1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 24, 2018.

1. SemisolidSnake

We can thank our pitching for that huge number this year.

I think it's pretty wild that it's been that long since a defending champ got 100 wins back-to-back. '99 Yankees got close with 98 wins.

And before I even knew about 100-win seasons, I thought it was rather amazing that there hasn't been a successful World Series defense since the 2000 Yankees. No one's done it back-to-back since. But, hey, the Astros are doing all sorts of strange and rare things this year, so, while it won't be easy, I think they've got a good shot of winning it again.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

lets hope for some kind of improvement from correa as they close out the rest of these games.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

Intersting lineup. Kemp starts at 2B, for the first time this year. Straw gets his first MLB start. Gurriel starts at SS, and Stassi gets his first start since McCann returned from the DL.

No Worries likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, we really did go full on Fresno. I dig it.

The Correa AB's are legit important though, we need to see some aggressive swings from him.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I still want a new franchise record for wins.

Confident our JV squad can do it.

6. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Yep. Marisnick batting leadoff. Hinch must have filled out the lineup card while drinking the champagne.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Stassi is in an interesting situation. Looks like he wasn't progressing like Hinch/Luhnow expected, which I didn't realize, as it looked like he was good with the pitchers, a fairly good defensive catcher, and ok with the bat. But now he probably won't make the playoff roster. Which makes me wonder if he'll be back next year. I'm assuming he will be as the backup, and we sign either Maldonado or someone else as a starter (I'm assuming that McCann retires or goes back to the Braves to play his final year there).

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So Devenski really is getting the start? I wonder how many pitchers are gonna be used? I, like many others, would still like to get to 103 wins. Not all that important, but since were shattering records anyway......

9. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Wasn’t Stassi struggling to work with some of the pitchers? I imagine that played a large part of it. Even though it’s a AAA lineup I still am not a fan of Davis hah. Really hope Tucker can shine and Correa get regain his form

10. Poloshirtbandit

Kemp has only played something like 18 innings of 2B at MLB level.

11. Poloshirtbandit

If the Yankees finish with a better record do they not get home field advantage if we meet in the ALCS?

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No wild card can have Home-Field advantage until the World Series. So..No.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Will the Astros do a locker room celebration after the game?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

the celebration has been scheduled for today

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess we are going to get a Josh Reddick Speedo appearance. It would be nice if he had something new up his shorts this year...like some blinking LED lights or something.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

why do i feel like he's going to surprise us somehow...

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He was progressing nicely (at the plate) until July.

April .753 (OPS)
    May .823
    June 1.017
    July .628
    August .555

McCann is going to get the nod if he is healthy, period. When MM came along with his better defense (arm), then suddenly he was our #2. When Stassi's bat went south, there just wasn't any reason to play him over MM.

As far as next goes, it depends if you think Stassi can regain his form at the plate or not.

18. SemisolidSnake

The scheduled clinching party thing cracks me up. I know that's what has to happen. Still, the team might get destroyed by the Blue Jays tonight, but as soon as that's done, everybody get to to plastic covered room in the Blue Jays' stadium with their goggles to commence raucous, punctual champagne spraying.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, clinching is of course great but it's much more satisfying to do it at home at the end of a game with the fans vs. finding out at 2:00 a.m. via an espn update and having to delay the celebration until after the game the next day in the away clubhouse in Toronto.

I guess it doesn't always work out like last year but it's just a bit of a damp squid on a great accomplishment.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just heard Hinch on the pregame say LMC will pitch today. Hoping he’s good to go for the postseason.