1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Obviously Diaz will never start at catcher this postseason. But Dusty has to be willing to pinch hit him for Maldy earlier than the 8th or 9th inning.

I honestly don't know what he'll do about the outfield. Brantley, Chas, and Dubon have all had big moments in the playoffs this year, but they've also had games where they were completely inept at the plate.

The ballsy move would be to play all 3 and sit Tucker. Obviously that'll never happen, but if we're being honest, Tucker has been our worst outfielder out of the 4.

Jake Tower likes this.
  2. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

It’s weird to be invested so much in something I have zero control over. It’s also weird that my entire neighborhood (North Carolina) has turned into Rangers fans suddenly.

I hope the stros show up and show out. I want to silence all these fuxxxxs.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Need that 3rd title

Tfor3 and Jake Tower like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why not pinch hit Diaz at any point? Doesn't necessarily need to be a one for one swap for Maldy? They did the right move in game 5 when he came in for Pena. He could have also come in last night for Dubon and he would have still been able to get his rocks off by PH'ing Singleton for Pena.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Lol...damn. I'm glad I turned the game off when the bases were loaded by Montero.

Whelp.... Season and a world series appearance is on the line. If you can't win at home, you don't deserve to move on.

#10205 Uprising, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    roxallways and IBTL like this.
  6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

cos it's Arlington

Uprising likes this.
  7. Uprising

LOL...right?! The jokes about having home field have truly haunted this team....

8. Uprising

Double post from Mobile.....

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The bats are done folks. They cannot hit at home and they will he pressing against a great pitcher. The hitters will be peeing down their legs tonight

Stephen66 likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Dusty triggered me with Singleton PH yesterday for Pena so that he could get one more inning of Maldy defensively in case Singleton got out. Singleton got out. Maldy's defense held the Rangers to 5 runs in the 9th. In my mind, I know that one AB is mostly luck and it is repeatedly playing worse players over better players that is the problem. I'm still fuming. Singleton had a great AB, but the decision for him to be in there broke me. It may actually turn out cathardic by game time tonight.

I would not say it has been equal opportunity among all players. The regular season is 162 games long. Chas and Diaz were in the best 6 position players over that stretch. Even with Brantley and Abreu healthy, those two should be playing every day. Different rules (e.g., opportunities) apply to different players for Dusty. For Singleton to play over them with a chance to take a tie or a lead into the ninth is just bad.

lnchan, The Beard, RussE and 2 others like this.
  11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

In a close playoff game where the Astros are trailing, Maldy should never have an at bat in the 5th inning or beyond. I know people will point to the 6th inning of Game 6 last year, but let's not kid ourselves. He leaned into a pitch to get on base. He was never gonna get a hit off of Wheeler.

Kim and everyday eddie like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm tempted to **** around and find out and go to the game tonight. Ugh. Should I?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I already stated I wanted an MLB player in that situation last night. I don't believe Singleton to be a MLB player.

The 'equal opportunities' was merely replying to bases loaded failures this post season. Yes, they've all failed. Yes, Diaz/Chas have deserved to fail more often than Singleton/Maldy. Dubon did have a small sample RISP success going which is why I presume he's still in there... again, there's not much decision-science at this point that can fully elevate or bench these OF guys other than handedness. Brantley/Chas/Dubon can't all be in the same lineup, and barring a lefty on the mound, the choices have been consistent but not necessarily beneficial.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No way Dusty shifts gears and plays Diaz tonight. - he honestly thinks Maldy gives the team the best chance to win and that's not changing. The single biggest reason he needs to retire.

Chas needs to be in the lineup tonight instead of Dubon and I do have hope for that change. Dubon-Pena-Maldy is a black hole at the bottom of the lineup, as for run production. They do get on base once in a while. Dubon swinging at the first 2 pitches in the 8th last night may have very well cost this team the game.

Chas has holes in his swing and isn't perfect but he is and has been one of the best players on this team all season.

I don't know what will happen tonight but you have to go down with your best 9 players. Unfortunately Dusty will keep playing Maldy but he can start 8 of them and that means Brantley and Chas in the outfield and Dubon on the bench.

Fingers crossed.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No way Dusty shifts gears and plays Diaz tonight. - he honestly thinks Maldy gives the team the best chance to win and that's not changing. The single biggest reason he needs to retire.

Chas needs to be in the lineup tonight instead of Dubon and I do have hope for that change. Dubon-Pena-Maldy is a black hole at the bottom of the lineup, as for run production. They do get on base once in a while. Dubon swinging at the first 2 pitches in the 8th last night may have very well cost this team the game.

Chas has holes in his swing and isn't perfect but he is and has been one of the best players on this team all season.

I don't know what will happen tonight but you have to go down with your best 9 players. Unfortunately Dusty will keep playing Maldy but he can start 8 of them and that means Brantley and Chas in the outfield and Dubon on the bench.

Fingers crossed.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To Nick and all, I am sorry if I am rude today. I don't mean to direct my frustration with people on this board today.

I will try not to respond to pro-Dusty posts today.

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Maybe World Series Champ Pena can catch lightning. Tuve hit .093 in 2 series vs Mariners and Yankees last year in the postseason. Then he hit over .300 vs Phillies. I'm worry this will lower the confidence of World Series MVP.

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

+1 We are all different with philosophy, but we all want the Stros to win bottom line

whiskeyred likes this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

When the Home Team doesn't care to play Hard and Play with Intensity and Focus. It is a Scam to Pay Thousands for Astros Playoff Games.

It will be a lot of sleepless nights for Fans, Some Players, other players care more about Free Agency (Kyle Tucker, Framber Valdez)

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

When the Home Team doesn't care to play Hard and Play with Intensity and Focus. It is a Scam to Pay Thousands for Astros Playoff Games.

It will be a lot of sleepless nights for Houston Fans, Some Players, other players care more about Free Agency (.113 BA Kyle Tucker, 0-4 Postseason Framber Valdez)