1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2020.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My emotions last night...James gets a shutout inning. Incredibly excited for James. Even posted how it was great he got through a month without giving up a run as I thought here comes Javier for 2-3 innings with Pressly in reserve in case Javier runs out of heat.

James comes out....I think....Man, Dusty has been good at not putting pitchers in situations that stress their abilities. I expected it with Pressly possibly being stressed by pitching 3 games in a row, but not James. Then I thought, James probably is given one base runner trying to give James a shot to shorten Javier's outing by an out or two.

I check twitter to see if Dusty has Javier ready. Nothing about Javier in the pen. Start to get worried like when James originally came in. James gives up a base runner. He's still in there. Pray for a double play as I don't think anyone is up in pen ready if a second runner gets on.

Second runner gets on. I expect James either to serve up a goofer ball or walk bases loaded.

3. CinematicFusion

The team that has the lead before the shadows cross the pitchers mound wins.

desihooper likes this.
  4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If just one of the quartet of Smith, Devo, Peacock, James could consistently contribute, the whole complexion of the bullpen (and team) would be dramatically improved. Literally one solid bullpen arm away from being *that* much more dangerous even with the abomination that this season has been due to COVID-19. Bats need to go put up a 10-spot today.

I liked Baker moving Correa up in the order yesterday. What do y'all think of maybe giving Diaz another start today - maybe at first for Yuli?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Greinke isn't going to be able to go today, I'd still name him the starter... can always swap him out for Javier before the game without penalty, right? #Gamesmanship

6. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Cole was ready to go in the last game of the season. The Astros have 1 guy in Lance we can depend on to pitch with 2 games left....

7. CinematicFusion

...and yet we are one game away from the ALCS.
    Pretty awesome.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did people expect us to go undefeated in the post season?

9. Handles

Handles Member

I’d start Diaz at DH but I trust Yuli at first base. Great glove and he’s shown more than enough historically for me to trust him offensively too.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

it's only rational to think that way isn't it? :)

Kim likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No. But holding a 3 run lead with 9 outs to go, with the right pitchers put in, is an expectation I would think any playoff team would have.

lnchan and everyday eddie like this.
  12. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

4d chess. We sweep two rounds and get cold waiting. Or take the extra sweat by punting a game. I hope Fiers is forced to pitch. Win win

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Ideally they go with Greinke, Javier, Paredes, Pressly today. If Greinke could give them 3-4 innings that would be huge.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Horrible. Sounds even worse on replay.

plenty of posters here were more than happy to have James try and go a 2nd inning. Hell, sometimes he does look unhittable.

But to not have anybody else ready to go in case people got on base? Like I said earlier... malpractice.

RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So no team has coughed up a lead this post season?

Or ever?

I know it was a tough loss but **** happens and the freak out is a bit over the top.

RockFanFirst, YOLO and RustyHarden like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you lose with your best options, you live with it.

sometimes the other team is just better.

asking James to pitch a 2nd inning, something he hasn’t done all year... after not pitching at all for the last 3 weeks... was a bad decision.

Cant take for granted games you have a shot at clinching in. Especially when pitching is no longer a given the deeper these series go.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You act like anybody else he brought in was guaranteed to not give up those runs.;

Who took anything for granted?

I can agree it might have been a bad decision but you don't have all of the info that went into that decision , I hate placing blame when all the relevant info is not available.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Grienke gets the nod. Hopefully he is sharp and we can close this thing out today.

RayRay10 and desihooper like this.
  20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Anybody else but James. At least with someone else, you throw a dart at the board and say "maybe he can get through this". Not that the confidence meter is at an all-time high if he brought in say Raley immediately after James 1st inning, but almost anyone gives you a better chance than automatic HR Josh James.

#2160 TWS1986, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    conquistador#11 likes this.