1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Remember, no PBP in these threads and keep the chatter on topic (if it is about something other than this series, talk about it in another thread).

6-12 Mike Hampton, LHP (4-4, 4.65) vs. Dan Haren, RHP (4-4, 2.33) 8:40 on FSN

6-13 Roy Oswalt, RHP (2-3, 4.66) vs. Jon Garland, RHP (4-6, 5.61) 7:10 on FSN

6-14 Brian Moehler, RHP (2-4, 6.95) vs. Billy Buckner, RHP (2-2, 6.75) 3:10 on FSN

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

just keep winning series. 2/3 works for me.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

WWW or WWL or WLL or WLW or LLL or LLW or LWW or LWL!

5. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Going out on limb there, aren't BB? :)

6. BrooksBall

I'm bold and a risktaker... that, or I just suck at making predictions (as we all know :eek:).

Anyhow, Haren can feast on lineups. Tonight's game will be a good test for Hampton and our offense.

7. arif1127

Supporting Member

Low scoring affair. Haren shuts the Stros down, Hamptom shuts the DBacks down. Comes down to the bullpens, advantage Astros.

8. BrooksBall

If it turns out that way, I'll make another bold prediction for this series: WWW or WWL or WLL or WLW!

9. arif1127

Supporting Member

Thanks for the laugh! Your boldness strikes again!

10. BrooksBall

Factoid:

Puma: .384 OBP (.253 AVG)
    Miggy: .373 OBP (.350 AVG)

11. BrooksBall

Here are some select NL team rankings for the Astros...

AVG - 3rd
    OBP - 6th
    SLG - 8th
    HR - 11th
    TB - 9th
    BB - 14th
    SO - 15th (2nd fewest)
    R - 14th

ERA - 10th
    OPP AVG - 14th
    OPP OBP - 15th
    MB9 - 15th
    IPS - 16th

CS - 1st
    E - 11th (5th fewest)

Misc - 13 for 26 in SVO

Of all the stats listed above, the Astros are only clearly better than average in AVG, OBP (just barely due to the high AVG), not striking out and not committing errors. We're average or below average in every other listed category.

#11 BrooksBall, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

LWW

Hampton's been on a roll, but it's Dan freaking Haren. The guy's stupid good and often overlooked.

13. BrooksBall

Just a funny note from the ongoing Cubs-Twins game (Twins up 6-4 heading to the 9th):

Milton Bradley caught a fly in RF with 2 outs, paused, then threw the ball into the stands thinking there were 3 outs. Mauer scored and Harris went from 1st to 3rd due to the error. Cubs fans rained down boos for Bradley.

Is that unfair for a simple mistake? Well, consider this:

In a previous inning, he lost the ball in the sun and it dropped a few feet in front of him. A couple of plays after that, he dove and missed a ball that should have been caught. He also made a blunder on the basepaths in another inning.

For once, I must side with Cubs fans: Bradley is a lazy, cancerous player that gets injured if you breathe on him.

14. MadMax

Hey, I'm away from TV tonight, but have laptop. If I buy MLB TV does it black out Astros games locally???

15. BrooksBall

http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/

There is a section at the bottom explaining the blackout policy.

If you click on the link after "To find out which Club's live games are blacked out in your current location, click here:," it tells you that Astros and Rangers are subject to blackouts (I assume based on my IP).

There is also this reminder in the pop-up window:

"Reminder: When you are traveling and accessing your MLB.TV subscription, you will be subject to that area's local blackout restrictions and not your home territory blackout restrictions."

So, if you are going out of state at any point, you are subject to your destination's local blackout restrictions. You can find out the restrictions of other areas in that same link by entering a zip code.

I've never used MLB.TV though. I just did a quick search.

#15 BrooksBall, Jun 12, 2009
  16. BrooksBall

MadMax,

There is also this note:

"If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing. Each game will be available approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game as an archived game (archived games are blackout free)."

So, if you could avoid watching the news, you could watch the game later through the archive even though we are in a blackout zone.

17. MadMax

thanks

i read that stuff too....i guess my question is...if the game isn't being blocked out in houston...and this game tonight is not being blocked out in houston on FSN....is it blocked out over the internet on MLB's website? even reading their website, i'm not clear on that.

i would assume if it wasn't on TV here any any given night, then you couldn't watch it online either....but i would THINK that if you could watch the game on TV in Houston, you could watch it over the internet in Houston.

#17 MadMax, Jun 12, 2009
  18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

this. lww.

19. BrooksBall

The way that I understand it is that online blackouts are a separate concept from TV blackouts.

If I understand correctly, I wouldn't be able to watch any Astros or Rangers games live from my current IP address using MLB.TV. I could only watch them through the archive.

On the other hand, if I was in another state and wanted to watch the Astros game live online, I would be subject to that area's online blackout restrictions. Most likely, I would be able to watch the Astros game.

I think there are similar restrictions with NBA Broadband. The Rockets game could be on FSN here in Houston but if I connected online, it would be blacked out. On the other hand, if I was in let's say New York, it would not be blacked out.

20. BrooksBall

Pence surely wishes he could have that one back. He should be able to make that catch much more often than not. I know it wasn't an easy play but it certainly was well within his reach.