1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALCS] Astros vs. Rays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I wish we would use LMJ out of the pen next season. If he could come in and just throw that curve at some extreme rate without having to worry about pitching deep into a game I think he’d be a top closer/reliever in the game. He could air it out and get a few more mph on his fastball as well.

Javier is tempting to use out of the pen as well. Either way we’re going to have to build it internally given how overpaid relievers are these days.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Similar to this year with Altuve’s errors, Correa’s mishap was arguably the pivotal moment that year. So much has to go right to win it all in baseball...

htwnbandit and desihooper like this.
  3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

We would be better off if Reddick wasn’t playing...

His AB in game 3 vs. Toro’s AB and then playing again today at DH makes absolutely zero sense.

Edit: I’ve been loud about my dislike of Reddick and I think what people are missing is his <.600 OPS in the playoffs and his horrible ABs impacts the guys hitting in front of him...especially Gurriel hitting right in front of him. I’d love to see the data on the pitch type, strike %, etc. for our 7th hitter when he’s in the lineup. Even more interesting would be seeing the same data when there’s runners on, especially with 2 outs.

Off the top of my head, I know when Maeda was pitching he has runners on 3rd and 2nd with 2 outs and Correa up, he walked him on four pitches clearly to get to Reddick and then immediately threw three pitches belt high, center cut...

#2903 Htown Stros, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Offense hasn’t had a break out game yet in this series. I think tomorrow is it. 9-4 Astros win. If the game is tight I would not be surprised to see Javier again for multiple innings. It would be nice if the Astros can get a sizable lead early and save the big guns for Game 6. My guess, Josh James starts. He is your most experienced guy in the pen capable of starting and going 3-4 innings.

5. elrond

elrond Member

Dunno man, few things scare me more than watching Josh James. Not saying we have any better choices, but still, scary.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Ive felt that all post-season and even more since we went down in this series... I think part of it is them not wanting to come off as obnoxious since everyone is already nitpicking everything they say. But to hell with it they need to get loose and play with that confidence

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It's a new day. Good vibes.

8. STR8Thugg

Fine, who is the "opener"?

9. STR8Thugg

I would say it's not even arguable.

10. STR8Thugg

YIKES!!!

[​IMG]

whiskeyred and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Game 7 absolutely he has a right to be pissed. The other games? Sit down.

RocketManJosh likes this.
  12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Glad just to have a W. Wasn't pretty and it was barely enough but **** man I'll take it. Lol.

donkeypunch, whiskeyred and houston#1 like this.
  13. conquistador#11

Like the kids say, "shots fired!" That was more like rpgs.

I took taking Greinke out and not putting in cole the equivalent of passing it on the 1 yard line when you have the best yards after contact bruiser of a running back. Pheeew. Glad I got that out of my chest. Avoided the thread from last season this long.

phasors28, REEKO_HTOWN and TWS1986 like this.
  14. mightybosstone

I've got to think Garcia will play a huge role in Baker's plan for today. Of the guys left who could feasibly start or at least eat 3-4+ innings without giving up a ton of runs, he's probably the best option.

I don't love that option, but if it's him vs. James or De Jong, give me Garcia. But those guys might have to play a role, too. Best case scenario, maybe you get 4-5 good innings of Garcia, and Taylor, Pardes, Javier and Pressley and fill in the rest. I could see Scrubb and Sneed pitching as well.

everyday eddie and TWS1986 like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

All things considered, I'm more than happy to see Garcia get a bulk of the innings tonight. I might use James (ducks) as an opener to pitch to top if the order, though.

16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

So ... every guy except the good one.

Let’s hope the 97mph liners start falling in.

17. dannah

dannah Member

I'll say it again, the Astros could have swept this series too. It's not a far stretch.
    They've encountered a huge amount of bad luck on the offense with bullets hit right at opposing players, and of course the 2 huge Altuve errors that led to both games 2 & 3 losses. That's how baseball goes.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Sneed better not even be on the playoff roster. Brb

Edit: ugghhhhhh

Tomstro and seemoreroyals like this.
  19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Are we really gonna have to watch James pitch again? We all know how that goes right? I’d rather Reddick pitch

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Got em right where we want em.

Now we continue the comeback for the ages.