1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Astros vs. Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Screaming Fist

Greinke's "starting" but I can't imagine he pitches more than an inning or two. Trying to get anything more than that out of him would be really stupid. Tonight is up to Javier assuming doesn't blow it before Javier enters the game.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Is that O/U for the first 2 innings or entire game? ;)

Patience, marks0223 and ramotadab like this.
  3. Screaming Fist

I didn't see this...lol i hope this is a joke.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Why?

I don't know what Greinke will give the Astros, but I will take my chances with him over Garcia or Urquidy. He knows how to pitch and he is a gamer. He has come through before. If he is getting people out or pitching competitively he likely can go 5 innings or close to it. I wouldn't go to him a third time through the order but possibly twice.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I am not a Dusty fan..... but I think he means as long as Greinke is effective.

Elienator and Squirtle like this.
  6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I don't think so, but Greinke may surprise today. I sure hope so.

7. CinematicFusion

We could be going back to Houston up 3-2.
    We can win two games in a row.
    Even terrible teams can win 2 games.
    Red Sox won’t be this hot forever… tonight could be the night their offense slows down.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd be stunned if Greinke gave us more than 3 innings. But if he can hand the ball to Javier at that point giving up no more than 2-3 runs, that would be enough.

9. Screaming Fist

He just doesn't seem like a good matchup against them with how well they hit offspeed and the fact that he's been a disaster in the second half of the season. Anything can happen but I like what I've seen from Javier a lot more and think he gives us the better chance as the "bulk" guy tonight.

ramotadab likes this.
  10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

When we thought it couldn't get any worse.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I'm not putting money on this game, and I get the concern over Greinke.... but I would not go close to being "stunned" if he went more than 3 innings. Greinke is as big a competitor as there is in baseball, he will have a strong game plan and up until a horrific 12 innings in September, he was on pace for a 3.5 era...... and was consistent the first three months of the season. The Red Sox have been swinging very well and have had some things go their way....... he is certainly capable of going 5 innings giving up a couple runs.

12. Screaming Fist

I'll say this again because it seemed stupid and likely to blow up in their faces as soon as it was announced - why not another multi-inning guy over Taylor, Yimi, or another of our mediocre single inning guys??? That could have really helped last night. This org has lost a few IQ points since 2019.

VanityHalfBlack and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, ideally Greinke would be in a huge ballpark or against a team that doesn't drive the ball so well. He "is" a mistake away from giving up a 3 run homer or a grand slam. However he traditionally has gotten himself out of those jams more than most people. Greinke was remarkably consistent this season outside of September when he was crushed.

I am not saying I would force Greinke to go 4 innings no matter what, but the Red Sox have had some plays go their way the last few games and the Astros are due. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Greinke gets out of a jam or two and goes 4 plus innings and gives up a run or two.

As for Javier, the stuff is better.... but he has some control issues and he can be prone to giving up homers as well. I have been a huge supporter of him but I am concerned about his command and how he handles the situation.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I completely agree on this point.

Realistically the game was close to over early.... go ahead and have someone go 3-4 innings. Now the Sox hitters have seen someone like Yimi or Taylor even more, and with our rotation we may need those guys. I just don't get a lot of stuff they have done recently.

Hell, the Astros basically know who the Sox will open the game with in their line up, so why not go with an opener and have someone available if there is trouble? Getting an inning or two out of the way scoreless or only a run allowed would be a huge boon for a team like the Astros where starters are going 4-5 innings. I have to think this is on Dusty.

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Will us observing kill the cat or reveal that it is alive?

16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

LOL so true...

Whatever, just pitch better, hit better, and field better. Shake it off and win game 4.

17. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

While I like Dusty Baker as a person, I really think this is when we need a hinch or cora type manager. This team looks deflated and we need someone to pump these guys up like a scene out of varsity blues. In Garcia's and Urquidy's start, they stopped throwing strikes or got scared and stopped challenging these hitters. This is what happened to the White Sox.. they kept walking astros hitters until someone broke it open. If I'm Dusty, I'm walking out to the mound and telling these pitchers to throw 30 f'ing fastballs down the middle of the plate. Whatever YOU as a millionaire pitcher need to do to throw a strike, throw a damn strike. Get these guys pumped up and give them an edge.

whiskeyred and Squirtle like this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Greinke prolly getting smashed up early.

my money is on Javier getting us through this.

Honestly, it already seems bleak but maybe the bats will come alive tonight. Never give up.

everyday eddie and Squirtle like this.
  19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Fully agree. Dusty is fine as a person. As a rah rah kind of guy, he's inadequate.

20. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Totally agree

BossHogg713 likes this.