1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Member

It still comes down to blown saves. I really couldn't care less if a closer gives up a run when he has a 3 run lead. Harris gave up a crucial run in his appearance today... no big deal because he was working with a 3 run lead.

The majority of Gregerson's ER's allowed have been in "that" fashion. He's actually protected the majority of the 1-2 run leads (till today). They haven't had a loss "like that" till today.

He's certainly not lights out... neither is Neshek or Qualls (really the only person in this bullpen with an extended "proven" stint as closer), so they're all going to give up runs from time to time.

Neshek also worries me against lefties... Hinch hasn't let him face all that many this year, and his biggest "advantage" (the deceptive delivery) is somewhat neutralized, giving him less margin for error.

As a whole, this bullpen is NOT broken... and it doesn't make much sense to re-shuffle all the roles that Hinch has masterfully crafted thus far, unless you start to lose a lot of games specifically due to this aspect.

2. Nick

Nick Member

Exactly how many games have you "sweated" out with him before today?

I know you brought up last "10" games because it fit your statistical profile better... but the last 5 games show him to be pitching as well as anybody else in this bullpen (and this would be post-"personal" issues).

I also don't think anybody in this organization would be as "rigid" as to not make a move for fear of hurting somebody's feelings... so if needed, a move will be made. I just don't perceive the bullpen to be as big of an issue as other parts of this team... in fact, its still its greatest strength.

#302 Nick, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  3. cardpire

cardpire Member

and he also arguably had his best year post-stros.

man that guy was filthy when his brain wasn't exploding.

4. Nick

Nick Member

Which is an argument against the scenario that guys are "ruined" by one bad game/week/month/year.

With Lidge, it was mainly mechanics... and harnessing the "good" slider that broke late (it actually was a more effective pitch when it was "not" thrown for a strike).

He was actually scuffling way prior to the Pujols HR... something was no longer working with his pitches, and it was just a matter of time before somebody made him pay.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

I doubt Hinch is going to move Gregerson from closer any time soon and for the sake of the team I'm hoping he gets it together but to say you're not concern is pretty rediculous.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

I agree with that, but also think there was a large mental element in play with him as well (before and after. not because of that).

He had one wild roller-coaster of a career. Was damn cool to see him get some redemption and dominate and win a world series with the Phils (yet most people probably don't even know he existed post-Pujols blast).

7. Nick

Nick Member

I'm not saying it wasn't a part of the eventual breakdown... just saying that it gets too much attention as we have evidence of A.) him starting to not look as "invincible" prior to the Pujols HR (needed that miracle DP to save game 4), and B.) him being able to rebound, with his original improved mechanics, in the same high pressure situations 2 years after the "incident".

Mental elements can also affect mechanics... so can health.

8. Nick

Nick Member

I'm not because I know there aren't that many alternatives... nor do I think he's "overmatched" at the closer spot (i.e. - somebody who is a "different" pitcher in the 7th or 8th innings, and becomes overmatched simply because its the 9th... Gregorson's peripherals like K rate and WHIP are actually "better" in the 9th inning this year than his career 7th/8th inning numbers).

Qualls, Neshek and Fields are the only other options... with enough time, they'd all blow saves as well.

Harris is a bit of a wild card... mainly because he's been "so" good in pretty high pressure situations this year. If Gregerson truly needs to be demoted, I could see him getting the first nod.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Crap game and series. Stros were this close to ending the losing streak then dropped the ball, literally.

Once again, we can only muster solo home runs, while surrendering them with runners on.

Reinforcements are coming... Stros just need to maintain until then.

Houston owes CHI some payback, but we seem to have a complex against them ever since the WS.
    That situation needs to stop tomorrow. Thank God we play again tomorrow