1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2012 Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    Olympic gold in the singles is the only thing left in Federer's career he didn't achieve and would lift him to even morey ridiculous heights in history books, I highly doubt he doesn't want it.

2. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

does homecourt advantage apply only in basketball? :grin:

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Wow. Cue the "Has Federer lost it" questions.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Didn't know he never made Olympic gold, but just looking at how he's playing and his body language. It's almost as if he mailed it in.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Murray dismantling Federer. It was great watching Federer and Murray shake hands though at the net and judging by Federer's smile he is a a class act and was happy for Murray to finally win a big one.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Murray should give an assist to Del Potro.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Congrats to Murray, though. Maybe this win gives him confidence to finally win a Grand Slam, although I still find pleasure in him constantly being denied.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He won the Doubles in Beijing together with Wawrinka, but Singles gold is the missing key in his career and it will always cast a tiny shadow over him. Before the match both said Silver means nothing and would be a huge loss for them.

9. Duncan McDonuts

I already mentioned Federer possibly being tired by his Del Po match, but it was as equivalent as a 5-set semifinals match in a Grand Slam, and overall, he should be more rested because the Olympics are 3-set matches prior to the finals so he's had to play less games. With 2 days of rest, I don't think fatigue was as much of it.

Murray played great. He had good court coverage and returned balls with good placement to make Federer run.

This match just seemed uncharacteristic of Federer's level of play, and I wish it were a better match.

10. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Winning the Tennis gold in the Olympics doesn't seem like it's that important. It's kinda like winning the Aussie Open. Good but not that relevant compared to the other three majors.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Legends like Becker disagree, even the players disagree and say it's the biggest sports event in the world and winning it is the biggest dream of every tennis player.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I really find that hard to believe. I think the grand slams are a bigger deal. No one remembers who's won olympic gold. The only person I remember winning it was Agassi and that's because it completed his career slam. I think Murray would trade in this win for a win a month ago.

13. gambingo

gambingo Member

Is anyone watching the women weight lifting competitions? These women are freaking bombshells.

14. Duncan McDonuts

I think Slams are more significant, too. It's a bigger tournament. No limitations on who can compete. The best are always in the tournaments, and you have 5-set matches in the men's Grand Slams. To me, Grand Slams are a bigger accomplishment because they're more difficult.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well, either they're lying or it's the truth.

The Olympics are held every four years, while there are various GS to win every season. You could maybe debate that Wimbledon is on the same stage and seen as bigger by some guys, but overall Olympics are the biggest sports event in the world and the winners become legends.

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think Grand Slams are still bigger, but players are starting to take the Olympics more seriously. In the last two Olympic tournaments, tons of big names begged out of the Games. This year, that wasn't a problem at all. The players that dropped out did so because they were injured or because they weren't eligible, not because they weren't interested.

Part of that, I think, is because this tournament was going to be at Wimbledon and not just some anonymous hardcourt facility. But I also think that a part of it is that tennis is truly a global sport and even in ATP and WTA tour events, you are playing for your country to a certain extent. Tennis players in today's game tend to be extremely patriotic.

17. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I think the tennis players are being polite when they're talking about the Olympics. I had to google the last few Tennis gold medalists: Yevgeny Kafelnikov in 2000. Nicolás Massú in 2004. He defeated the mighty Mardy Fish. No one remembers Massú. He never won the majors. Andy Murray will also be a footnote if he continues to lose in the finale of majors, with or without Olympic gold. Fed and Nadal are legends because of their multiple grass and clay court victories, and not because of a gold medal. Olympic gold may be the pinnacle of the other sports, but it's not that big of a deal in tennis.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ahhh can't wait for the 100m, been waitin a long time.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't know what to do. The 100m is my most anticipated event, but don't know whether I should watch it live online or wait it to watch at night on NBC, risking being spoiled.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Watch it live god damn. :grin: