1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If this team loses tonight the legacy will be of a wasted opportunity.

In 2015 they weren't ready

In 2018 and 2019 they ran into crazy hot teams

In 2020 they had no pitching

In 2021 they lost their ace in the LDS and didn't have the pitching to overcome it.

This year they are better than the Rangers, have better deeper pitching, and came into the playoffs hotter. It will simply be that the Rangers were hungrier, the Astros didn't have urgency, and the manager refused to believe everyone else that Diaz and Chas were better than Maldy and Dubon.

2. Screaming Fist

Last night was the kind of torment that Click sacrificed his job to protect us against lol

everyday eddie, Joe Joe and Tomstro like this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Game 7 - Cristian Javier, Justin Verlander, Hunter Brown, Ryan Presley

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If we don't win tonight, we don't deserve to go to the next round. If we win, it maybe better than all our clinching wins.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Game 7 - Cristian Javier, Justin Verlander, Hunter Brown, Ryan Presley

lastreg likes this.
  6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This is true, but it's also why I liked the previous Wild Card play-in game; the highest stakes for the non-division winners to get a shot.

whiskeyred likes this.
  7. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Please bench Tucker tonight, we’ll need max effort from everyone and he’s a total liability at this point.

roxallways, jim1961 and solid like this.
  8. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is hard to be optimistic about tonight. The team has been awful at MM, especially the last two months of the season. This has to be psychological. The other team's hitters don't have problems with the "background." It seems inconceivable that they would lose four games in a row at home in a playoff series, but here we are.

roxallways, ROCKSS and Tomstro like this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No way in hell is Verlander pitching in relief. Replace him with France in that lineup and I could see Dusty doing that. Although in the end, I think he'll stick with his usual trusted relievers from the 6th inning onward.

whiskeyred likes this.
  10. toby

toby Member

I really don't think Verlander should pitch in relief. He's good after about 10-14 pitches. Seems like that's what he'd be asked for . . . I just don't see him getting locked in mid game. I mean, sure, if someone's arm falls off and he's who we have left . . . but if you think Dusty is going to go to someone who hasn't pitched out of the pen . . . I've got a lineup for you with a different catcher in it . . . .

Though it would be fascinating TV for Diaz to have pinched for Maldy and then have Verlander come in and pitch to someone not named Maldy and watch the BBS explode.

whiskeyred and Tomstro like this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

And it will be the second time in 5 years.

solid likes this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Game 7 energy is just different. This crowd is going to be so ****ing nervous and antsy, pretty much ready to explode at any given moment. I hope the players feed off that, and just try to enjoy it. Hit a single, hear the crowd roar. Snag a grounder on the run and throw someone out, hear the crowd roar. Steal a base, hear the crowd roar. It's all about the little things tonight, and which team can stack them up in their favor. I believe in this team, and more importantly, I still think they believe in themselves. LET'S ****ING GO!

13. toby

toby Member

I like 4 from Javier, 4 from France, and 1 from Pressley. If France is wobbly . . . Urquidi or Nerris.

ashleyem and whiskeyred like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

In 2019, they too couldn’t win a home game (in the World Series).

I already think they’re dynasty-worthy but man, imagine if they could win a home game!
    A home game in 2019. Another title under their belt.
    A home game in 2023. Another World Series berth.

What does that mean? How do you define that?
    “Hungrier!” “Want it more!”
    Are the Astros fat, full & happy and the Rangers are on empty stomachs? Hungrier! Rangers haven’t been here since 2011 so they’re “hungrier”!
    “Don’t want it. Don’t have the urgency.” Again, fat and happy? “Content” with losing? “Ehh you know what? We already got 2 of these things. If we win, whatever. If we lose, whatever.”

zeeshan2 and Hey Now! like this.
  15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I also would not pitch JV tonight, we have plenty of arms to get though this. Short rest, just don’t need to risk it.

ROCKSS, Elienator, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  16. CinematicFusion

That’s the magic of game 7

bloodwings19 likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I had the same thought. I think the Rangers unquestionably have the better offense. And right now - for this series - I would trade Verlander and Framber for Montgomery and Eovaldi. We do, on paper, have the better #3 starter - but that's assuming Scherzer still isn't 100%. And our bullpen is better - again, on paper - but they've matched us in this series.

This feels an awful lot like 2018 - I don't think the Rangers are as good as that (cheating) Red Sox team - but they're very good.

Also, I would struggle to call seven ALCS, four pennants and two rings a "wasted opportunity." Given how hard it is to just maintain success, I think - once we have some time - we'll view this era as blissfully awesome. (Though I may never get over 2019.)

snowconeman22 and zeeshan2 like this.
  19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I am having the 2018 Rockets-Warriors game 7 vibe

20. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

All hands on deck. Season on the line.