1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 7, 2024.

1. Nick

Nick Member

wtf?

He's been compensated quite well, regardless of which inning he's being asked to pitch.

If he didn't think his regression was going to lead to the organization acquiring or developing a replacement, that's on him. If he doesn't have the fire/desire anymore, that's also on him.

While I would love this to simply be a mental yip of him having to pitch a non-9th inning, his outings/results suggest otherwise. Also its not as if he is that distanced from being the 7th or 8th inning guy... hell, he was one of the few non-closer all-stars simply from being an elite late inning leverage reliever.

BMoney and IBTL like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I just think Pressly needs a change of scenery and apparently has some teams interested.

He has not fallen THAT far off physically. Much of this must be mental/emotional.

Maybe he would accept a trade to a team that could use him as a closer.

Maybe Arizona? A reunion w/ Strom.

Pressly for Christian Walker with prospects going one way or another to equal the value.

If prospect(s) go to Arizona it could be pitchers Strom worked with and likes. Any pitching prospect from 2021 or prior is likely not untouchable.

Arizona is probably reloading for 2025. This year is just a W.S. hiccup season but the young talent is still there.

Strom fixes Pressly.

Then they trade Sewald as a rental to a contender, install Pressly as closer this year and next.

lnchan likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Member

The Astros still need high leverage relief pitchers... even if he gets relegated to the 6th or 7th inning.

Trading him to get him better doesn't really help the Astros as much as him just not continuing to embarrass himself and the team that has compensated him quite well and developed him into the elite relief pitcher that he turned out to be.

Stephen66 and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. Screaming Fist

This reminds me a little bit of the Giles situation where I felt bad luck was at least as much to blame as poor performance but the issues eventually metastasized in either case to the point where he had to be moved.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree his current role would become a hole, but much like Jose Abreu, continuing to put him out there to avoid having a hole is not a winning strategy.

Having a player who is performing poorly can be worse than not having anyone established in a designated role.

Montero has been solid and can be a stop gap and I think Dubin has potential to step up as well.

I think adding a leverage reliever would be preferred but just using what they have would be preferable to Pressly as he is performing.

Addition by subtraction.

And, unlike Abreu, Pressly actually has value and has been the subject of interest from other teams.

6. Nick

Nick Member

There may be interest... but doubt any team will want to pay him for this year and next year at his closer rate.

If the Astros have to eat salary regardless, I'd rather they just hang on to him. They're not going to get much back in value and while Montero/Dubin may be able to step up, I have concerns about every pitcher in that bullpen not named Hader... and Hader isn't all ***** and giggles as it is.

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It's in his head. A change of scenery probably turns him around. Like so many others on this team this year, he's just not performing up to expectations. It's an epidemic. So many guys underachieving at the exact same time.

8. raining threes

If by cursed you mean pitching Pressly in high leverage situations, then you're correct. If Pressly was anywhere near as good as he was last year the Stros would probably be in 1st place in their division.

Houstunna likes this.
  9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Great Scott could fill in this role I think.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Scott, but feel like he is a guy (like Martinez) who is a bit short on "stuff" and needs to be protected a bit. Lower leverage and possibly even limit multiple exposures to hitters.

Great #6 or 7 guy in a pen but mediocre #4 or 5 guy.

Little Bit and BMoney like this.
  11. BMoney

BMoney Member

I guess the only question is the vesting of his contract as he is aging and his numbers say he is in decline each month since July of last year.

12. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

[Q
    DoUOTE="bloodwings19, post: 15234287, member: 19208"]This is Brown's fault for not giving Pressly at least little more money because he got demoted despite having 30+ Saves last year. Mentally, Pressly does not have that fire. Looking back what he said he didn't wholeheartedly agree to be a setup guy, but he only agree as a team player.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying Pressly is mad and blowing games on purpose because he got his feelings hurt?

13. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes

You have got to be kidding me JFC

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Given the current state of things, that is probably true for most of the players on the team.