1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 28, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I assume it's this quote he's referring to. Nothing really...

I'm not going to be the one that questions Pujols' character...

#1181 leroy, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Agreed, there was nothing controversial or demeaning in that quote whatsoever.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Classy move by Pujols... and speaks volumes that nobody on the Astros is a traditional 1B who can give that sort of advice, and nobody has an "extra" glove either.

Hell, if Bagwell isn't too busy grabbing boobs and getting blitzed, maybe he's got an extra one lying around and could offer to help the kid out.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

With this sweep, Astros' odds of winning division went from 46% to 68%. Well done!

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Pujols donates a ton of money towards special need children.

He is a quality guy.

6. conquistador#11

:grin: i let my watt state of mind take over sometimes. he said that, I took it as..." Look at me stare down Mchugh and flip the bat. They've been booing me here since I deflated Lidge and I love it. I'm Albert pujols, they will be looking up at us when this is over."

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He literally scares the ever-loving **** out of me when he bats; he always will. But, yeah - seems like an incredibly decent dude. Greatest NL 1B of all time; his prime is just bananas.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Seriously, you really believe Jim Crane can not afford to spend money on a pair of gloves and you will think the Astros front office will be dumb enough to ask a player to play 1B and not giving him the proper equipment?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did I ever say anything about Jim Crane being cheap or the front office being dumb???

Of course Valbuena will eventually get his own 1B glove... but as of last night, he didn't have one... and since the Astros don't have a true established 1B on the roster (a rarity amongst most MLB teams) to provide an "extra" glove, he had to ask Pujols.

#1189 Nick, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I wonder if it wasn't more the case that his new glove wasn't broken in yet and Pujols offered him one that already was?

Still, you would think he would have gone to Carter/Singleton to borrow one if he needed to. Pujols may have just offered and he accepted since they seem to be friendly.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps... not really going to read that much into it.

Maybe Valbuena's hands don't fit Carter's/Singleton's? Maybe Singleton/Carter only have one glove, which doesn't bode well in case something happens to it? Maybe they put a hex on those gloves... and you have to sacrifice a live chicken to remove it?

Who knows...just joshing.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh....Singleton's glove would be of no use to Valbuena unless he turned it inside out.

1 person likes this.
  13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If you read anything on the media and will believe everything that you read and even can draw a conclusion of "nobody has an "extra" glove either."

You should stay away from the internet, its very dangerous.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet you were the one drawing a conclusion of Jim Crane being cheap and having a dumb front office as the reason for this glove situation... hmmm?

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If Valbuena was playing 1B last night in the 6th inning due to :

1. Carter broke his leg in the second inning.
    2. Singleton got hit by a pitch to his head on the third.
    3. and Gozalez was thrown out of the game for arguing a call in the fifth.

then sure, I can understand he "COULD BE" playing with a gloves not suited for 1B.

There is a position in all major sports team called equipment manager, including sometime they will do whatever the players asking them to do, like Brady's .

16. conquistador#11

we just swept the angels and we talkin' bout' gloves! push comes to shove you just open a milk carton and put it on your hand.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Welcome to the new era of media and information,

that's why garbage show like the ESPN First Take has such a high rating, because nonsense, glorified, dramatized stories and arguments does have market, it doesn't matter what the facts are.

18. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

This is Albert Pujols to me.

"Rookie Of The Year"

This ones for Mommy.....

[​IMG]

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jon Singleton to be optioned to make room for Carlos Gomez <a href="http://t.co/WdOgEeuZPc">http://t.co/WdOgEeuZPc</a></p>&mdash; Reid Laymance (@ReidLaymance) <a href="https://twitter.com/ReidLaymance/status/627146721512927232">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Damn it.

20. SuraGotMadHops

I'm sure Luis had a 1B glove folks, no pro baseball team sends a guy to first base without one, but if Pujols offers you one of his gloves, you'd use it rather than your own too.

It's like bringing your own glove to the playground, but Benny Rodriguez offers you one of his, you put yours away and use that one instead.