1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Official] Astros@ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It seems like every time a site starts tracking cumulative umpire call percentages, the site either ceases to exist or discontinues umpire tracking.

raining threes likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

Japan p*rn is innovative and progressive. One of the best exports to the entire world. I don't understand the censorship of Ds but it is what it is.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. The mafia (ahem umpires union) is highly connected.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The data used to judge umpires is owned by MLB. Whether it is at umpires request or Manfred being Manfred, I assume these sites get cease and desist letters from MLB. MLB has been very aggressive in the past on people using their data/IP even towards people promoting their product like pitching ninja.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who owns statcast?

Is it really IP data if somebody is individually tracking based on television k-zones?

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MLB. They decide how much is given to the public.

Someone could try to use the broadcast K-zone data, but doubt it would be as accurate as using data straight from statcast. Also, MLB would likely still send a cease and desist letter anyway, and doubt it would be worth anyone's time fighting MLB's lawyers.

Right now, it seems like we'll get pop up sites for a year or 2 and/or various twitter accounts that come and go based on the data. Baseball prospectus did track umps for a while if memory serves, but can't find it publicly now. Maybe they still do behind their paywall.

It is something very easy to do for someone with coding experience that the only reason it hasn't been done is that people with coding experience just aren't interested or that there is something making them not want to do it.

Edit: An alternative for cease and desists letters is that an MLB team hires the guys doing these sites/twitter accounts.

#346 Joe Joe, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Nick likes this.
  7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

In the near future the Astros have several roster decisions. Not sure what all the moves will be barring injuries.

1. The first is Odorizzi being put on the 26 man roster. At this point I would say Luis Garcia is the likely guy to be sent down. Bielak going 4.2 perfect innings probably saved his spot a couple more weeks, but with all the off days coming up I don't even know if either guy will pitch again before Odorizzi comes back. On a side note, that performance from Bielak lowered his career ERA by almost a whole run.

2. Then in about a week Kent Emanual will have served his PED suspension and has to be put back on the 40 man roster. I don't see the Astros cutting him considering the lack of depth at starter right now. The most obvious moves to make room for Emanual would be designating Nivaldo Rodriguez or Taylor Jones for assignment. Another possibility would depend on how Framber, James, and Pruitt are healing. If one of them is expected to be out the first 2 months they could be moved to the 60 day IL making room for Emanual. A trade is another possibility, but probably unlikely.

3. The next move that will probably happen in a couple weeks is Pedro Baez coming off the COVID IL. Bielak or Taylor are probably the most likely to be sent down to make room for Baez. I would think Bielak is most likley to be sent down since Taylor is a lefty. Taylor would probably have to be really bad to get demoted over Bielak. The only other pitchers with options are Abreu, Stanek, Paredes, Javier, and Urquidy.

It's going to be interesting. Those 3 moves will be in the next couple weeks. Then several more moves could be needed when Scrubb, Pruitt, James, and Framber return. Pruitt has no options so either he's on the MLB roster or he is gone. Everybody in the pen with options probably doesn't feel all that secure with their job considering the guys that will be coming back.

Oh, and the last thing that is interesting is Francis Martes. He will finish his supension later in the year, and like Emanual would require a 40 man roster spot. Will be interesting to see how the Astros handle him.

9. BonziWellsGOAT

Fair enough lol I was born in 92 so I wasn't around for that

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Very good post.

No real answers, just some thoughts

I think something is bothering Raley. I could see him going on the IL to get some rest. On Bielak and Garcia, I hope Astros keep them up until MiLB starts. Abreu has pitched well enough so far, but would think he gets optioned before Garcia and Bielak until MiLB season starts. After MiLB starts, I expect Astros will send them down for James and Pruitt so they can stay stretched out.

I'm not sure on the high leverage hierarchy after Pressly. So far, Taylor has come in twice after Smith has **** the bed and once with a 2-run lead in the 8th. I think Taylor has taken Pressly's role as the fireman. I'd guess Stanek or Paredes gets optioned before him.

Javier being optioned for 12 days (I think this is the number) would get the Astros another year of his services.

If the Astros get healthy all at once, I think Astros may use the Dodger flu and have pitchers rotating on the IL with fatigue if they decide not to option some guys.

#350 Joe Joe, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

As far as I'm concerned, James can take his time coming back from his hip surgery. I want to make sure he's 200% healthy.

donkeypunch likes this.
  12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Nah Joe Smith has to go at some point he is pitching poopoo

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did not know Buck is a Astros superfan.

I like.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just shoot right into my veins, I love this Buck.

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure I've still got my "Houston Police Department 4, New York Mets 0" t-shirt packed away somewhere. Yeah, f*** those guys.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is 2:53 PM and the Athletics are losing.

TWS1986 and jim1961 like this.
  17. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Life is good.

raining threes and jim1961 like this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

It would be better if bauer gets rocked and the a's lose

TWS1986 likes this.
  19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

what about it Bauer gets nailed for cheating?

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That would be like nailing the Astros for sign stealing. Bauer's an @ss, but he's only cheating because he felt like he was behind what other pitchers were doing.