1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] AOC Derangement Syndrome in full force thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

King1 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he just wants to date AOC

Salvy and King1 like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most people on here would get destroyed in a debate with any politician. But no one thinks that they themselves would.

Corrosion and King1 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

pretty sure just about anyone here could take Feinstein on and hold their own

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That's how you shutdown chowd. He's never ready for a rational response and thinks people on the internet get as angry as he does

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and in fact I disagree with the "any politician" claim 100%. One of the most dispiriting encounters I have EVER had was with NY politician Barbara Lifton in a discussion about gun control, in particular about the NY S.A.F.E. Act which she CO-SPONSORED. She was completely unaware of what was in her own bill; showed no ability whatsoever to think on her feet and answer questions; and basically convinced everyone in the room that she was quite likely the dumbest human being any of us had ever interacted with.

So no, in fact I think many of us would more than hold our own with a great number of "politicians" . . . .

Corrosion and King1 like this.
  7. King1

In a public setting; probably accurate as most of us aren't professional public speakers. In private; I would certainly take my chances against AOC. I despise Hilary Clinton for example but absolutely acknowledge she'd destroy me. See how easy that is?

Corrosion likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

She didn't actually make an excuse, she said she doesn't even have to give one.

There's a lot to criticize AOC on, but this attempt to put her in the crosshairs on stupid things like this only end up making her look good. This is what @Nook means that it's you guys that are giving her power

Corrosion likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

once again I think you're kidding yourself Lou. AOC has turned down many, many invitations to "debate issues." She is a coward in that regard

Salvy and King1 like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You're right, I should have qualified that a bit - any competent politician.

Salvy, King1 and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. King1

Damn. My post cut off. Half of these people are idiots (i:e AOC) but depend on their grandstanding to the public just like faking being handcuffed. You get them in a private setting and it changes. Nobody is going to convince me that AOC or Omar are intelligent.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

your point is well-taken, on many issues a sincere and competent politician is likely to be fairly well-informed. On the other hand like any other human being, politicians can stray beyond their core competencies and end up just flapping their gums like anyone else.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Absolutely, but it's one thing to debate on the internet when you have the power of google and another thing to do in person. Meaning that the other person debating them typically has the same disadvantages.

Salvy likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya there are politicians I despise like Ted Cruz who I very well know would destroy me in a public debate.

But then there is Lauren Boebert... Now if it was a debate about who can be louder, sure, but in a controlled debate environment I don't see how the vast majority of posters here wouldn't make her look stupid.

AOC isn't Lauren Boebert.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

AOC would get destroyed by many many right wing politicians or personalities. Shapiro, Crowder, Charlie Kirk, Marjorie Green and the list goes on....

I think you, @Nook and @fchowd0311 are seriously overestimating AOC... Jokes aside, she has been good as an activist with the emergence of woke culture. Her main job has been to connect with young liberals in order to push strong subjects that set the narrative for Dems. Any tough subject from abortion to feminism to immigration she is there. Radically there. Its great she has charisma and connection with young libs, her radicalism has also made her a target of ridicule. Because the things she says and does for the cause are sometimes ridiculous. I actually had a slight bit of hope for her, that maybe just maybe she could push her beliefs while also respecting those who don't share hers. I don't think her own party likes or respects her and as soon as she is no longer useful or needed she will get dumped.

16. Nook

Nook Member

There is no political advantage for her to debate anyone. She already gets plenty of attention without debating.

To be clear I am not saying that I agree with her politics or even believe that she is technically a great debating.

I don't think he is likely to be good on either count, but she is extremely charismatic, she is crafty and while some of her opinions are extreme to someone over 40, that isn't the case with a lot of women and youngish (40 and under) voters.

Some of it with her is generational.

She would likely lose technically in a debate against some of the names you listed (not Marjorie Green), but it doesn't really matter. First, charisma is a huge part of the outcome of a debate to the common person. Ronald Regan, John F Kennedy, Andrew Jackson, Donald Trump and a number of others were not considered good debaters but still ultimately held their own at the ballot box because of charisma. Nixon really out debated Kennedy, but it didn't matter because of appearances. Those that listened to the debate on radio strongly favored Nixon, those that watched on television strongly favored the younger and more charismatic Kennedy.

So when it comes down to "winning" a debate, it isn't as straight forward as it seems.

I don't agree with AOC on a number of points, but she has "it", which is the charisma and a certain type of uniqueness that is very rare and can carry her a long way. She also has demographics on her side, as her support is very strong with women and with millennials. The older voters are dying out, and some of the things she has long championed are becoming more mainstream.

Not every politician with that degree of charisma becomes President.... there are those that didn't, but a lot of the most prominent have... Obama, Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton, Trump and more.

As far as her party "dumping her", it doesn't really work that way in the modern political model. They would have and have wanted to dump her like an unwanted step child, but it doesn't work. She will be a force as long as she avoids scandal and puts in the effort.

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

The "it" is with young radical liberals... Almost exclusively, you yourself don't agree with AOC... Its going to be very difficult for her to mend how older more mature people see her. Maybe you are right and she does quickly become a force within the Dem party but that's not exactly who you want to be a force. She is an easy target because she contradicts herself constantly, because she pulls stupid stunts like the fake arrest. How hard was it to be honest? "We were protesting women's rights to abortion and were detained and removed from the premises, we will continue to fight" She turned herself into the butt of the joke, like she did with Stein.... Like she did with crying at the border. I wouldn't want her as a force on my team....

Nook likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You can just say you ideologically disagree with her. Why pretend that any manner I'm which she expresses her views is going to satisfy you?

Nook likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly I think it depends on the subject, the rules and forum of the debate. From what I’ve seen of many politicians is they aren’t that smart but have a narrow set of skills. Good politicians know how to play to a crowd and manipulate perception rather than give actual cogent or on topic debate points.

This is why most political debates aren’t really about who answers the questions best or undercuts their opponent’s positions but who can deliver and stick to their talking points the best.

Nook likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not an AOC fan but she does appear to be smart with some very astute political
    instincts and a lot of charisma.

I think her and the rest of the Squad are far more interested in political grandstanding than actually getting things done. That said I expect her to go far as she understands not just the medium of social media but also the mindset. It isn’t really about getting bills passed for things like carbon offsets but about the impression that you’re fighting. Especially when its against the old guard in your own party.

Nook and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.