1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] AOC for president 2024 thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Aug 18, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cable news is trash. There's my nuanced opinion on the matter. I think we are near universe agreement with that.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Their whole reporting style is almost always egregiously shallow.

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Reluctantly agree. Though If AOC was a senator for two years she would still have more experience than Obama had. His lack of experience, aside from his timid and contented centricism, was a major problem.

Not to mention that even now her experience is greater than small town Mayor Pete who is the older establishment's great millenial hope.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not for me, there’s so few candidates that support the policies I want enacted that I don’t have anytime to care about the little stuff.

Foreign policy is policy, I support AOCs positions on foreign policy.

Bureaucracy?

Building a coalition yeah I could see how she could have trouble with that considering the majority of the party is neo-liberal. I’m fully aware of that, I don’t support the neoliberal majority of the party, I support progressive socdem politics, any candidate that I support will have an incredibly difficult time building a coalition within the dem party due to this.

It’s not like if we find a nice enough progressive suddenly they will be liked and accepted, they will al be ostracized like Bernie/AOC, because they are fundamentally attacking the base of the party by standing for finance reform, by denying corporatism.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which are what? serious question

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Even less experience than AOC. He should consider running for Congress to gain at least some experience in Washington or national politics.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I understand your motivation but what good is it if you can't get anything accomplished?

It has nothing to do with nicenes, it's about being effective and not just a cheerleader of a cause.

Who is ostracizing AOC? She is more liked than many democratic representatives.

I really think you demonize the base way of the democratic party way to much and with better messaging can get a lot of the base on your side I know I am not that far.

What base do think is against finance reform or denies corporatism?

70% of the party is about that and Obama ran on it for 8 years.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm sure it is, OS. Google is your friend.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What's the point of supporting a certain way of politics if I won't support the candidates that run on those politics?

AOC is a highly ostracized figure, by both the right and the left.

The base of the DNC as constructed fundamentally can't support the politics I'm in favor of. There's too much money at play.

There was another oil refinery fire in Pasadena yesterday, and these companies will continue to subsidized, will continue to get tax breaks, while my family continues to breathe in refinery fires every couple of months. And why? Who supports dropping this campaign promise? A tiny example that resinates the same issue across the boards - Neo-liberal corporatism just doesn't put people, or our environment first, far too often for my liking.

Both parties are against campaign finance reform. Obama was "about it" but ultimately, wasn't about it.

fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

AOC is the only candidate that would be running on your preferred policies?

I am not gonna get into a back and forth on what you think the base of the DNC is or what they actually support, the base is actually made of people who support a lot of different positions.

Not gonna go well for progressives if they continue a battle of us vs them and ostracize the "base" of the party.

This victimization needs to stop as well AOC is a back bencher who is barely 2 years into politics yet somehow she should be the voice of the entire party because you like her policies.

Seems legit.

So do you think Obama was just lying or that he realized there was more important **** throw his political weight toward or try and get accomplished.

Should he have just put out an executive order.

What kinda powers do think Obama had or AOC would have?

#71 jiggyfly, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

Stop calling it victimization. Call it corporate influence. I don't care about AOC being "vicitimized" as an individual. People like @ThatBoyNick and me are worried about any politician that aggressively tries to change the lobbyist/revolving door culture in DC is going to get ostracized.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Man you just love trying to pick a fight with me.

Can you at least stay on topic and stop arguing things that nobody is saying?

AOC is not the only one trying to do that nor are progressives is AOC as ostracized as Nancy Pelosi or any other of a long list of democrats?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not a future teller I don't know who will be running in 2024, this thread was a gag we have no idea if AOC is running.

I know we aren't going to change each other's minds, that's okay.

It's not gonna go well for the American working class if the progressives don't become the base of the Dem party, my 2 cents.

I'm not victimizing anything, your wrong on this. You specifically asked why would I support AOC considering she would have a hard time building a coalition, I replied ANY truly progressive candidate will have a hard time building a coalition due to how the DNC is currently configured. I'm not b****ing, or being the boohoo victim, I'm just legitimately telling you how I see it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Nancy Pelosi is fighting money in politics?

She literally brags about her fundraising prowess with expensive dinner parties. That's how she entered politics in the suburbs of Maryland gaining connections through her father. She gained plenty of wealth from her time in Congress due to insider information:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-details-on-visas-attempt-to-influence-pelosi/

She is part of the problem.

MSNBC and CNN almost always unabashedly praise Pelosi regardless of context. They are far more critical of AOC who holds less power and is a junior congresswoman. The right wing attacks both but the mainstream coddles Pelosi like a innocent baby.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are a future teller?

I asked you that in hoping to have a discussion about what you want in a president and it seems you want a flag bearer for your cause and that's fine.

You then started ostracizing the base of the party and claiming how they would never get on board with anybody like AOC because they are Neo liberal and corporatist ( again with the labels).

It sad that you see it as an us vs them and you don't see the need to make your case without the demonization of people that don't agree with you 100%.

The bolded part speaks volumes and is drawing a line.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude WTF?

Please stop with the random topics.

You are making my point Pelosi is just as ostracized as AOC.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not a future teller on who will choose to run for president in 4 years? But I can have an opinion on where the country will go if our politics stay the same? You say you don't want to go back and forth but you reply with dumb stuff like this.

We disagree, I'm sorry that it's sad for you, I see it how I see it, as do you.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

MSNBC and CNN almost always unabashedly praise Pelosi regardless of context. They are far more critical of AOC who holds less power and is a junior congresswoman. The right wing attacks both but the mainstream coddles Pelosi like a innocent baby.

And Pelosi's grifting in Congress is very relevant.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no problem with your opinion what i do have a problem is with you stating things as if it's a foregone conclusion.

What was dumb?

You said you are not a fortune teller yet then declare you know what will happen to the middle class if progressive don't take over, please explain how that is dumb?

Why all the labels and can you not discuss differences without demonizing the entire base of the party you want to take leadership in?

RayRay10 likes this.