1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 1, 2021.

1. raining threes

If no one is hurt I want to use Javier as a weapon out of the bullpen.

Javier and Stanek being able to go 2 innings each of shutdown ball is a luxury most teams don't have. I really liked the Stanek signing and if healthy this guys a stud.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Rangers are going with a tandem setup for 2 of their rotation spots to limit young pitchers' innings. Jordan Lyles and Wes Benjamin got the win last night. Pair Javier with Bielak or Garcia when Odorizzi joins the rotation.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-plot-tandem-pitching-plan

raining threes likes this.
  3. raining threes

We're on the same page,

That's why you let Javier pitch 2 innings and put Pressley in to close.

Or just let Javier pitch in the 8-9th innings if you want Javier to close. Anyway these are 1st world problems. The pitching depth in the system is as good as anybody's. That's without Whitley.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I want this in the playoffs 11 times. It is a devastating combo.

Only variation for me is that I think having Javier build up endurance as a starter or a reliever getting 4 days rest is the best way to get Javier to be able to handle 11 2-inning appearances in October. If the Astros are in a race for the AL West, it is likely because starters are hurt and Javier will be needed to start. If there isn't a race for the AL West, prep Javier for the playoffs by building up endurance.

Edit: I'm not too worried about the Astros pen. I like Taylor. I like Paredes, too, but his control scares me. The only thing the pen needs is a long arm or 2 that Astros can jerk around and not worry about breaking.

I like the potential for a Javier and Garcia tandem.

#764 Joe Joe, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Watching MLB Network right now is paradise. Astros are ballin.

Yeah beeacth !!! ...... Those cheating ass Stros are still some ballers regardless of trash cans and controversy.

6. raining threes

This was never really about cheating or trash cans.

This was about MLB/Media getting rid of Luhnow. Mission accomplished, funny how everybody else involved but Luhnow has jobs in MLB again.

cmoak1982 and Houstunna like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I was watching the nationally televised Braves- Phillies game and they were praising another coach and comparing him to Hinch as the ultimate communicator.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

True... however there was also a time where relievers weren't expected to be only 1-2 inning guys... and were able to finish games pitching multiple innings. Of course starters were still pitching a lot more.

Things have evolved somewhat organically. Starting pitchers used to go longer and certain bullpen pitchers were groomed for specific roles (and some managers were robotic about it). Now starting pitchers may go less and some teams may add versatility to their more used bullpens that doesn't necessarily rely on the same specific arms to close every game.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I remember from back in the Dave Smith era, it was typical for a starter to go 6, reliever 3, or 7 & 2.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Astros be like..."NEXT!":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

awc713 likes this.
  11. raining threes