1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 NBA Trade Deadline Deals and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Chamillionaire

Wow... He's gonna help them.

2. basketballholic

Wrong

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So if they make a move for depth and not a center, like the coach himself said yesterday, will you say you were wrong or just pivot to some sort of excuse?

roslolian likes this.
  4. threepointshot3

Bogut
    Horford
    Crowder
    Bradley
    Thomas

Is a damn good team Boston is building.

BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

So far 15/30 teams have made a trade this trade deadline. I wonder how much this number can grow in the next hours. 20?25?
    Pretty likely that from the east every team will have made a trade.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. basketballholic

No. What's wrong with his post is that we aren't looking for a serious upgrade at center. We are.

That doesn't mean we're going to get that done. We may wind up just picking up a stop gap free agent big after the deadline. And we may only trade for depth. But that does not mean we weren't looking for a serious upgrade in the middle. Because we are! And if the right deal comes along Capela and one or both of Bev/Ariza could be gone. But we're talking about a huge deal. It is being discussed. Will it happen? Most huge deals crater the final day, the last few hours, the last few minutes. That's the nature of the trade deadline.

We are:

1. Trying to trade for a superstar. This is a given. Everybody should know and understands this. It will always be the case.

2. Trying to get a superstar big man. Because our greatest weakness presently is defensively in the middle. This will require significant assets, even beyond what I listed above. The odds are against us being able to complete it. But Morey is trying to make it happen, somehow, some way.

3. Trying to get a significant upgrade at the center position even if it is not a superstar. Once again, our greatest weakness is the defensive paint. Morey knows we gotta get significantly more than what Capela is giving us defensively. Capela may remain on the team, and he may even remain the token starter. But his minutes have to be peeled back significantly for us to have any chance of going deep in the playoffs. We are going to get another center from somewhere. And they could become the starter. And Capela could be traded.

4. If nothing else materializes we could move out KJ/Ennis with cash/pick for cap space. That would put us ~$5 million below the cap and open up a myriad of possibilities for signings after the deadline as guys are bought out.

5. If the right trade materializes we could move KJ/Ennis for another upgrade at another position besides center and then sign a free agent big after the deadline.

These are all possibilities today. And we will be hearing rumblings.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if a Noel trade happened. He's a target. I also wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing about Whiteside today. And I knew we're interested in PJ Tucker and Mirotic at the right price. Cody Zeller has also been mentioned. And so has Courtney Lee (with KOQ in a salary dunno trade for NYK). Those are a few talks I know about.

Ming The King likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Per sources Morey wants to upgrade the team but not at a steep cost that would ultimately hurt us.

8. justtxyank

You seem to be the only person in the world with 'sources" that say the Rockets aren't thrilled with Capela.

9. ch44

ch44 Member

The Rockets are thrilled with Capela. That doesn't mean he is untouchable. As good as Capela has been, there are plenty of better centers. If it is necessary to trade him to receive an All-Star in return, it will happen. Usually you have to give up something good to get something good in return. Capela isn't a problem and they aren't actively looking to ship him, but they are always active and listening.

10. justtxyank

Him being untouchable isn't the conversation.

Hollic's "sources" are telling him that we are really trying to upgrade over Capela because he is our biggest weakness. That does not jive with what every other person with an ear to the Rockets have said.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's a difference between saying Capela is our biggest weakness (I agree, I don't think anyone is saying that), versus saying Capela just isn't the strongest part of our lineup and could be improved upon. I think that's a pretty widely shared view.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Sauces: Rockets looking at several possible trades before the deadline. Deals may go through or they may not. Stay tuned.

#fluid

13. justtxyank

I mean you can make whatever arguments you want, but all I can keep repeating is the following:
    1) Harden loves Capela
    2) Clutch himself has said he's spoken to people at the team and they "love" Capela and don't want another big
    3) D'Antoni himself said yesterday he has 3 good centers
    4) Feigen, who is a mouthpiece for Morey, said yesterday they don't want to trade for a center

That doesn't mean they won't take a big if one is out there that makes sense, but they like Nene and they love Capela and they like Trez as the third center. They don't see the center issue the way people here do obviously.

roslolian and DonKnock like this.
  14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

My most used key today.

[​IMG]

If I'm not here tomorrow, I have been diagnosed with Carpel Tunnel

#BEWell

roslolian likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL what I hate the most about Holic is he's a know it all without any inside access.

Just like when he insisted all the athletes are looking at DMo's agent and praising him for "standing up for his client". LOL how does he know that? Or like when he said Harden is preventing any FO moves because he doesn't want to play with stars. WTF maybe if he had some proof to back up all the crap he says with 100% certainty instead of Yule C maybe he'd have more credibility here.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with ALL of what you're saying . . . it's just that there are two separate issues here. 1) Harden, Clutch's contacts, D'Antoni, and Feigen/Morey all "love" Capela. That statement is true. But irrelevant, because 2) Capela just isn't the strongest part of our lineup and could be improved upon. Which is (probably) also a true statement, and implicit in your own suggestion that "That doesn't mean they won't take a big if one is out there that makes sense." Not trying to split hairs here or anything, I just think there's two separate issues here. Everyone likes Capela, but not everyone sees him as the key to the Larry O'Brien trophy.

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Any big that would be brought in would be for situational defensive/rebounding purposes

roslolian likes this.
  18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree, and you can probably get that guy after buyouts.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Our FO is on drugs if they are content with our center rotation.

But I won't doubt what people in the know have heard.

BigMaloe, Plowman and Snow Villiers like this.
  20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

The Rockets and company are just saying they're fine with their Center rotation just so they don't hurt feelings in the locker room. I don't even think Dmo and Tarik Black ever got punked like Capela and Nene have been getting lately.