1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 12, 2016.

1. conquistador#11

cute fact, the rangers and astros have basically played at the same level once April was over.

the last series against the rangers' their original pre- dead line roster did nothing.

2. Major

Major Member

Does that mean the Rangers are worse than the Twins too?

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Really? Cmon man. The twins are in last the rangers are in first. If we were ahead of texas in the standings your question would be a true parallel. But as it stands, your question is illogical.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Also, please take into consideration that if our record vs the rangers was 2-5, like their record against the twins, then it would be too small of a sample size to freak out about. So the twins 5-2 against texas is is much different than our 2-11 record against the rangers.

5. Buck Turgidson

At some point the Astros will remember that they are neither Canadians nor Dallasites.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

And i know we are only talking about this season but we ate 51-91 against the rangers all time. That is a .359 win pct. and that is putrid. It's time for us to start giving it to the Rangers. High time.

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

But they still won the series!!

8. Buck Turgidson

What's the record since the Stros joined the AL West? I'm curious.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

19-32 so slightly better win % at .373

So to be preemptive here, we are 17-21 against texas in the first 2 years in the AL and we are 2-11 this year. I guess we did a little better in '14 and '15 but with a losing record still. They pretty much dominated us in interleague play before that.

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Sorry, i forgot we were an AL team in 2013. We went 2-17 against the rangers that year

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

So we are 21-49 against the rangers since we became an AL team

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This all could have been avoided if we stuck with the original point... Excluding the off-the-charts outlier H-2-H against the Rangers, the Astros hold their own against good teams.

If they want to focus all their analytics and energy and $$$ on simply beating the Rangers, it may go a long way as it's the biggest reason they are where they are right now.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Well don't avoid common sense. It is necessary to understand that the record against Texas is not a fluke or an accident. They actually are that much better than us. This is the reason they have dominated us. Also, we are 23-24 against "winning" teams. That isnt very good because several are barely .500. That 23-24 record does little to distinguish us from mediocrity.

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We are 2-11 against texas and 11-1 vs the angels. We are basically a wash with the rest of the league. If we are gonna do the "outlier" thing. Sorry I would edit my previous post to include this but I don't have editing power yet. That's why I have to put out multiple posts.

15. Major

Major Member

Except they aren't. In all the history of baseball, there is no evidence of a team just being really good against one team and mediocre against everyone else and it being some indication of their greatness. It's not a sport like basketball or football where different styles of play can lead to odd results of dominance between two teams. You hit and you pitch. Each team has 25 players, many of whom changed between the years. No one player has dominated or been dominated. It's just a random unique fluke, as much as you want to try to assign meaning to it.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros just need a couple better hitters, health, and they can beat anyone. Vally will return and Gurriel might join the club eventually.

Giles can stop surrendering 9th inning runs, too. He's 0 for 3 this season in that situation.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hillarious that this is the same guy arguing about the flukeish nature of the 48-23 stretch, but staunchly defending this H2H like nothing else.

At least he's inconsistently consistent... Dating back to his original posts. Definitely was good to get back to working out: crunches, push-ups galore.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They don't have the starting pitching without a healthy LMJ... Cy/Vintage Keuchel included. In reality, they didn't have the starting pitching last year either... Despite being 6 outs away from eliminating the Royals.

And Giles being 2 for 3 in save conversions (and converting at a smashing 100% since being named the full time closer!) would instantly put him on track to be the most successful closer of this season... Let alone in the history of the Astros. (Amazing how small sample size results can work any way you want them to).

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Right, that's why I mentioned health (LMJ included). Keuchel has fallen off, but he's capable of dominating, see his last Rangers game. Kazmir has a history of shrinking come playoffs (ERA 3.99 vs 5.18), unlike Fister (3.65 vs 2.60). Does Musgrove have the clutch gene? We'll hopefully see something this post season

Yeah, just hope he has a 2+ run lead ;)

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We had a hot month. I never said there was anything fluky. I said we had a couple of great streaks. And I have no idea where you get 48-23.