1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 14, 2023.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Easy victories like when we have a six run lead after 6 innings?

2. Landry's Tooth

Yes, that's why I said I would like to add a bat. Also, would like a reliever who can be effective for 2 innings...

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Also considering that Maldy has turned into Gary Sanchez out there... you can make incredible throws but if you don't trust the catcher to get to the ball...

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I actually think the 2 inning reliever answer is France or Urquidy.

Rotation: Framber, trade acquisition, Javier, Brown, Urquidy or Brown. Spot starter: Bielak only if a starter must start on 4 days rest a 3rd consecutive time. Otherwise keep him stretched out in AAA.

5. Landry's Tooth

The downside is a decent starter costs you a lot more. I would rather gamble on Javier, Brown, or Urquidy getting back in a groove.

Cease costs you Gilbert plus 2 or 3 others. I think they could do better from another team.

Just my opinion... I'm optimistic they have enough time to figure out what is going on and adjust.

IBTL likes this.
  6. raining threes

I think they're looking hard att bringing in Stroman. While I like him a lot, who I would be looking at list looks like this,

Snell
    Hendricks
    Lynn

If I had to pay a lot for Stroman, I'm going big for Scherzer instead of Stroman. Scherzer is a proven big game pitcher. Stroman hasn't proven he can produce when the lights are their brightest.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree Cease is too expensive, but a rental like Stroman or Giolito should not cost Gilbert.

I think even with Javier and Brown pitching up to ability, this team has a huge hole in the playoff rotation.

In my opinion they are all but conceding game 4 of any series by starting anyone outside of the top 3 currently in the Astros organization.

raining threes likes this.
  8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The same guy that said the Astros don't want Justin Verlander around the team in 2021?

Speaking of last night, whose decision to pitch normally to Ohtani, 2 straight games in the 9th innings no less with a 3 run and a 2 run lead, respectively? Pitching coach!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

9. Screaming Fist

Javier looked better yesterday. Average vertical release point on his fastball was down to 5.62 yesterday where he's been in the 5.7-5.8 range since April.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

When a hitter is not the tying or go-ahead run, it's better to pitch to him than bring that run to the plate.

11. Landry's Tooth

Depends on the other offers. I doubt they part with Gilbert for a rental. Another team is offering top 100 prospects it would be hard to beat.

What did Randy Johnson cost? Verlander is a bad example because he was pitching poorly and was a large salary dump...

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I always thought when you have a hitter that can changed the game, you pitch around him even with bases open. Barry Bonds get a lot, like tons of walk for this reason. Pitchers not pitching him that can change the game and Dusty's managerial decisions is why Bonds has 0 championship.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That trade was 25 f**king years ago.

Teams don't pay remotely as much now as they did back then for rentals.

14. ThatWriterGuy

ThatWriterGuy Contributing Member

Ohtani has done a lot, it's not his fault the Angels GM sucks.

raining threes and IBTL like this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

Sure, and there are a lot more teams who make the playoffs now to bid up the price.

The Mets gave up Pete Crow Armstrong for Baez as a rental. MLB had him as their #5 prospect at the time.

16. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Got tamb that's good stuff

houstonstime likes this.
  17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You can do it. Nobody would pick him up off waivers.

18. Landry's Tooth

I think his service time influences that... also possibly details in contract...

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If someone picks him up on waivers they are responsible for the rest of his contract. Nobody will do this.

If he clears waivers, then he is a free agent. Any team can sign him for the MLB minimum, prorated this year. Teams will lineup for that !! The Astros will then have to pay the rest of his contract minus the minimum for him to pitch on another team.

raining threes and rockbox like this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"I still can't believe that last game or even that entire series. Did you see that Chas fellow? I think that's what he's called...Chas. You ever hear the name Chas before, Ed? (Ed: Haha...no sir!) Boy, those pitchers had tough times on both sides. Couldn't barely buy an out! And, all those homeruns. That's more runs to home than I've made since I've been working here at NBC doing late night! And, did you see that catch to end it by...is it...Tucker. They call him King Tuck! I wonder what they call him when he messes up a lot out there...King F**k? I don't think we can say that on live TV, Ed. What do you think? (Ed: lol....no sir! not a chance!)"

[​IMG]

"Good night, folks!"

[​IMG]