1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 24, 2020.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Part of the reason Colorado is no longer a winning team is because we swept them.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. The Astros are 6-1 against the Rockies and Giants. Two teams that are collectively, 1 game under. While that doesn't factually change the statement, things aren't that dire.

3. Buck Turgidson

7 games with the A's, I do believe. **** 'em up, no excuses.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rested bullpen should only need to pitch in two games in this next series assuming Valdez and Javier tag team the last game. Here's to hoping Click can add a reliever or 2 so the bullpen can cover the 2 games.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

****ing evan grant, what a hack

6. Fantasma Negro

Watching Gerrit Cole get rocked in a Yankees uniform brings me joy

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It brings a smile to my face.

2 of those home runs were BOMBS.

8. Buck Turgidson

"Anything travels that far outta have a ******* stewardess on it."

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I just went and loaded that game to watch. I hadnt realized Cole pitched that one yet. I look forward to it!

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Cole certainly earned every cent of that massive contract based on what he did the last two years... after years of being somewhat of a dissapointment.

That being said, anybody who expected him to be "better" than he was last year... or possibly come close to replicating that for not just one year but NINE years... is fooling themselves.

In baseball, you basically pay exorbitant contracts for past performance. The Astros will have always gotten the best years, at the best value, for Gerrit Cole.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Glad Cole lost I guess, but he’s still having a really good year. He’s a damn good pitcher and would look REALLY nice back in our rotation!

raining threes and RayRay10 like this.
  12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree, but, man, wouldn't it have been nice if Luhnow signed him to a 5/$150MM extension when they traded for him?! I'm sure Boras might have spit on it, but nice to dream :D

raining threes, RayRay10 and Nick like this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Was this something that was actually offered? Or just you fantasizing?

desihooper likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was that ever even close to being a possibility though? I know a lot here were cautiously optimistic that Cole would improve... but also were resigned that maybe he’d be a solid #2 that could recapture some of the form that had him in contention for one Cy young when he was a pirate. The pieces they gave up were not necessarily anybody who would go on to super-stardom... but Moran/Musgrove were legit MLB players with plenty of club control and at the time Feliz was expected to be a key bullpen cog.

Even in his early starts in 2018, there were a lot of concerns about his inconsistency. When he started flashing a huge uptick in velocity, along with abandoning the 2-seamer, people started realizing that he was almost a completely different pitcher than what he’d been in his entire career up to that point. His post-season in 2018 was a little flat... but 2019 put an end to any possibility that he’d be affordable to any team other than the Yankees.

My buddy is a big Yankees fan and he’s “hoping” that Cole will deliver them at least 1 championship... but again, its doubtful that he’ll ever be as dominant as he was in in his time in Houston.

raining threes likes this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

Cole was great for us and never got as much run support as he deserved in his two years here. I bear him no ill will. That said, I hope he's successful personally but his contract turns into an albatross that heavily contributes to sinking the Yankees into disappointing year after disappointing year.

raining threes and htwnbandit like this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Your buddy is an idiot.

17. bobrek

Cole had good run support over all in 2019. There were a handful of games where they had 3 or less runs, but that's normal

2, 0, 6, 3, 4, 1, 11, 6, 11, 3, 4, 6, 5, 4, 15, 2, 5, 6, 4, 8, 11, 11, 8, 7, 14, 6, 8, 3, 21, 4, 3, 3, 8

Most pitchers would kill for those numbers over the course of a season

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fanboy dream... my guess is they probably talked about something kinda like Luhnow tried with Springer, Singleton, and others. I mean, why wouldn't they if they thought they had some untapped potential and a chance to buy low? Luhnow really was a freaking genius GM and always tried to maximize any potential advantage.

19. bobrek

And just like that, the Astros are 4-8 against teams with winning records.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Suck it haters...

RKREBORN, Chilly_Pete and RayRay10 like this.