1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Yordan The Great

That's my thought.

Plus they are facing them, they get to look them right in the eyes and enjoy the moment of being hated spoilers.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. CinematicFusion

Do the Mariners even show up today to play the Rangers?
    I’m sure they love the fact a Mariner win could help Astros

IBTL and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Very rarely Verlander mentions another relief pitcher like he did with Neris, who is the MVP of the series. No teams will have to see the Mariners dance around the mound anymore. I think Mariners will rest some of the starters, I don't believe July Rodriguez will be playing which will show how serious if they want to win this game.

IBTL likes this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I'm just not a moron. Lol.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Elienator

Elienator Member

Professional athletes like to win even when there are no stakes. Outside of maybe J-Rod not liking Nerris there is also not a lot of personal animosity for players against individual teams, definitely not at the level of how fans are. You see plenty of time when players go and play for the “rival” of a the team they have been on.

Both teams will probably play a little more conservatively regarding injury risk or resting players, but for the guys playing they will want to win.

CinematicFusion and Kim like this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yessir!!!!

CinematicFusion likes this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

But why the east coast mafia look? o_O

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I know you think he’s been great for 2 or 3 weeks. His overall season numbers are terrible, especially with the role he’s been given. For most of the season he was one of the the worst rated everyday position players in the league, along with Maldy. He is probably still rated pretty low. Look at his OPS. You will want to point to RBI’s only again but he should have more of those too. I’m all for the turnaround but he has been a problem this year. He admits this himself. Is his OPS even at .700 yet? 19 million for a sub .700 OPS at 1B? Hopefully he puts up real numbers in the playoffs.

13. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Julio not playing might be a good thing for Houston. He came up short in big moments against Houston and even yesterday, think he came up with the bases loaded and 1 out when it was 4-0 and couldn't drive in a run.

Off topic, Texas was celebrating last night. How funny would it be if they thought they won the division and today they realized it was not for the division but just the playoffs. And they come to the game hungover and tired.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

So, if we win we have a 75% chance of either getting the #5 seed or winning the division. At this point I'll take anything.... the #6 seed doesn't look so bad considering who we play if the Rangers win today.

#1554 jayfree, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    JeeberD and Tomstro like this.
  15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Julio not playing might be a good thing for Houston. He came up short in big moments against Houston and even yesterday, think he came up with the bases loaded and 1 out when it was 4-0 and couldn't drive in a run.

Off topic, Texas was celebrating last night. How funny would it be if they thought they won the division and today they realized it was not for the division but just the playoffs. Then they come to the ballpark hungover and tired.

Kim likes this.
  16. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I assume you are talking about Abreu. Yes/ he was complete and utter trash for the first 2 months. He’s pretty clearly been hurt. He got the needle, got back and he’s been just fine. Flush the first 2 months. He’s an above average offensive player now headed into the playoffs. It’s fine.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's do this! Go Stros!

JeeberD likes this.
  20. RussE

RussE Member