1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 24, 2020.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5 run lead... why do it?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

xrays negative. Rejoice!

Did Blummer just imply that he would hit a bong?

RayRay10, raining threes and bcast89 like this.
  3. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Center cut fastball crushed it like he should have. Wtg Straw!

RayRay10 and J.R. like this.
  4. donkeypunch

5. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn’t have done it... I think Baker wants a fresh pen and likely didn’t want any chance of the game going south. Valdez is a horse but it made me lift an eyebrow.

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Like what I see from Perez. Only confident in two pitches but he has good stuff and is now throwing it for strikes.

Obviously the injuries this year hurt and the record isn’t great but the Astros young players have played extremely well from top to bottom.

7. HTown2017Champs

I wouldn't rejoice too hard just yet. Last time a star player's MRI reported "negative" he ended up needing season-ending surgery. Don't anticipate this one will be that bad but I could see this being like Bregman (from "day to day" to stint on the DL)

htwnbandit, RayRay10 and donkeypunch like this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I interpreted it as an alcoholic beverage

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  9. donkeypunch

Could be, but we all know hes a West Coast guy.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Like that he just threw a couple of changeups to Simmons.

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Good job by Perez, showed a lot of confidence and the ability to pitch deep into counts and still get outs.

Also Jason Castro really sucks... so glad he isn’t an Astro. Maldonado isn’t perfect but he can still sometimes hit a pitcher with good stuff, Castro cannot.

RayRay10, raining threes and TWS1986 like this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

That's a winner!

Notes/observations:
    Tucker has finally arrived! And he now has a higher OPS than both Correa and Gurriel.
    Valdez looks to be legit, in large part due to his spike in velocity, improved command, and especially his curveball. If the league does not "figure out" his curve he is a legit #3 starter.
    Altuve not quite out of the slump just yet. Looked lost at times and now dangerously close to the Mendoza line again.
    Tomorrow, Javier gets the ball in the first game. The second? Maybe Sneed? Castellanos is probably only in for relief since he threw 62 pitches just 2 days ago.
    Also, with the off-day, is Bielak's turn in the rotation skipped? Or does he keep his spot and the others are moved back?

RayRay10, everyday eddie and TWS1986 like this.
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

An x-ray is much different and more specific to skeletal injuries than an MRI. If he had broken something there is no missing that on an x-ray.

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I sense another World Series championship baby!

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The LA Times wrote an article about last night's game with the headline "Did Patrick Sandoval tip his pitches?" as he got through the first inning in only 5 pitches and then the Astros jumped on him after that hitting everything.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And he had to throw in this paragraph

"Maddon did not go so far as to accuse the Astros, whose 2017 World Series title was marred by their electronic sign-stealing scandal, of banging on trash cans to alert hitters of what pitch was coming."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ange...p-pitches-angels-starter-struggles-astros-mlb

17. Nook

Nook Member

This whole thing is stupid.

Teams have been looking for "tells" and pitch tipping for over 100 years. Hell, Babe Ruth was tipping his pitches at one point with the Red Sox and it was the only time that he ever struggled on the mound.

If He was tipping his pitches, then that is on the pitcher and manager. Maddon always finds something to whine about. He needs to do his job, look at the film and talk to his pitcher..... instead I am sure he will take his team to a roller rink or a cooking class.

18. Buck Turgidson

Sandoval was not exactly throwing great pitches...he's lucky Brantley's 2B stayed in the park (83mph down the middle), Reddick's RBI singles were right over the plate, and Tucker's HR was a down and in 93mph FB to a hot hitter in a spot where LHB typically have success.

I ****ing hate Joe Maddon.

eta: Sandoval's given up 5R in each of his last 3 starts, if anyone wants to remind Joe Sandoval and the LA Times

Reading is fun-damental. Wasn't Maddon, it was Sandoval, and he wasn't really accusing them of anything, more of a "it's something I need to fix if the video shows anything."

I still ****ing hate Joe Maddon, and the quote @bobrek posted from the Times writer is just idiotic.

#78 Buck Turgidson, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    RayRay10, awc713 and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Imagine a stoned booth with baggie lol

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Double header today.

RayRay10 likes this.