1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Official] Astros @ Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 24, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Lance comes through for a little fan...

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There is still technically something to play for (possible home field against Yankees) but I would like to see most of the youngsters in the lineup today.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hat tip to the As for keeping it real. Being in a pennant race will only help the Astros in the playoffs.

While you are at it, As spank the Yankees because ... Yankees.

desihooper likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think a wild card can have home field in any round, regardless of record, no?

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neither of those teams won the World Series though, so they don't meet the criteria laid out in the tweet.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the tweet and graphic in the post directly before it.

But I was strictly speaking b2b 100-win seasons. The '70 Orioles didn't win 100 -- although they came the closest of close with 99.

desihooper likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Seems you're right, so truly nothing to play for.

Just gotta make some cameos to keep our blades sharp.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is true. division winner's always have home field. The only way a wild card can have home field advantage is in the WS and thats only if their division won the All Star game. From what i remember

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You can see the discomfort on that little girl's face. Sad she had to experience that.

I bet Lance will pay for tickets, food, parking, etc for her entire family.

craigharmann and desihooper like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's an out pour of supporters on facebook with tons of people offering that family things such as tickets from season ticket holders etc. so the girl can experience a game again.

craigharmann and Houstunna like this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Starting last year the team with the best record has home field advantage in the World Series. Wild Card teams can't have home field in the AL/NL playoff rounds, not sure if that rule also applies in the World Series.

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I bet that Scrooge Lady won't offer an apology.

She's too small of a person.
    Baseball recently stopped that ASG crap.

The AL won the game last season, but Dodgers had HFA for the WS.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wild cards can have home field for the WS.

In fact, there’s a scenario where every AL team can clinch a WS home field over all the NL teams, depending on how Oakland finishes.

But they do forfeit it for the first two rounds.

marks0223 likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

should've looked before I piled on...

GO STROS

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

ahh they dropped the AS game incentive to win. I didn't know that. good to know

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Other people have offered to send jerseys, tickets, etc.

Houstunna likes this.
  17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's hope this adjustment lasts throughout the post season!!

Link

Repairing Rondon: A flaw in Hector Rondon’s delivery is apparently to blame for his September struggles.

About four or five days ago, the set-up man noticed he wasn’t getting extension with his front leg necessary to finish some of his pitches. He’d studied videos of all eight September outings — where he accrued an 11.37 ERA — before arriving at the conclusion.

Rondon threw a bullpen sometime afterward with pitching coach Brent Strom and felt more normal. A clean eighth inning during Tuesday’s win suggests the fix was effective.

“I feel really good after the inning I threw today,” Rondon said after the game. “I started looking at all my videos, all kinds of things, because I had been pitching really good all year and I was really bad three of the last four, or something like that, so I found it and I’ll try to keep it.”

Rondon had allowed seven earned runs across his last 2 ⅔ innings. On Monday, he was not used in the eighth inning of a game the Astros led by less than four runs.

Tuesday, he was. He required 13 pitches to complete a 1-2-3 inning. Two lefthanded hitters — Billy McKinney and Rowdy Tellez — grounded out against him. No ball in play had an exit velocity harder than 80 mph.

Former Astro Teoscar Hernandez waved over a biting 87.4 mph slider, too, for Rondon’s lone strikeout.

“He was great,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “He’s going to pitch again before the end of the regular season, but that was really good to see him clean his delivery up and be effective in the zone with some movement, get the ball on the ground from some lefthanded hitters, so that was a plus.”

Houstunna, mick fry, JeeberD and 3 others like this.
  18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't mind that at all.

I guess we'll see if we can get 2 innings from Devo, 2 innings (or whatever the limit is) for Lance, and then a nice dosage of Deetz, Cionel Perez, and Reymin Guduan. Maybe some Peacock and Harris.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Astros run differential

(2017) +200
    (2018) +264

And first defending WS champ to win 100 games since the 1990 A’s according to the broadcast

everyday eddie and MadMax like this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's a nice story but is kind of lacking on the details. The woman wasn't exactly chewing her out. It was a very calm admonishment but, obviously, one would rather not admonish a child. We also don't know what preceded it. And, obviously, the woman doing the admonishing couldn't have known about any disorder.

But, good for the little girl. It appears her parent definitely is getting the most out of it. So far, it appears the little girl and probably family is getting free tickets / parking / food...along with a baseball card package from some company...along with another package from Academy...along with attention from a player. And, probably more.

While I'm not ready to run the woman out of town, it's a nice outcome. Social media posts can work both ways...and this happenstance worked out well for the girl.

I've seen fans admonished way, way more harshly than that at games before. I've been admonished for standing at a concert and cheering for my favorite band because a "fan" behind me didn't want to stand (when others were standing as well no less; I wouldn't have been standing if someone wasn't standing in front of me blocking my view). I wish I could have gotten that up on social media but it didn't exist at the time. Maybe the band would have come to my defense! I was fairly young at the time. lol

Again, I'm happy for the little girl given her disorder. I'm just not ready to throw the woman in the pits of hell over it. The kid could have been highly annoying before that for all we know. Someone said the little girl was spitting at her before the admonishment but obviously can't be proved.

Please don't rip me a new a-hole. Buck Turgidon already did yesterday and my butt hurts. Thanks. Again, congrats to the little girl and I hope she feels better today.

Buck Turgidson likes this.