1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] A's @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 24, 2014.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3rd error on Springer already.

2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Dominguez would have bunted, they would have scored on a villar groundout. Pretty easy decision in baseball in that scenario. Not for the Astros I guess.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Ok, assuming everything else would have occurred exactly the same even if they would have bunted, changing the senario. I understand wanting the team to bunt in certain situations, all i'm saying is that this team is horrible at making contact and situational hitting, so what works for many teams isn't necessarily the thing to do with us.

But maybe it is all Porters fault, maybe we really do have the needed talent and ole Bo just screws up the whole thing

4. bobrek

You are assuming too many things:

1. Dominguez getting a successful bunt down considering he has ZERO sacrifice bunts in his career.

2. Providing that Dominguez did get the bunt down, that the game would have played out the exact same way. No way of telling if Villar would have still hit a grounder to the right side. For all we know, Porter would have called for a squeeze in that situation.

5. The Beard

Yea, the savior should have been here a long time ago, and if he had been then he would have already gone through this "rough" period and would be dominating

i think

6. bobrek

Regardless of the reason he started the year in AAA, Luhnow's public statements on learning right field and making better contact are spot on.

7. bobrek

One other thing, why would that one run have mattered considering you think everything would have played out the same?

8. The Beard

Yep, no doubt about that

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep... they probably should offer him that 7 year 23million dollar contract again. ;)

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Im feeling a comeback win in the bottom of 9th to jumpstart their ALW dominance. Bo Knows!!!

11. bobrek

It would be interesting to see his reaction this time. That was an incredibly bold move on his part.

12. The Beard

Looks like Porter incredibly mis-used our talented pen again...damnit Bo

13. bobrek

Will Lowrie talk about how embarrassing that was?

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was an incredibly bold move by the team to offer him a contract with zero MLB time.

Then again, not going to say anything after just 10 games.

15. Buck Turgidson

But you were more than happy to say things before those 10 games (or 10 months) ;)

Worst defensive team in the history of MLB, or *the* worst defensive team in the history of MLB? Just watched a replay of parts of the game, my buddy used the word "slapdickery", which I think is appropriate.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep... and he probably would have put up the same sort of performance LAST April. :) Part of my reasoning was always to have him up here to get him through this sort of adjustment ASAP (and if he never gets through it, you find out sooner rather than later).

All of this goes to show you that there's absolutely nothing like the major leagues. A, AA, and AAA are all much closer in comparison. The big leagues is an exponential jump... from the competition, to the stadiums, to the everyday lifestyle. And most guys either need adjustment time, or they need multiple call ups.

I know the front office is enamored by wanting each call up to be the last call up for the player... but its just simply not that common for all prospects to excel right off the bat (although after all that wait, it really would have been nice in this case).

17. crose

Supporting Member

I made that post before the wheels completely fell off in the 9th. I don't see how you guys are disputing getting a man to 3rd with less than 2 outs being a worse strategy than having your strikeout prone hitter "grip it and rip it". On most teams, having a 1 run lead heading to the 9th is a good thing and getting a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs gives you a far better chance.

And if our 8 hole hitter can't lay a bunt down, then god help us all....

18. bobrek

No one is disputing that. We are only disputing your claim that Villar would have followed up a bunt with the exact same play. No one knows how that inning would have played out if Dominguez would have laid down a successful bunt.

19. crose

Supporting Member

I agree. I can see how my post insinuated that, but I was just dumbfounded that we did not try and get carter to 3rd.

I thought that was baseball 101 in that scenario.

20. bobrek

Managers have to understand their personnel. Two things could come into play here:

1. Dominguez may simply not be a good bunter. Regardless of the fact he is hitting 8th, he is not a prototypical #8 hitter. That being said, if a manager intends to use a hitter in a bunting position in the batting order, then he should ensure his hitters work on their bunting.

2. Porter has doubts about the bullpen's ability to hold a one run lead and was hoping for something more.