1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Thank you, Hey Now.

People are getting all dramatic over nothing.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

IMO, can't see the Texans spending significant capital (more than say, 2nd and 5th this year) to move up in the 2nd. They've already given up their top 2 draft picks next year. Can't see any further sacrifice there...if anything, they might move back now (perhaps in the 3rd or 4th) to gain something next year. With this year's picks, they still have the full complement of 6 picks left--but certainly have multiple holes to fill. They need at least 3 picks in the next 3 rounds.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Different strokes for different folks. There were a few quarterbacks who were exciting to me, even if I couldn't stand them. Montana, Aikman, Elway, and Brett Favre were exciting for me to watch. When Mahomes was compared to a Favre type QB that's what I wanted. Who knows, maybe he will be a bust, but it was a risk I wanted us to take. As for Watson, I hope he leads us to a Championship in the future, and want only the best for him and our team.

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

They both have good characteristics, and that's why people rated them differently. Who knows how accurate they will be in comparison in the NFL. All I know is that they both had 41 touchdowns, and Mahomes had 10 interceptions vs Watson's 17. That stat alone doesn't assure me Watson is any more accurate. I hope he does great though, and hope he ends up being much better than Mahomes. Otherwise, I will just have to keep thinking about how KC pulled one over on us.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lots of reports out today about teams that really wanted a qb to fall to them and were trying to trade up. Teams like Seahawks, packers, giants, saints and cardinals all really wanted a qb. None of them wanted Watson though.

Nook, donkeypunch and Bobbythegreat like this.
  6. CallMeTheDream

Obi or Foreman in the second. Desmond King or a lineman in the 3rd. James Connor in the 4th.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Would love it if Lamp or Robinson fell to us but probably a pipedream

8. Mr. Motiejunas

Joe Mixon puts us over the top. He is a beast.

9. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

I would be. I just think today it has to be safety and OL. They have two Fourths which you use for depth at CB and RB.

Unless it is Joe mixon

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

What the Seahawks (seems doubtful they wanted to spend a 1st on a QB), Packers, Giants, and Saints wanted to do is of little relevance to me. They wanted to grab somebody who likely *required* 1-3 years learning on the bench. Somewhat of a Garropolo-like lottery ticket. Good backup, but ideally long-term planning.

I think the risk of a project has the appeal of a potentially massive payback, especially when learning behind some all-time greats like those guys have. They all want the next Rodgers behind Favre.

Watson isn't as much of a project. People seem to know what to expect of him. People differ on that opinion, but it feels like it's based on a known skill-set. Not sure if I'm making sense..

11. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

To bad everyone has to have a clean history

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Except Cam miraculously drops to them, don't expect OL till the 4th (3rd at the earliest).

Nook likes this.
  13. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

If he fell that far I'd be worried about why he fell so far

14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

They played against different competition?

Watson came away with more wins and a tougher schedule?

TTU 5-7
    Clemson 14-1

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Y

16. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Mahomes was 16-21 against shitty competition(including my longhorns).
    Not many qbs with losing cfb records have had success in the nfl. Maybe Mahomes is the next John Elway?

Is there any other qb besides john elway that had a losing cfb record and good nfl career?

Sooty likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why are the Packers on the clock? They've been on the clock since the draft ended last night...

ghettocheeze likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Packers taking Kevin King

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

No way the O-Linemen are available by the time we draft. We need to jump Jacksonville to get either Lamp/Robinson

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well so much for that

Jaguars trade up and take Cam Robinson