the particulars of his home field or much in general to that end.

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Here's a guy who has somewhat of a background in baseball and does his own personal scouting of the SAL. You can read his bio to learn more about him.

Here is what he said about two of our prospects, including Mier, a couple of weeks ago after watching them play a series.

[rquoter]Jose Altuve, 2B, Astros – It is not often I watch a player and think to myself, “this is the exception to the rule”. Jose Altuve fits into this category as a diminutive second baseman whose height would normally remove him from any sort of prospect discussion. However, Altuve flashed plus contact skills, the ability to drive the baseball like a much larger player, and was a very sound fundamentally. He may never start in Houston, but the fact I see him as a future big leaguer is a bit mind blowing.

Jiovanni Mier, SS, Astros – Mier’s defense was as advertised, but his offensive game was nowhere to be found. In seeing eight at-bats plus batting practice, Mier showed little ability to drive the baseball and a swing more reminiscent of a left-handed hitter. The difference between a Wilmer Flores and Jiovanni Mier is while both have calm, fluid swing loads, Flores’ wrists explode through the zone while balls come off of Mier’s bat with a thud. For Astros fans expecting Mier to be a Nomar Garciaparra clone, it is never too early to temper those enormous offensive expectations.[/rquoter]

http://scoutingthesally.com/2010/05/sally-stock-watch-522010/

He was basically entirely impressed with the 5'5" Altuve (who I keep hearing good things about at every level) but not impressed with Mier's hitting.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

wow, what a difference a weekend makes...they sweep the div. leading cards, and then stink it up...can't win for losing...

17. juicystream

juicystream Member

When we drafted Mier, people said he could field with anyone, but that his offensive game was raw.

18. rockets934life

I am really not even going to think about Mier until 2012 honestly, really young position plays will have their ups and downs. Castro worries me a ton more, although it's obvious he is going to be at worst an average big league catcher with his plate discipline.

Can we designate Kaz for assignment? Guy is HORRBILE right now and if the Rays could send Burrell down why not Matsui?