1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 30, 2016.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, this team has a ton of games left with Arlington and Seattle. We can make up a ton of ground just winning those games. The hole we are in really isn't a substantial one in the grand scheme.

Having said that, I'm gonna have trouble getting too excited until we handle that team from southern Oklahoma. After that last series,watching our entire lineup go into a slump, I'm convinced there's a real mental issue when we face them. We've got a 4 game series a week from now, play well til then and at get at least a well fought split, then my optimism may return.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I really hope they keep Jake in CF and move Gomez to LF when they both start. Know it is unlikely but it would be the right move.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Track record. Gomez has a significantly good one; the others do not.

This is a scary-good team if the Gomez of 2013-14 shows up; if 75% of '13-'14 Gomez shows up, it's a good team. Hell, 50% would still be agreeable.

He's been terrible as an Astro - but Gomez was a *very* good baseball player prior to the trade. And his ceiling is so far above Marisnick's... I mean, come on.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

And do what with Rasmus?

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think the right move would be to DH Gomez if he gets his hitting stride back.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buenos Dias from Chase Field. Astros vs. Dbacks <a href="https://t.co/cHnkP57M58">pic.twitter.com/cHnkP57M58</a></p>&mdash; Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/737681426783436801">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of the 4 primary outfielders, Rasmus is 4th best defensively.

8. Nook

Nook Member

If White starts hitting (and there have been signs), the line up is a lot more dangerous.

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Not really, counting these couple of month Gomez has had 2 years of mediocre numbers. After he was hit the numbers have gone down, especially with fastballs in. This is NOT the same player of 2 years ago.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know what the numbers say but Gomez hasn't been that good. Do we know if he'll be any good in Right or Left field? (Honest question)

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Today, people will be like "yes Gomez and Marisnick in lineup!"

Tmrw -"Hinch needs to be fired! Gomez and Marisnick are terrible... look at their batting avg! Way overvalued in the outfield."

Rinse. Repeat.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

All players being healthy, my guess is that the Astros are a tad bit better with Gomez in CF and Marisnick in LF than they are with Marisnick in CF and Gomez in LF (more as a credit to Marisnick's versatility than a knock on Jake as a CF). Generally, when healthy, they are both very good defensively in CF. I'd give the nod to Gomez on arm strength and to Jake running down balls.

14. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

im not sure if any Astros fan on here will say the first one.

15. Hey Now!

He posted a .751 OPS with Milwaukee last year - are you suggesting the Astros aren't a markedly better team with an everyday CF that posts a .751 OPS? And, again, that was considered a "down" year because he had been hurt.

He may not be the same player (I think the .840+ OPS days have sailed) - but if he can post a .750+ OPS... he adds tremendous value. And there's no one in this system capable of being a better everyday CF (other than, of course, Springer and/or Rasmus - but that essentially solves one problem and creates another).

They're going to give him one more chance to try and right the ship. If he can... this is a much better team.

16. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

He can post whatever OPS he wants. He'll still be hurting the team if he's constantly running into stupid outs on the bases, getting himself ejected, ruining the team chemistry etc.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Other than by not playing well... how exactly has he "ruined" the team chemistry?

The team has continued to make the same silly mistakes on the basepaths, along with the questionable plate approaches, since he's been sent down. The biggest difference right now is that the pitching (both starting and bullpen) has been more consistent... and they're winning more games as a result.

18. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Agree but I think you can even look at it differently. Seems like this past week or so Jake, Castro, and Val have been hitting the ball decent. Keyword decent. If those guys are just decent we are close to 500 right now.

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

They are here... lurking. Once they do good... you will see them.

20. Hey Now!

This team is full of players who are constantly running into stupid outs on the bases; he fits in perfectly.

The rest of your post is just made-up gobbledygook. Until a player says something on the record (or, heck - even off the record), any notion that he's destroying team chemistry is pure bull****; nothing more than fans projecting their own perspectives on the team.