1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Astros vs. Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2021.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I was a tad surprised they burned Evoldi but the chance to go up 3-1 is probably hard to pass up. We're lucky how good Javier has been because I was worried we might have to burn Valdez if it went extras

2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Carlos "Big Nuts" Correa DNGAF!

Squirtle likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

He wants to be a legend and cultural icon..... which both works for and against the Astros...... it could lead him to the Yankees because they are the iconic franchise and he will get lots of coverage, but it could also lead him to stay with the Astros if he is convinced this team can keep winning..... because he would be by far the biggest player in franchise history if the Astros keep winning and he could make a semi dynasty in Houston... sometimes going to NY isn't all it's cracked up to be, look at Alex Rodriguez.

King1 likes this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

F*** Passan. This is what the MLB "journalists" of today do. Instead of addressing inconsistent or poor umpiring that has plagued this entire postseason, in ALL games and series, he focuses on a singular pitch that would reflect an unfair advantage to just one team (sound familiar?). What a POS.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I think Cora is extremely good overall, I would love for him to be the Astros manager.... he is a savant at understanding the game. Yeah, he went for the jugular believing that a 3-1 lead would be too much for the Astros and that his offense would break through against the Astros..... remember, his closer did not even make the ALCS roster.

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup; now the boys need to capitalize. The door us definitely ajar, screw kicking it in, let's blow the doors off.... go 'stros!

King1 likes this.
  7. Elienator

Elienator Member

Was this a bullpen day for Eovaldi? If he can still pitch in game 6 then I think it was an aggressive, but defensible move that just turned out poorly. If he can't pitch in a game 6 and it would hurt his effectiveness in a potential game 7 then it's a much less defensible move.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It definitely messes with his effectiveness. And, we are in his head now.

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Very valid point about his closer not making the roster. I think really highly of Cora as a manager as well. As critical as I am of Dusty he managed a good game yesterday.

10. Elienator

Elienator Member

I meant physically. If it was his normal bullpen day an/or they could push his normal start back a day then it wouldn't physically effect him for his next start.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This is all it said:

"While Boston took issue with the call, the chance of Eovaldi's curveball being called a strike was 23%, according to ESPN Stats & Information research."

2nd game in a row the umpire has missed over 10% of the strike/ball calls. I thought the crews working in the playoffs were supposed to be the best of the best?

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right on. That's what I meant by definitely, as in a physical sense. But, in addition, we are in his head now.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It was a bullpen day. There is no guarantee that the rest of the Red Sox pitchers can player the Astros to a tie in whatever game Eovaldi starts. It was a high risk move, but it was definitely a high reward as well. Yesterday was more important than getting him another start.

There are not many pitchers I would recommend with that strategy. Last year, I think Astros would have used Framber if they were in that situation with him.

Cora knows Eovaldi. I expect he made the right decision.

Nook and Elienator like this.
  14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This is an enormous factor … if we correctly understand Correa’s makeup. He loves the big moment, he loves the hype, the competition, iconic moments. He wants to make history.

He can’t have any of that unless he is in the postseason regularly, making deep runs in the playoffs. He won’t get the post-game interviews on National TV, he won’t get to climb the postseason accolades charts. None of that. And he is in his prime.

There are a handful of teams that he can sign with and feel fairly confident in being a regular postseason threat. Would he be willing to risk precious years of his prime hoping Detroit turns the corner and passes a good CWS team? Can he feel confident that DET has the talent to compete against the giants of the AL? Miami?

If the money is anywhere close, it’s going to be hard to turn down returning to Houston. Ready made team, full of stars, guaranteed three year window. But that’s a big Ol IF

NYY is lurking and I don’t like it.

everyday eddie, Nook and rockbox like this.
  15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't see how Eovaldi pitches in Game 6 now. He'd be going on 2 days rest. Granted, he only threw 24 pitches last night, but wouldn't it be wiser to save him for Game 7?

Now if the Astros win today and the Red Sox are facing elimination in Game 6, I can understand Cora throwing caution to the wind and putting him out there. But then that creates headaches for them if it does go 7.

16. Elienator

Elienator Member

He was inaccurate, but pretty consistent. I think as long as the consistency is there the accuracy matters a lot less, and I don't mind that different umps call a slightly different strike zone.

BigM and STR8Thugg like this.
  17. Elienator

Elienator Member

If it was a bullpen day he would be throwing the same number of pitches (albeit in the bullpen and not in the game). Typically that doesn't knock you out of your next start and the trend seems to be more managers are using starters for an inning of relief on their bullpen days. The question about saving him for game 7 changes a lot if game 6 is an elimination game or not.

18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It's hard to believe he was "97% consistent" but whatever.

What is the worst ump scorecard ever from that site?

19. raj87

raj87 Member

Search “West, Joe”

Nook, Lar, Jake Tower and 1 other person like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's going to pitch... but these guys aren't super-human.

Even Scherzer admitted to having a total dead arm his last start after pitching out of the bullpen in game 5.

everyday eddie, Nook and No Worries like this.