1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 14, 2010.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I think it just appears that way for the most part. Every pitcher has a bunch of good and bad luck. It's all relative. There are advanced stats that can give you an idea whether a pitcher was lucky/unlucky over the course of a season. Stuff like line drive percentage, BABIP, etc...

I haven't looked it up but I'm guessing that Paulino has not been relatively "unlucky" based on those numbers. It's probably mostly on him getting hit a lot and walking a bunch of batters.

2. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Sigh. Paulino, Paulino, Paulino.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Cy Wellemeyer is still on pace to pitch close to 8 innings.

He's only pitched over 6 innings twice this season, with 7 being his max.

Most of his starts lasted 3 or 4 innings.

4. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

The important thing to take away from this is that we didn't leave Paulino out there too long and allow him to pitch us even further out of the game.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Another wild pitch and another run scored.

Paulino is kind of a stiff. His delivery doesn't look smooth at all. Kind of herky jerky mechanics. It's not hard to see why he has poor command. There isn't a lot of consistency and repeatability in his throwing motion.

1 person likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

He gone! In comes Chacin.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Hahaha...

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good job BB. Probably common knowledge, though something I probably couldnt point out :eek:

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

So if Pence had the Cold Hard Blast of the game, did Paulino have the Full Blown Facepalm?

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I assume that's a tweet. It's pretty obvious though and I don't know all that much about baseball. I only played for a season or two when I was young and just recently started trying to understand the game beyond the box score.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

And a MOOOOOOOONSTER.......... tease by Caballo.

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Well, we're solidly into the process of making another subpar pitcher look great.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes it was. And it seems you got a good grip or understanding of the game.

Anyhow..

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well if we have Cy Wellemeyer and Cy Latos, what does that make Zito and Lincecum? :p

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Our hitters call them daddy.

Zito came down to earth a little in his last start. If we're patient, we may be able to get to him.

We're not patient though so...

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Not really. I just spend more time putting together posts. A lot of the folks around here know more than me. I've watched baseball casually my whole life but never really had a great understanding of the game or the sport as a whole.

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Who thinks that Manzella will play a single major league game for any other organization in his career?

I think there's a chance that he's with us next season just because of the state of this team but I wouldn't even write that in stone.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

There are only 2 players in all of baseball with as many or more ABs than Manzella who have a worse OPS.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

There are some guys on the team who would be lucky to see Ma.L action on other teams.

Norris probably in AAA ball.
    Paulino in AAA ball
    Cash a old AAA player
    Quintero on the bench
    Matsui - does he even earn a spot on the bench? hah. Probably back overseas.
    Chris Johnson - dont know enough about him. Probably would come off the bench or AAA
    Pence - by no means saying he sucks or put him on the bench but curious how he would fit on other team clubs.

This is of course not to say we need or I want a team full of studs at every position; hah sure would be nice but not realistic. Well maybe besides Yankees, Phillies, Rays

Some of our guys though, gotta ask, can't we do better?!

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Wellemeyer is finally starting to lose it after pitching his best game of the season. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was their ace.