1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ted Williams is among the best players to ever play. 0 championships. Is he a loser and a quitter?

Barry Bonds is far and away the best hitter of my lifetime. 0 rings.

Ernie Banks defined a franchise. 0 rings.

Nolan Ryan…Ty Cobb…Ken Griffey, Jr. All lOseRs and qUiTtErS at Clutchfans while they accomplished 10 zillion times what anyone who posted here ever accomplished professionally. And most definitely in professional sports

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't have to blame the pitch clock. I'm telling you that it has been impacting him. When he would make mistakes or get into jams, he would take his time at the mound. Once he started running into issues this year, he couldn't do what he has done in the past.

everyday eddie and MadMax like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If anything, Schwarber is worse than last year.

More K's, lower OPS and OPS+
    ____

Nola's ERA is 1.25 higher this season.
    ____

Wheeler's ERA is 0.75 higher vs last year.
    ___

Saying they're "better" than last season is debatable. Saying they're "much better" is hoping Rangers lose to them.

4. Major

Major Member

Eh - he was 15th in MLB in ERA this year. Statistically, he was almost an identical pitcher to last year in terms of Ks, hits, WHIP, etc. The big difference was that he was more much more of a flyball pitcher, which also meant he gave up a lot more HR's too, which accounts for most of his ERA increase. And while he's always been super-easy to steal on, this year, everyone is running more and so he had a lot more stolen bases against him. Neither of those things really relate to defensive shifts though and he wasn't giving up more hits or walks or struggling to get guys out or anything like that. And it's not like the blowups are new - he was amazing in last year's postseason but he got repeatedly lit up in 2021 despite being the Astros' #2 pitcher that year too. That's the nature of pitching and small sample sizes. He's in a funk. It doesn't mean he's lost his ability to pitch.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

That’s what you think. And it’s a lame excuse. Not into cop out gimmick excuses. He’s been stinking for months. it’s that’s simple. Doesn’t have anything to do with the pitch clock. Everyone has to deal with it. This logic sounds like the teams blaming the schedule for not being in the postseason still.

6. MadMax

if the Astros don’t pull this off where do I get my Phillies “much better” gear

Houstunna likes this.
  7. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

What has made them better is Turner. Since he turned it around in August, they have looked much different.

MadMax likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd be the biggest Philly fan too.

But Astros haven't lost, and Philly isn't "much better".

MadMax likes this.
  9. MadMax

I clicked love on the first half of your last sentence

Houstunna likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Historical stats like this are the dumbest ‘predictors’ they talk about in sports. All of those other teams were exactly that: other teams playing against other teams.

If you want to get a good predictor of how this series might end, look at the games the teams involved played against each other this season, and sprinkle in some data with current health and stats of the players involved.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Going to be even sweeter when we sweep them at home

Radricky, Stephen66 and Baba Booey like this.
  12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Good for Turner. Hoskins was .800 OPS last year and hasn't played a game this year.

Philly is 90 wins this season vs 87 last year.

They are NOT much better.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Big time Houston fan, I see.

Respect

MadMax likes this.
  14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

a baseball analogy

"There's no other game in which fortunes can change so much from hand to hand . . ."

MadMax likes this.
  15. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

And that's what you think. I'm not 100% blaming it on the pitch clock but it's had impact when it comes to him. He has other issues like fielding. He can't field for **** and that disrupts his flow when he has to make plays. He can't get out of his head. But the difference this year is he can't take his time.

And just for your information... other pitchers have had issues with the pitch clock this year.

Stephen66 and Baba Booey like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I’m only concerned about framber. Those are personal attribute problems. Not a clock

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Clock

18. MadMax

It’s identity to me. Family. My grandparents believed Houston became a city when we got a baseball team. I’m an Astros fan with season tickets in 2013. I’m not going anywhere. Astros Rockets Texans Cougars Dynamo Aeros Comets slap Houston on it and I’m in.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Gimmick that speaks to 0 accountability

booohoooo a clock that’s everyone has to deal with is why he sucks and has been sucking. Nah not it. But it’s ok he can throw a no hitter with it.

20. MadMax

Well done, sir