1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] 2021-2022 Power Rankings Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know it's early, but the first one just crept out of the bushes:

2021 NBA Power Rankings: Nets still No. 1, Knicks at No. 13

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-nba-power-rankings-20210817-wtvgyxmbfrby7le5tzit5nlera-story.html#nt=pf-triple chain~middle-triple-chain~recommender~automated~sports-recommender~WTVGYXMBFRBY7LE5TZIT5NLERA~2~4~2~2~art yes

here's where the Rockets sit:

29) HOUSTON ROCKETS
    Key additions: Jalen Green, Daniel Theis, David Nwaba

Key losses: Kelly Olynyk

Summary: The Rockets once had James Harden and Chris Paul under contract for multiple years. They then had Russell Westbrook for multiple years. But they fumbled all those trades, and now are slowly picking up the pieces with draft picks. The only interesting piece on this roster is Jalen Green.
    ouch.

#1 Os Trigonum, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    s3ts, clos4life and don grahamleone like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

a) New York media
    b) Who isn't invested in our team enough to pay attention to the rest of our rooks, as well as KPJ, CWood, etc

Oh well.

bro2044, Deckard, burlesk and 9 others like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

I sure hope we end up bottom 3 for just this last year

vince, Corrosion, amaru and 7 others like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Knicks projected higher than the Rockets? Who would have thought. oh wait

5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Writer put NYK ahead of Clippers and Bulls. HA!

bro2044, Deckard, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Rockets literally tanked for a season after a decade of relevancy and already have a brighter future than the Knicks.

burlesk, bro2044, Trackwell and 6 others like this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The ranking is fine. The final line is total garbage.

8. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I don't mind 29th if it means we are getting Banchero

9. mightybosstone

The writer's take on the Rockets is obviously an absurd oversimplification. But 29th isn't totally unwarranted. The Rockets were the worst team in the league and added mostly rookies to their roster. They've got to prove they're not a bottom 3 team.

And people ripping on the Knicks being so high; let's not forget they were a top 4 team in the East last season. Some dropoff can be expected, but they're almost certainly still a playoff team in that conference this year.

amaru and Kevooooo like this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Im OK with the ranking, but the commentary is pretty laughable. The fact that there was no mention of Sengun in the key additions or as an interesting piece is pretty ridiculous. I also don’t agree with the assessment that the Harden trade was fumbled.

Ankara1923, fattz, Corrosion and 6 others like this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Eric Gordon isn't going to have fun with that statement.

12. MystikArkitect

Rockets best players were all injured last season. It's not outlandish to think if Wood/Wall/Ego/KPj all tried that the Rockets would be in a play in spot this year.

I'd rather develop Sengun/Green and get Banchero in next year's draft if possible. Though you'd have to land back in the lottery and not sure the Rockets are bad enough for that.

rhee, Kevooooo, clos4life and 4 others like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

NY daily news - bleh. F NY media!

As much as I'd love for the Rockets to compete this year, it'll be tough due to the youth on this team. The youth is exciting and reinvigorating, but all these 19 year olds (and KPJ at 21) will have growing pains. It's part of becoming a player in this league. They will drive us crazy at times this year, no doubt. That being said, I don't think we are number 29 out of 30. Last year, we had major injuries to Wood, EG, Wall... and KPJ only played in 26 games for us. Also, a 21 year old who goes off for 50 isn't an interesting piece? Really? Stop embarrassing yourself, NY daily news. There should be hope that a healthy Wood and EG and a somewhat fragile Wall playing (fingers crossed) 45/50-ish games will be competitive at times, especially when you add in KPJ and these draft picks. I would put our power ranking around 21/22, looking at this roster. Lots of talent, now we just need to develop and mold it into a team. The future is bright, clutch fans!

15. mightybosstone

Wood, Wall and Gordon are guys who typically miss time, though. What's the likelihood that the Rockets get 60+ games from all three next season? Pretty low, right?

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say I guarantee they're going to be a lottery team next season. The West is still loaded, and making the play-in tourney means Houston needs to finish with a better record than five other teams in the West. Which five teams are the Rockets better than today?

Look, I'm super pumped about this roster moving forward and I love that the young guys are giving us all something to be excited about. But let's be realistic; this roster is still all over the place and is a work in progress. Let's learn to walk before we start running.

16. Jalen Green OnlyFan

At first I was worried this might be an unofficial power ranking

clos4life and theDude like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ree-agency-edition-how-big-was-summer-shakeup

29. Houston Rockets
    2020-21 record: 17-55
    2022 title odds: +50000
    Post-Finals ranking: 30

Although it's a long shot to be reflected in the standings this season, a strong NBA draft has given Rockets fans reason for hope. Houston needed some lottery luck to retain its own pick, which landed No. 2 and yielded Jalen Green -- perhaps the most impressive rookie during the NBA summer league in Las Vegas. The Rockets also traded to take statistical standout Alperen Sengun at No. 16 and added two more first-round picks in Josh Christopher and Usman Garuba. A youthful core will take its lumps in 2021-22 while hopefully developing into the next great Houston group. -- Pelton

burlesk and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

This statement isn't what i would expect from a true Rockets Fan, especially since we now have a very decent team
    and I expect them to be in the playoffs at the end of the upcoming season. Y

don grahamleone and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rockets #19

#9 in the West and enters Play-In portion of tournament

Get some playoff experience for our young kids as we win our Play In round
    --------------------------
    Here Monty Williams notes how the Rockets are up and coming.....sooner than people think.
    Key point he notes are the injuries to Wood, Wall and Eric Gordon each missing more 30
    games in a 72 game season.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...illiams-says-rockets-are-hungry-just-like-us/

20. TimDuncanDonaut

Rockets was #30 based on W-L records last year.

At this projected #29, Rockets has over taken Magic.

*High five

Ankara1923 and hajkov like this.