1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, but which people, his fans or critics?`

body slam likes this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol. His critics. He at the very least will be a solid starting QB.

I don't like losing our first next year but that's the price you have to pay

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the first time ever in the draft I just feel like crying. It's as if Kansas City snuck up from behind and just ran away with the prize. We could have had Mahomes, which is what is so frustrating. I just wanted a guy who could throw 80 yards with ease, throw 50 yards on the run, and thrill us with his unbelievable ability that few can match. I am satisfied, and feel Watson is a good guy, with promise, who can lead us. It's just hard to not feel punched in the gut by a team I despise, when I knew the gunslinger was in our reach. The thrill is gone, but I am glad we got a QB. I just have to hope we don't end up watching the next Brett Favre from afar, in a crowd of red jerseys in Kansas City, throwing 80 yard passes with ease.

4. Buck Turgidson

I sure hope so, but really none of us have any idea. More than once I saw drafniks say "hardest guy to project in this draft". He's sure got the pedigree though. I really like the move, they needed to do something bold like this.

King1 likes this.
  5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

To make you feel better, Mahomes is a minimum of 2-3 years from doing anything remotely interesting in an NFL game. He has more to learn than any QB that will be taken in the first couple rounds. Also, throwing 80 yards with ease has zero impact on winning in the NFL.

Bob Barker 007 and Hey Now! like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

So says the guy who routinely picks out a single stat to point out whatever QB he doesn't like is terrible - and then ignores that stat when defending his choice.

I ignore metrics that are just made up and back tested to fit the data, which no actual rhyme or reason behind them. It's like saying an octopus can predict winners of World Cup games because one got the last 8 games right. Or that halloween masks can predict the winner of a Presidential election because they got a bunch right in the past. You can always create predictors after the fact to fit old data. They generally don't keep working. Until one proves it for the future, it has zero value. There's a reason why NFL teams aren't drafting based on it.

Fulgore and rezdawg like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No NFL offense is built around 80-, or even 50-yard passes. The ability to do so is very nearly irrelevant. What most offenses *are* built around are short to intermediate passes that require instantaneous recognition and the guts to throw into a window that is already closing before it's open. There's nothing in Mahomes' game that indicates he'll be able to do that anytime soon. We'll see.

But him chucking 80-yard passes... I mean, go ask JaMarcus Russell how important it is to be able to throw 80-yard passes in the NFL.

8. Major

Major Member

Agree with this line of thinking in general, and I know little about any of the individual QB prospects. But the *ability* to accurately throw deep has value. It forces defenses to be alert for it and softens up coverage to make those shorter passes easier for the QB. It's the same as running ability. Even if a QB doesn't use it often, the threat of it makes defenses account for one more thing.

texans1095 and deb4rockets like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Thanks for trying to make me feel better. Don't get me wrong, I am happy we drafted Watson. I just wanted to have a chance at a guy who many say has an arm better than many NFL players. Guys like that are what make games thrilling to me. I have always loved watching those types of quarterbacks. He may never be one, but just the thought of it, and knowing KC snagged that hope away made me sick.

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Exactly! That's what makes a QB thrilling to watch, and puts fear into every team, because even with a minute left on the clock, teams know the game isn't over.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I know Watson's apparent velocity is lower than most would like, but he throws a solid deep ball, so I think he can be a threat in the long game too.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Cardale Jones and JaMarcus Russell had 2 of the strongest arms in recent draft history. Mahomes is a good prospect and I'd be happy if we got him as well but it wouldn't be because he could throw the ball 80 yards.

13. Hey Now!

Yes, maybe - but "deep" in the NFL does not equal 80 yards. Or even 50 yards. Defenses are too fast for QBs to stand in the pocket while their receiver runs 50 yards. It's a recipe to get your QB killed. JJ Watt is going to let a 50-yard route develop? No.

Deep is 25-30 yards, and I'm guessing Watson can pull that off. There is ZERO benefit to being able to throw the ball 80 yards. ZERO. There is never going to be a play in football where a QB throws a ball 80 yards. Even Hail Marys are generally 50-60 yards, at most and they (not including Aaron Rodgers, obviously) throw those..... once every two-three years?

14. Hey Now!

No, sorry - completing a lot of passes is what makes a QB thrilling to watch. Watch a Patriot game; the vast majority of Brady's throws are within 10-15 yards. Manning lived in that zone. Sure, every now and again, you loosen it up so the defense can't settle. But Matt chaub could do that, for heaven's sake and his arm was a wet paper towel.

You are VASTLY overstating the importance of deep throws.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

On both the velocity aspect and Pat Mahomes aspect.. I was higher on Mahomes, until I saw that video with David Carr. I know he was just trying to throw fast, but 2-4 missed the guy he was throwing at 15 yards away. Seemed like a red flag. Jamarcus Russell had a big arm, Ryan Mallet could throw fast... Yet everyone would rather compare him to Favre.

16. FEDEXROCKETS13

Question do y'all think if we traded the rest of our draft this year would it be enough for the top pick in the second and take best right tackle avaible? Or what do y'all think it would take to get the first pick in 2nd round and if it happened who would y'all take?

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This, plus the fact that we just used last years draft pick on a super speedy WR to pretty much run go routes and stretch the field is now null if Watson were to be on the field at the same time atm. Also the 80 yard argument is stupid , unless your Aaron Rodgers and love hail marys, but his knock was accurate deep balls that were accounted for 25-40 yard balls. Its not like scouts were looking at game tape for 50 yard bombs. Its something he can work on but its also not like hes starting year one.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

texans1095 likes this.
  19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I don't think it would take the rest of our draft picks this year to move up to the top of the 2nd. But if it did, then that would be a terrible idea. You already gave up your 1st two picks next year, so you need as many picks as possible for this year and you NEED to hit on at least a couple of your players from rounds 2-7 this year. IMO you do not trade up anymore in this draft unless you are 100% positive that the player you want will be a solid contributor.

20. FEDEXROCKETS13

What do you think it would take? If it happened hypothetically who would you take?