1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Yankees vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

Did they mean to say 3 days rest and 4 days rest?

Or did the Phillies employ a 6 man rotation all year? Hard time believing that as they have no depth whatsoever in their starting pitching.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They have no depth. That is why they were the 6th seed.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are off days. Those stats look correct.

On a side note for he regular season:
    JV has a 0.63 ERA on 6+ days of rest.
    Framber 2.33 ERA on 6+ days of rest.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3733161/2022/10/27/astros-phillies-world-series-insider-predictions/

Let’s not bury the lede: The Astros are going to beat the Phillies in the World Series. The series will be over in five, maybe six, games.

That’s the consensus of a nine-member panel — three active players, three big-league coaches and three pro scouts — assembled by The Athletic to offer candid takes on the 2022 MLB playoffs. The panelists were granted anonymity so they could be open with their opinions.

Starting Rotation

Player 1: It’s close, but I think the overall edge goes to the Astros. With Justin Verlander leading the pack, and a strong group of younger guys behind him, it’s hard to bet against them. Advantage: Astros

Coach 1: Houston has the deepest stable of front-line starting pitching in the game. Philadelphia certainly isn’t lacking in this area with Zack Wheeler, Aaron Nola, and Ranger Suárez, combined with the traditional World Series schedule that includes two off days. Still, Houston has a decisive advantage due to its depth of stars on the mound. Advantage: Astros

Scout 1: The No. 1 and No. 2 matchups are pretty even, with Nola and Wheeler capable of going toe-to-toe with Verlander and Framber Valdez. The rotational advantage begins to tilt the Astros’ way with the Game 3 and especially Game 4 matchups. Four starts with the top 2s matching up gives Philly a puncher’s chance. Houston’s edge in this category is much slimmer in a seven-game series than it would be over the course of a season. Advantage: Astros

Player 2: The Astros have a solid presence with Verlander. The guy’s, what, 82 years old (laughs) and he’s throwing 100 mph? He might be able to throw 100 mph at 100. All those guys have been really good all year. Valdez set the MLB record for consecutive quality starts. Their whole staff seems to be pretty locked down. Advantage: Astros

Coach 2: It’s a wash at the top with Wheeler and Verlander. They’re on the same level, in terms of what they’ve done and where they’re at in their careers. After that, I think the Astros have a little more of an edge. They ran out (Lance) McCullers (Jr.) in the fourth slot (in the American League Championship Series), which was pretty interesting, and did some bullpenning in Game 3. In the two slot, it’s Nola and Valdez. I don’t love the way that Nola’s throwing the ball right now. He got touched up for six (earned) runs in Game 2 (of the National League Championship Series). The Astros haven’t really pitched Luis Garcia yet, either, which speaks to their depth. Advantage: Astros

Scout 2: Well, we know Philly has Nola and Wheeler. The Astros have got Verlander and Valdez. I’ve gotta go with Houston. Advantage: Astros

Player 3: That’s a tough one. I think I’d give it to the Astros by a nose because of their quality all the way through. I think they’re more talented all the way through. Advantage: Astros

Scout 3: I still think it’s Houston, just because once you get past the first two, there’s a little more depth there on the Houston side. As good as Nola and Wheeler are, they’re no Justin Verlander. Advantage: Astros

Bullpen
    […]

Offense

Player 1: This is close. I think I’m going to give the edge to the Phillies. I think they have a stronger lineup that provides a lot of power, along with experience. Advantage: Phillies

Coach 1: Harper, Schwarber, J.T. Realmuto, Rhys Hoskins and Nick Castellanos are a gauntlet to navigate, and they have been hot in October. Houston’s lineup, with Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman, Yordan Alvarez and Kyle Tucker, is plenty capable and fearsome, but you have to go with the hot hand here. Slight edge to Philly. Advantage: Phillies

Scout 1: My knee-jerk reaction is to say advantage Houston, but as Lee Corso might say, “Not so fast my friend!” With Alvarez, Tucker and Altuve struggling of late, and Harper, Schwarber and Hoskins hot, I’ll lean ever so slightly to a razor-thin margin in favor of the Fightins. Advantage: Phillies

Player 2: The Astros can put some stuff together. They’re a whole different animal right now. Advantage: Astros

Coach 2: The Phillies are built on momentum, whereas the Astros are just good. The four-day (layoff before the World Series) could play a role because a team that’s built on momentum could be hurt a little bit. I mean, you have (Phillies shortstop Bryson) Stott getting big-time hits, and Stott’s not a great offensive player. It’s interesting how the guys in Philadelphia’s lineup feed off each other. But I’ve gotta go (with) Houston’s consistency in its lineup. The Astros have some really good, experienced hitters, guys that have been in the World Series. They also have some youth in their lineup, guys like Jeremy Peña who have a knack for getting that big hit. So I see a little bit of an edge here for Houston, but not as much as on the pitching side. Advantage: Astros

Scout 2: The clutch-hit factor has really impressed me. But I also just think that, one through nine, the Phillies have the edge. Realmuto at catcher. At first base, (Houston’s) Yuli Gurriel has gotten some big hits, but Hoskins might be better. At second base, Altuve has stunk. Stott and (Alec) Bohm have played well, although Bregman is amazing. I really liked him. Alvarez and Schwarber in left, Chas McCormick and (Brandon) Marsh in center, and Tucker and Castellanos in right. I think Tucker’s better, but Castellanos is no slouch, either. And then Harper, who’s just been unbelievable at DH. He earned his salary this year just with that homer in Game 5. Advantage: Phillies

Player 3: For me, this is the hardest one. Going through the Astros’ lineup, there’s only one guy, Jeremy Peña, who expands the zone and expands the zone early. The entire lineup just puts together good at-bat after good at-bat. They don’t chase. They make you throw it in the zone. I think the Phillies have a chance to throw together a 10-2 win better than the Astros. The Astros are going to be able to grind you out. It’s the slightest edge to the Astros. Advantage: Astros

Coach 3: The Phillies’ lineup is really dangerous, I like the way that the bottom half of their lineup is performing. I think they have a little bit more instant offense than the Astros. I think the Astros are probably a more complete, efficient, well-rounded offense. But I’m looking at the way the lineups are swinging the bat right now, and the Phillies seem more deep and clicking. Advantage: Phillies

Scout 3: There are certain spots where I think Philadelphia’s better. I think their catching overall is better, but the Houston catcher(s) came up big during that ALCS. I think there’s an advantage to the Phillies in the corner outfield with Castellanos and Schwarber. But Houston’s good. I wouldn’t say it’s that big of an advantage. I think Houston has the slight advantage because they’ve been there, they make a lot more contact — they’ve both got power, but Houston makes a lot more contact than Philadelphia does. I think the Phillies’ offense is more susceptible to being streaky than Houston’s. I don’t think either team’s terribly fast. They have their guys that might run, but I don’t think the base running is going to be an issue. I think it’s going to come down to who hits the most home runs. Overall, I’ll take Houston’s lineup balance, but guys like Castellanos and Harper, they’re damn good. They can be as good as anyone Houston can roll out there. Up and down the lineup, I think Houston has more weapons. Advantage: Astros

Defense
    […]

Bench/Depth
    […]

Manager
    […]

everyday eddie and mikol13 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who wins the 2022 World Series?

Player 1: Given the streak that the Astros have been on this postseason, their pitching depth and strong offensive lineup, it’s gonna be a challenge for the Phillies’ hitters and pitchers. Pick: Astros in five games

Coach 1: The Phillies are hot and talented, but the Astros are too deep on the mound and too experienced in big games to go from running the table thus far to losing a best-of-seven to the third wild card in the NL. Pick: Astros in six games

Scout 1: This matchup feels a lot like last year to me. Atlanta played so well the second half and had some mojo in the postseason, much like Philly does now. But this Astros team is better than last season, and having Verlander available this time around is big. I think the Astros have the advantage in most aspects, but I don’t think this will be a walk-over for them. These two clubs are both very good right now and I am excited for this matchup. I’ll be disappointed if it doesn’t go seven. Pick: Astros in seven games

Player 2: I’ve just got a feeling. Take the last game (of the ALCS), the Astros go from being down one to capitalizing for two runs on one error. When a team is doing that — when they’re finding rhythm and are able to take something so small and turn a game around and win — that’s some solid momentum. The Phillies will put up a decent fight, but sometimes when a team is steamrolling, man, it’s really hard to slow them down. Pick: Astros in five games

Coach 2: The interesting part is the Phillies will be at home for three of the first five games. They feed off of that crowd. But I don’t know if that affects the Astros much because they just dominated (an ALCS) series in New York. It didn’t faze them. When you have a consistent team with veteran leadership in the lineup and in the dugout, that outweighs everything else. Pick: Astros in five games

Scout 2: As much as I want to pick the Phillies because of everything going on with them — I tell you, Philly’s got something going on — but … I think Houston is a better overall team. Also, I think the long layoff is gonna kill (the Phillies’) momentum. But here’s my question: With both (Championship Series) ending quickly, couldn’t MLB have stepped in to start the World Series a day or two sooner? I know, I know … TV runs everything. Pick: Astros in six games

Player 3: First of all, I think the Phillies are playing incredibly well. It’s hard to go against a team that hasn’t lost yet this postseason. They have so much firepower. They have pitchers with three or four of the five highest whiff rates in the postseason. That plays. It really does. I watched it a lot this year. I felt like contact numbers were up. I don’t know the numbers, it just felt that way. When you have teams that put the ball in play and your pitching isn’t getting guys to swing-and-miss, that adds stress to your team and the defense. The Astros just have a lot. They have guys that just keep coming at you, grinding it out. I think it’ll go six with as well as the Phillies are playing, I don’t think they’re as talented as the Astros, but playing as well they are, if a guy like Harper gets hot, Schwarber gets homer hot, or Nick puts them on his shoulders, like we’ve seen, they could win. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. Pick: Astros in six games

Coach 3: I think they’re a complete team lining up against a team with a lot of momentum, emotion and energy. That’s why I think it goes six games, I just think the Astros are the more complete team. Pick: Astros in six games

Scout 3: They’ve been through this. They’ve only got one World Series win under their belt, but they’ve been there a few times. It’s not the same bunch that won to a degree, but they’ve been there and know how to win. They have that formula — they’ve got the starting pitching, they’ve got the studs at the back of the bullpen and they’ve got the middle of the order that can hit. Pick: Astros in six games

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Damn. These types of things worry me. Meaning, yes the Astros should win but I still feel the sting of 2019/21. I am not walking in over confident.

Please just get it done this time.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Where is the WS thread? Gm 1 is mañana

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No team gets to the World Series without being good and playing well.

That said, I like this team better than the 2017 team and it's mostly healthy ( although Brantley would be very welcome)

2019 is widely regarded as best Astros team ever but even that team had its issues:

-the #4 starter, Wade Miley, inexplicably fell off a cliff just before the playoffs.

- one of the top bullpen arms, Colin McHugh, was hurt the end of August and missed the playoffs.

- Yordan was all-world but likely hit the rookie wall. September was the only month his OPS was below 1.000 and while he had an OK playoffs, he only had 1 HR in 65 PA.

- For the World Series, the bullpen was only about 4 deep ( Osuna, Harris, Smith, Pressly) with effective dependable arms which lead to 8 2/3 innings from much weaker pitchers who would not even make this team.

I really like this team's overall depth and health better than that one.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yup, this is not the first time we have been favored like this and both times it didn't end well :(

mikol13 likes this.
  11. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Just don't look at who is favored. Nothing gets decided on paper. It all is going to happen between the lines.

crose likes this.
  12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This team is different.

2005 team had no hitting

2018 team was decidedly weaker than 2017 team and ran into a buzz saw Boston team.

2019 team did not have deep pitching and lost 2 of top 10 pitchers ( Miley and McHugh) just before the playoffs.

2020 team pitched a ton of rookies and lost their best pitcher and hitter for all but 1 and 2 games and the entire playoffs ( Verlander and Alvarez)

2021 team remarkably was able to overcome no Verlander, but not no Verlander AND McCullers. Bats went cold but looking at the overall pitching staff it was made up of almost all league average or below pitchers.

Superior pitchers 1-12 is what is different this year.

Astros in 6

everyday eddie and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I get that feeling and I'm certainly more reserved about it than I was in either of those years.

But there's just something different this year. An inevitability about it. They won't necessarily blow you out by 10 runs. But they'll just keep plugging away and battering you until you just give in and start making mistakes. Once that happens, it's over.

[super cool story bro time] I used to play on this softball team in Austin. The team was comprised mostly of guys well above the average age of the league. I joined the team when I was 28 and was the youngest player on the team by 17 years. I played on it for 14 years. In that time, we'd go seasons undefeated against teams who were in their 20's and 30's. We didn't have one guy that could consistently hit it out of the park. We simply hit base hit after base hit, ran the bases well, pitched well, and played solid defense. We didn't make mistakes. And we constantly won, much to the chagrin of the far younger teams. They hated playing us. That's what this Astros team is. Possibly the most complete team I've ever seen and it just feels like they're going to win every single game. The Phillies defense is not good enough to withstand the amount of contact the Astros hitters make.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, that 107 win total is deceiving for the 2019 team. They were a great ballclub, don't get me wrong. But they barely got by Tampa in the ALDS, were destroyed in Game 1 of the ALCS by the Yankees, and had far less pitching depth. Remember, Osuna blew the save in Game 6 of the ALCS before Altuve rescued the team with his HR. And Will Harris blew the lead in the 7th inning of Game 7 of the World Series.

This is a better Astros team all around. The Phillies could pull off the upset, but the Astros aren't gonna beat themselves. Philadelphia will have to outhit and outpitch them.

crose likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much this. all the numbers prior, the regular season, comparisons, etc. none of that actually matters. both teams earned the right to get here in their own path. both have a shot at winning it. Everything they've done prior resets once again and it comes down to who will execute in the pressures of the world series. Who makes the least mistakes and who gets the most timely hits to get over the hump to win 4 times first.

Regardless if it's the Stros or not, houston has been spoiled with how good this organization has been for the last several years and I'm damn sure going to enjoy this moment of being in the WS again. The best professional sports organization repping the city of Houston by far. Go Stros

#5495 YOLO, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    desihooper likes this.
  16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That 2019 Team also had one of the best offenses ever that didn't do too well either.

Yeah I agree with you guys, but regardless of all those points I just get PTSD lol

17. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

The Astros really do need to win this one. I don't want to go on to be the 90'S Braves. Having the championships matters.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

breaking news

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

SHOCK!

[​IMG]

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Super cool story bro.:D