1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ A's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 18, 2014.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

starting to err towards the side of the "cut carter" camp. yeah, i said it. wouldn't go as far as cut, but he's effing terrible.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Its unbelieveable what it takes to be fired in Houston. Status quo!

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Singleton needs to be promoted very soon. Carter and Krauss are horrible options for 1b/DH

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...-question-about-astros-blunder-193632312.html

Most mistakes committed on a baseball field, even mental ones, can be forgiven. Houston Astros manager Bo Porter, even now, probably is testing that statement after what slugger Matt Dominguez pulled Thursday night.

Porter's slow burn in the video below is epic. He takes 17 seconds to answer a question about Dominguez's baserunning blunder against the Kansas City Royals, as CSN Houston notes.

Porter doesn't fly off the handle but he's definitely mad as heck and disappointed in Dominguez's decision-making skills.

After hitting a ball into the gap at Minute Maid Park that should have been a single to put runners at the corners, Dominguez got greedy, making a wide turn at first and trying — sort of — for a double. He was out by a lot, as you can see. Dominguez was so out, he didn't even bother sliding, or even thinking about sliding.

The situation — nobody out, trailing by five runs — called for a conservative play. Dominguez certainly did not do the right thing. "Do you believe you're invisible?" Porter says he asked Dominguez.

Here's Porter's eventual full reply:

"I mean... there's... it's just not smart. Obviously. And — sorry for taking so long to answer the question — but I went and asked Matt Dominguez, I said, 'Do you think you're invisible?' It's... I mean, you're down five-to-nothing and the ball is right in front of you. So, to answer your question, no, I don't like it. There's nothing smart about it. And... next question."

Astros County has done a wonderful job of taking Porter's staring silence almost frame by frame, and giving us insight into what he was thinking as he replayed Dominguez's blunder in his head before he answered the question.

It's funny, because the previous video highlight at MLB.com featuring Dominguez was a brilliant defensive play. He also hit 21 homers in 2013 and is just 24 years old. He's obviously got some talent. It will just take longer than a few hours to earn Porter's forgiveness for this transgression.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I cant disagree with you really, you could make that case at every position on this team (minus Springer and Altuve) at this point.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It just seems most glaring at that spot.

Aside from Cosart's crap performance last night, 1-3 of the starting rotation deserve to be up here...CF is being handled by a legit major league starter...Springer...Altuve...Villar is young....Dominguez needs to start hitting. Castro is an all star.

But 1B is glaring.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Our all-Star is hitting .216 :(

Guys like Castro, Villar and Dominguez could turn it around. So could some others. But by saying "...at this point", I meant it as a snapshot of the present.

If the guys present stats were to become their season final stats, every position player except Altuve and Springer would be considered below average and replaceable, IMO. But I agree, 1B/DH is where I would clean house first.

My comments don't extend to the pitching staff at present.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But with a .784 OPS, which is 2nd amongst AL catchers.

Surprisingly, Villar leads our position players in WAR thanks to his good defense to start the year.

Villar
    Castro
    Dominguez
    Altuve
    Corporan

Are the only players showing rWAR over 0.0 amongst our position players. That means over half our lineup on a typical night has been playing like a player undeserving of a roster spot.

It will be interesting to see how much longer Carter gets. 41% K-rate & 0 HRs is an extremely ugly sight. Not that Krauss has been much better, & Guzman has actually struggled more against lefties than righties in the early going.

Even if the team calls up Singleton, who goes? Does the team consider calling up Stassi, and dumping both Krauss & Carter?

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not just 1-3, but also Keuchel. He's shown signs since last season that he can be a legitimate part of a rotation.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Guzman batting 3rd?

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jonathan Villar is having a tremendous game.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yes he is.

This game, so far, is the way I imagined this offense to look. Stealing, moving guys around, a clutch play/hit here and there.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Obie is one bad MFer.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Obie pissed to be taken out.

Don't mess with the Obie!

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Springer just missed a homer going the other way.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Damnit Qualls

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Unbelieveable but expected.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

oh well. #1 pick 2015 i guess.