1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Astros @ Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 6, 2017.

1. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

it's like clubbing baby seals

Fullcourt likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think if Biggio sits out his last season and finished with 2930, he still makes the HOF.

bigdaddy and No Worries like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He had one of the worst records of any NBA MVP award winner ever... and decidedly worse if you use recent (last 20 years) criteria to judge the award.

If you had to equate that record/finish to baseball (since we're staying on topic, the Thunder would not have been a playoff team. The Rockets still would have been a wild card team.

Hell, Kawahi Leonard would have normally been more of the NBA's precedent-set award winner, if he was a bigger star/name... or if he played in a bigger market.

Bottom line, in the NBA its entirely a hype-driven award.... and now the agenda can be anything the media wants it to be. Baseball typically gives it to the best player, regardless of record, hype, market-size, supporting cast, etc.

#803 Nick, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. eslate22

eslate22 Member

he should win cy young if we can somehow make that 10 games by seasons end... it would prove his aurora makes the opposing starter pee his pants

Houstunna likes this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

This team is going places and doing big things.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Stros on a ROLL BABY!!!!

Houstunna likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Russell's stats were some of the best ever, more specifically, the last 20 years.
    MLB's playoff standards are different.

If you wanna compare records, factor the West>East advantage vs AL-NL. MLB plays interleague much fewer than NBA does inter-conferences.
    Kahwi has already won multiple major awards and is well respected. Stop reaching.
    Entirely hype, right? Then why did the homie @BigM say 9.9 equals no MVP?

I mean, because 9.5 still "hypes" the tri-dub if rounded up. The exact 10+ isn't necessary.

Scoring Champion vs Assist Champion is another Russ advantage.

Harden wasn't screwed... just bad timing.
    ________

I'm not gonna keep arguing this like I'm glad Harden lost.

Go Astros

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Perhaps Correa is improving in the "fence-clearing" aspect. ;) I'm serious

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Astros go "super Stat-Pad" with a season-high 19 runs. Pitching staff only surrenders a single run.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Instigating once again without statistics to back the words. You are the one who flares this up every time. Love that the analytics and data have you bothered this much and that you keep trying so hard to cover up the mistake. You've lost credibility. Here are the updated numbers to get under your skin even more, and we are not even looking at his fly outs yet, which are just as incriminating regarding his current power in reference to the entire league.

• Correa ranks #214 in average HR distance among all major leaguers ( Grade C, just above average )
    • Of players with 9 HR or more, Correa ranks #95 in distance ( Grade D, bottom third of data set )
    • Correa ranks #61 for just enough HR's. ( Grade D, bottom third of entire league)
    • Correa ranks #233 in Exit Velocity for entire league ( Grade C, just above average for entire league)
    • Correa ranks #314 in Apex ( Grade D, bottom third of entire league )
    http://www.hittrackeronline.com/
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/homeruns

12. bobrek

The funny thing is when you look at the 'home-run tracker' web site, Correa has 5 HRs classified as "just enough" (today's aren't included yet). Two of the JE HRs are his 2 shortest of the year 344 and 345. The other 3 classified as JE went 398, 410 and 413. Clearly, I know that JE means just enough to clear the fence where it went out, but 1220 feet worth of 3 HRs classified as JE is ridiculous. In other words, an HR that went 437 feet to dead center field at MMP last year would have been classified as JE. including today, his HRs are averaging 400+ feet.

13. bobrek

Again, I am not arguing where he is ranked. My whole point is that when someone is averaging 400 feet per HR, they aren't barely clearing the fence. See my post above for his 5 "JE" HRs. 3 of them went 398, 410 and 413 feet. He just happened to hit them to a deeper part of the park.

EDIT - Also, not sure what mistake I am trying to cover up considering I am not disputing the rankings. I know where he is ranked.

DOUBLE EDIT - Do you really consider a 410 or 413 foot HR as a negative stat since it is classified as a "JE"?

#813 bobrek, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I dont get it... does a farther, harder hit hr count for more? does the fact that they go left . right . and more oddly, center matter? Why are you complaining about his power? just enjoy the HRs

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be honest, I think correa is a mega troll. He calculates exactly how hard he needs to hit it to just barely clear the fence at whatever field he is at and whatever part of the fence he feels like hitting, demonstrating his extreme precision, just to do 2 things: get you guys arguing, and making the outfielder feel like he has a chance and runs more... correa just laughs his wayt around the bases

htownrox1 and craigharmann like this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't really get what you guys are talking about. Correa along with the guy from LA are by far the youngest players compared to others at the top of the league for home runs. One would assume he will get stronger in the next few years, in 5 years when he is 27 he will be hitting them longer.

He is also the only short stop in the top 65 players in HR's.

Yaosthirdleg and raining threes like this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This is a weird discussion. His power is fine without the tape measure shots. Those will come.

raining threes and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Okay he hits shitty home runs. You have made your point already. I don't think you understand how much of a broken record you sound like. Come off it. Clearly nobody ****ing cares.

Correa has been fantastic. Get over it.

tmactoyao likes this.
  19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Weird, Mike Trout only has 2 MVPs, despite 5 years as the best player in all of baseball.

tmactoyao likes this.
  20. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

It's terrible that a guy with as little apparent power as Correa is possibly going to end up with 35-40 homers. I don't know how he does it. They must move the fences in for him or something.

Pipe and Yaosthirdleg like this.