1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALCS] Astros vs. Rays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 11, 2020.

1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I hope so too.

whiskeyred likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I’m fine with the aggressive approach from bregman there. Besides correa, there isn’t anyone else I want at the plate in that situation. Good pitch to hit. Didn’t get enough of it. Onto tomorrow

snowconeman22 and dannah like this.
  3. dannah

dannah Member

Double digit hits, double digit left on base for the 2nd straight day...I can't really blame anyone (except that Altuve screwup), they're doing everything they can offensively, they've just been extremely unlucky.They can win the series though. I am not impressed by the Rays at all.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

What did he do? I guess he needs to tell Altuve not to make an error or for his batters to make their hard contact balls go to the left or right of the defense.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't blame Bregman at all for swinging at that. Yes the pitcher is in meltdown mode so you know he's going to throw strikes and give you an opportunity to hit. As an offensive player you should be looking for the homerun ball and that was it. Just didn't get enough of it.

6. CinematicFusion

baseball is also served with a pinch of luck. We have had some hard hit balls in key situations that went right to people. Is what it is sometimes.

key play is this game was the Altuve error and Rays capitalized on it.
    Had it been the Astros... we would have it a hard liner for a double play to end the inning

seemoreroyals and phasors28 like this.
  7. CinematicFusion

Agree, good pitch, solid hack..... just typical outcome so far in this series. Against the A’s it would have been over the fence

everyday eddie and RustyHarden like this.
  8. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I don't blame him. But coming in cold vs dude who can't locate at all. I would of liked to see a take.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

i agree it was a good pitch to hit. Bregman just did not put a good swing on it.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

What’s ironic is the pitching was supposed to be what would be the downfall of the stros this year. It isn’t so far in these last 2 games. It’s the defense and bats smh

11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Frustrating couple of losses. The Astros could easily be up 2 games to 0 if it weren't for a few defensive miscues (Altuve today) and if only 2 or 3 of their many RISP opportunities went in their favor. A game of inches. The Rays aren't exactly dominating Houston. The Astros had MANY more opportunities to score than the Rays did in both games...but the Rays made the big situational plays that mattered most.

I won't say "series is over" just yet...but it's gonna be very tough. Probably a 20-25% chance at best for the Astros to come back and win this series. If we can win games 3 and 4 then things will get very interesting.

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

as he should. That was an inexcusable *** up in the playoffs.

13. Buck Turgidson

14. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Remember Polanco's error against Minnesota? That setup Altuve GW walk Sometimes it just happens.

This group was down 0-2 against Washington and then won 3 straight
    This group lost 3 straight against NY in NY and then won the ALCS

This group know how to respond. Hopefully they do tomorrow.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw this hovering over the ball park. It's the smug cloud of "all the non-Astros fan haters who told you the Astros couldn't beat the Rays because they're cheaters and karma is a b*tch".

[​IMG]

16. Buck Turgidson

Yep. What's he supposed to do, look at the meatball and hope he throws you another? If he squares it up a millimeter better, we're not having this conversation and everyone is in a joyful mood.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Did anyone that is complaining even watch the WS last year? This is almost a mirror image of what happened...it's called small sample sizes. Our guys are still locked in, it's not like they are whiffing or weakly hitting balls with RISP - they are smoking balls. We had a xBA of .357 compared to their .167. Yesterday was .319 compared to .189. The Rays pen has been used a lot over the last ~10 days and it's historically proven eventually even the best of the best (Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, Jensen, all of those A's studs we finally started roughing up...first hand you saw what happened to Will Harris last year) will start to falter.

This series isn't over. They've relied extremely heavily on their pen and thankfully the only good relievers we have are still fresh. We should win tomorrow and after that who knows what will happen.

bcast89, PiPdAdY33 and everyday eddie like this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

This loss is because of a little league error by Altuve. Yes Yuli shoulda had it. Little league play by Altuve. 3 run error. Will always be a loss in the postseason. Still, we had TONS of great chances to win this game even with the error. If he doesnt make that error and a couple of line drives find holes, we win going away. Stupid game.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Exactly, he knew he was getting a fastball and he knew the guy was going to try to get one by him because he couldn't afford to get behind in the count once again...and he got exactly what he was looking for and unfortunately it didn't work out.

It's not like he hit a little dribbler...

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. HardenVolumeOne

I’m not worried, we’ve played better than them. Just haven’t had any timely hits. We are getting runners on base, just aren’t driving em in. And our pitching this series has been more than I could have asked for. Let’s just be glad this series is a best of 7

bcast89 likes this.