1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Brewers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 22, 2023.

1. SuraGotMadHops

There is no faster way for a beloved former player to fall from grace than to serve in a front office or managerial role and suck at it. Bagwell is always going to be linked, rightfully or wrongfully, to the offseason without a GM that inked Abreu (sucks), Montero (sucks), and Brantley (hurt) the year following a championship.

Bagwell has legitimate baseball IQ, but I always saw him as a guy that is best suited for on field advising (spring training, hitting, etc.), not a front office guy.

IBTL, InTheGroove, Joshfast and 4 others like this.
  2. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Ahhh thats the punch-line, right? Because therein lies the comedy of this entire organization... nothing against (GM) DB because he hasn't been here long enough, but Jimmy C should've given Lunhow his job back as soon as he was cleared and allowed him to hire whomever the fvck he so chose. We'll see the regression in the next 2-3 years when the 'Stros org embraces mediocrity and complacency again...

You have Wormtongue, a Bag-full-of-inexplicale-excuses-advising-how-to-throw-money-into-a-Well... tell him to stay in the cages.
    You have facepalms stamped all over your big ticket off-season "falling stars"... tell them to shape up or ship out. (keep the leash short as fvck)
    You have a shh!t manager, that I'd be willing to bet MOST of the decisions (other than naming who's suiting up that day) are made by other coaches on the team (thankfully)... not saying it needs to happen, but if someone could tell me the last time Dubby was thrown out of a game bc "grit" and "fvck'em-all" attitude reppin' the H... and/or doing something analytically intelligent with the lineup/team/roster, I'd be completely open and grateful of the counter.

Mr. B... you have SO much leverage to right this ship right now its almost inconceivable. Do what you think needs to be done-- and no matter what, this city's got your back... it used to be #InLunhowWeTrust, but we've had to adopt a new mantra-- #TrustBrown&DontDrown

Here's a clue: Mr. Brown - at the box - with the phone/pen....

edit: dang, yes after referring -- I just realized our GM and Mgr/Coach have the same initials...gotta think of a way to distinguish the two.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

And all will be forgiven if these guys get their act together after the all-star break and help win us a ring like Yuli did last season .

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  4. RussE

RussE Member

Speaking of Yuli…

PuzzledFan, InTheGroove and Stephen66 like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The negativity on here is infuriating.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Should have kept Yuli. Never discount the heart of a champion. Rudy T taught us that. ;)

PuzzledFan likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I love Yuli.

That said, I still think it was the right decision.

This was a 3 game series in Colorado!

Before that his OPS was .657 for the season.

Much better than Abreu but still terrible for a 1B and if he was here we would be complaining about him just like we were last year.

Miami has done a great job of sheltering him and keeping him fresh. He has played 29 of their 51 games (57%).

If he played a different position the Astros could do that too, if they had resigned him (not the Dusty would) but what other 1B on the roster would have taken the other 43% of starts?

I have maintained that at his age he can be very good but can no longer be an every day or even 3/4 starter. He needs rest which is why he was good in the playoffs after a break between season and post season.

Even then he was getting tired and each series was a drop in production from the previous one.

I'm still expecting Abreu to outproduce Yuli over the course of the entire season, buy neither will likely end up with very good seasons.

#727 IdStrosfan, May 26, 2023
    Last edited: May 26, 2023
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I love Yuli.

That said, I still think it was the right decision.

This was a 3 game series in Colorado! Before that his OPS was .657 for the season

Miami has done a great job of sheltering him and keeping him fresh. He has played 29 of theirv51 games (56%)

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Spot on. Would definitely agree with this.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If the Astros had brought back Yuli instead of signing Abreu (I don't see how both would have worked) and rationed his playing time like this, who would play 1B the other 44% of the time?

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Diaz?