1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He doesn't have to be bad for the Astros to score runs. He can continue to be somewhat rusty, have spotty command, and be subject to early fatigue after 50-70 pitches. Or he can be exactly as good as Eovaldi was last night.... and the Astros should still be in a great position to win the game.

Rox Addict likes this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My prediction of how tonight's game starts:

Top 1st:
    Semien pops a 2-2 pitch up to Bregman.
    Seager flies out to Chas in CF on 1st pitch. Carter strikes out on 5th pitch.

Bottom of 1st:
    Altuve hits a screaming linedrive on the1st pitch off the wall below the tracks that ricochets into the Crawford boxes for a HR.
    Brantley works a walk on pitch 9.
    Bregman hits pitch #10 a mile high that lands in the front row of the Crawford boxes ( see Correa, Carlos 2017 WS game 5)
    Yordan is intentionally walked on 0 pitches.
    Abreu gets behind 0-2 but hits the next pitch into left center for a single.
    Tucker works a 5 pitch walk.

They go get Scherzer after 28 pitches, 3 runs in and the bases loaded with nobody out and bring in a lefty - Heaney? Bradford? Perez? to face Chas.

3. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

so it is said. so it shall be done.

from your lips to God's ears.

Stephen66 and Bregatron like this.
  4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Bouchy is going to pitch Jordan Montgomery in a crucial spot when Yordan is at-bat. He has been the only one to make him look completely lost at the plate.

Wulaw Horn and desihooper like this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Sborz K of him (and inducing the Brantley DP) were huge outs.

The more they see of Sborz the hope is that they can pick up on something. Its happened in long series involving the Astros before (happened to the 2017 dodgers bullpen).

Yordan did get two hits off Montgomery in game 5. Above holds true there as well.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

And he will be ready for it after watching video of his PAs all week.

Hits a screaming double off the RF wall scoring Altuve with the winning run and is named MVP.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did he finally learn how to throw left handed??? (@ DD, lol...)

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

In no way can you sit Tucker tonight. I get moving him down more, but the only that I can justify taking his spot is Diaz, but that is not happening. We need Tuck if we are going to win this thing.

Brantley has great numbers against Scherzer so I fully expect him to play tonight, and I'm expect him in the 2 spot. Breggy has sucked against Max so we need him to turn that around a bit and at least have productive outs if he is not going to get on base. The real question to me is Dubon or Chas. I'm inclined to go Dubon as he has had more success vs Scherzer, but it is extremely limited sample size for both of them. Mainly going Dubon because he strikes out less.

I guess my lineup is no change at all:

Altuve
    Brantley
    Breggy
    Yordan
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Dubon
    Pena
    Maldy (really wish we'd go Diaz, but we all know that is not happening)

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

DP

#10310 RocketManJosh, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

no. no more former players who can't perform in the postseason

Stephen66 likes this.
  12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Since Chas hasn't had a hit off of Scherzer, ever, I doubt we see him (limited ABs)

Altuve
    Brantley
    Bregman
    Yordan
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Dubon (though I would love to switch it up for a Chas bomb)
    Pena
    Maldy "(really wish we'd go Diaz, but we all know that is not happening)" and I'd love to switch it up for a Diaz bomb).

Here we go. Buckle your chinstraps. Bring the hat. It's gonna get real.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lance Berkman, Brandon Backe, Roy Oswalt and Dan Wheeler weren't available. And they don't sit behind home plate for these games.

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

We were bad at home against KANSAS CITY AND OAKLAND.

Jake Tower likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For reference, Meyers is about as close to Alvarez as a hitter vs RHPs as Maldy is to Diaz. How would fans react if Meyers was on the roster and played tonight for defensive purposes over Alvarez? Granted, Meyers is actually better defensively than Alvarez....

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The one wrinkle is that you're going to need two PHs back-to-back - so how do you sequence them? ***IF*** Singleton can draw a walk - which ties it - I'd rather then have Diaz up next because a strikeout isn't nearly as costly and, as you say, if he makes contact, it's more likely it'll do damage. (In fact, I'm curious if Diaz was on deck?)

You hate to leave bullets in the chamber - but I can see the thinking of Diaz being second there because, again, a strikeout - as we unfortunately saw - essentially ends the game.

Since 2022, Singleton has drawn 180 walks in 945 minor league PAs, a walk rate of 20%, which is really good. (Juan Soto led MLB in walks this year, and his walk rate was 19%.) And in the Mexican league in '21, he posted a .503 OB% (!) with a 27% walk rate.

So Dusty's play was a little more than *just* a hunch. It's what Singleton has been doing since his return. Hell, as unremarkable as his '23 season with the Astros was... he did have a higher walk rate than Bregman. (BTW, Diaz's walk rate is 3%.)

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet he would not be on any other teams roster... let alone playoff roster.... if the Astros didn't have a previous connection to him.

We also saw what happened Friday... Diaz first followed by Singleton. In this case, they could have even considered Chas before Singleton. They were down by 2. Needed every possible run there however you can get them.

Kudos to Mexican league stats though...I'd just rather go with the guys who are likely to be as good as their MLB numbers say they are, knowing full well that anybody (even some HS guys) could find lightning in a bottle at any point in any single game.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Lol. Fantasy is fun

19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Sorry, I was talking about being at work but it easily goes for the Astros as well

Uprising likes this.
  20. CinematicFusion

We won’t be tonight

mikol13 and whiskeyred like this.