1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

it affected Abreu during one of his ABs for sure. the ball was six inches of the plate but the ump called it a strike. next pitch the ball was thrown in the exact same location so Abreu felt like he had to swing, did, and promptly was out on a ground ball. literally should have been 2-0 but instead another out. umps suck but mlb is enjoying it

Stephen66, astrosrule and Jake Tower like this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I disagree. Dusty isn’t a great in game but he’s ok. Dusty’s biggest weakness is the nonsense he engages in at 4:00 when filling out the lineup cards. What makes that so frustrating is that it’s literally the easiest part of the job.

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This.

4. Elienator

Elienator Member

I was replying to a comment about Chas performance in the post season a result of his being “mothballed” and not playing regularly. He’s also started 7 of the 10 Astros playoff games (now 8 of 11).

There are plenty of real reasons to complain about Dusty. There is no need to make up things about Dusty ruining Chas for the post season from keeping him out mothballed at the end of the season.

With Brantley, Dubon, and Chas one of them is going to be sitting in any game and Chas has been playing more than 4 out of every games as a starter and he’s pinch hit in several he didn’t start.

#10364 Elienator, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It actually was a 2-0 pitch and would have made it 2-1. I put a big star next to that sequence to talk about whenever we pod.

Stephen66 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

So he's a terrible manager, you aren't wrong in how he will manage tonight. Highly predictable and it must be so nice facing a team that you can gameplan for because you know damn well how its going to go. Think The Rangers are watching film on Brown or Urquidy? Rangers know exactly what Dusty will do in every situation and are prepared for it. This is why today feels hopeless for me....

8. RussE

RussE Member

Nope. Not in that situation. Stanek sucked too. I understand him not wanting to possibly waste Pressly in the 9th.

TexasTofu likes this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Best we could have hoped for I guess.

mightybosstone likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Man, it’s baseball. This isn’t basketball or football and all that isn’t all that big a deal. It’s an execution game more than a scheme game.

Elienator likes this.
  11. Elienator

Elienator Member

Yeah the Astros had a lot of hard hit balls and opportunities to score and didn’t capitalize. He was far from dominant.

12. RussE

RussE Member

Team is having problems scoring runs at MMP......let's start Maldy over Diaz. This could be the last time I EVER have to b*tch about this!!!!

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Bregman batting second has me a little worried. But I'm glad to see Yordan batting third. He needs as many at bats as possible.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

I understand not burning Pressly, makes sense.... Montero thou... No one does it...

RussE likes this.
  15. mightybosstone

Yeah, I'm glad to see Chas and Brantley both in the lineup with Alex and Yordan getting bumped up a spot. We need as many Yordan at bats as we can get in this game, and it feels like we've got the four most impactful bats this postseason stacked 1-4 here. Would have loved to see Diaz offensively, but we all know that wasn't happening. And at least if they have to pinch hit for Pena, I trust Dubon a lot more than I trust Singleton off the bench.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Seeing McCormick in the lineup and just wanted to get out ahead of it since my grandparents aren’t here to do it:

in case you’re wondering about those last 2: https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=doran

And no Irish celebration is complete without enjoying this beauty:

#10376 MadMax, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    Jake Tower and IBTL like this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like the line up tonight. Astros should hit Scherzer hard.

YOLO and MadMax like this.
  18. mightybosstone

Bregman's batting average may not look great, but for the series he's third in OPS (.879) and tied for second with four RBIs. I trust him to have a quality at bat in that spot more than I trust anyone not named Altuve or Alvarez.

Wulaw Horn, travfrancis and MadMax like this.
  19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

So I can’t think of one game Diaz was so obviously bad at catching that I thought he alone screwed up the pitcher and lost the game. Maldy has allowed pitchers to get shelled while he was behind the plate, he’s had passed balls, he’s failed to throw out runners and he frequently fails to hit. Are we to believe that Diaz is quaking in his boots so bad he’ll just forget how to catch in the playoffs ? Do I think Dusty should put Diaz in game 7? I’m not sure (I would’ve played him in other games in the playoffs for sure ) - but it’s too late to find out now. I guess when your entire offense goes dormant, leave Maldy in the game because #intangibles. With that said , I hope Maldy gets 2 HR and shuts me up .

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

True. He's not had a great series, but by default he's probably the best option for Dusty to bat 2nd. That says more about how awful the rest of the team has been. We were spoiled last year with Pena-Yordan-Bregman dominating. They were so good, they made up for Altuve's disappearing act in the postseason.