1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2008 Olympic thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Faos, Aug 6, 2008.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, first of all, China must be really good to get 10 points for not winning anything... :)

But anyway, I'm talking about how silver medals aren't worth nearly as much as gold.

Because I've never felt in my life, as an avid sports fan from the age of ~10, that 2nd place comes close to being as good as 1st(and this isn't even counting 3rd place).

I'm talking about how as a sports fan, I keep hearing about athletes talking about never winning the championship(Barkley, Malone, etc. etc. etc.) as a huge negative. Even if they've gotten very close. Hence, the term "close, but no cigar"

And I'm talking about how as a sports fan who grew up watching American sports, pretty much don't care about any sport beyond "the big 3"(except for the Olympics really), I can't imagine my fellow sports fans would rank "2nd" fairly close to "1st". This is like saying that the Rockets' 2 championship losses to the Celtics is actually similar to winning one.

Huh?

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

3. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

LOL. you guys are still arguing about the ranking of the medal table! Okay.... there's no such thing of "Champions of 2008 Olympics"....there's no official ranking system, rank the table however you like...... brag about swimming if you are american, diving if you are chinese, cycling if you are british, sailing if you are aussie, or even marathon if you are Ethiopian. In this competition, there's no "ultimate" bragging right of "Winner of 2008 Olympics".... so get over it.... we all need something to brag about and we will have ....that's how we keep the world peaceful!!! ;)

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

ok ok I'm typing from my iPod and it's 4 AM... Excuse my grammatical and other mistakes. I'll post whatever reply tomorrow

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

and yeah I just saw the china and japan thing sorry!!! :eek: :D

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

I'll agree with this :) Trying to compete by grouping medals by country is kinda silly since most countries lack the financial and population resources to compete on that level. Gotta look at each sport to see who the best truly are!

7. newplayer

newplayer Member

Rubbish, there is a weight system right now, and in this sytem, gold gets 1, silver and bronze get 0. How's that for a point system?

A "fair" point system is impossible, you cannot just assign random numbers to the medals and expect everyone to accept them. No matter how much time you spend on tweaking these number, there will be people who won't like it.

As far as I know, the only country that does not like the existing ranking system is America. So, why don't we just stick with the current system?

My solution is to give gold 1, and everything else 0, and this is the same solution that all the countries in the world except America is using. Maybe Americans are not satisfied with being ranked 2nd, but this is no reason to change the system.

After all, the ranking really means nothing. The Chinese are happy with the most golds, and the Americans are happy with the most medals. They both have what they want and everyone should be happy.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just want to make it clear that I really don't care who "wins" the medal count. I watch the Olympics to see the best performing the best. Period.

The only reason I'm even arguing is for that reason. Because I watch events to see the gold medalists. Not to see who can compete for a bronze.

9. tinger

tinger Contributing Member

amazing..

I think shawn will finally get a gold this time

10. tinger

Shawn got it !!

I am so happy for her, I like to see her smile.

11. AGBee

AGBee Member

You should edit your posts and spoiler tag them or you're gonna have some grouchy posters in the morning ;)

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

A 5-3-2 format is ok as well, just some reasonable system that most country can agree on. I didn't mean 5-2-1 is the right formula.

13. tinger

It's not my fault that people dont watch it live :confused:

and they will learn the result from somewhere anyway

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Just edit your post. People have kindly asked for it. Don't be an ass.

15. Lil Pun

I think it is funny you guys are still arguing over medal counts. LOL! :D

Does the country with the most golds get a prize? What about the country with the most medals? I didn't think so. Medal counts and point systems for medals awarded is really pointless.

16. pirc1

If you really want to think about it, the whole olympics is pointless, so is NBA championship and NFL championship, what do you get if rockets win the NBA championship?

17. tinger

What?

This is a thread for Olympic game discussion. If people missed live actions and didnt want to be spoiled, they certainly shouldnt have clicked this thread in the first place.

18. Lil Pun

Yes but some people discuss events they have already seen and they do not get to see those events you mentioned until later tonight. Believe it or not, everybody does not have the luxury of being able to watch them live.

It's OK though, be an ass. :rolleyes:

19. Lil Pun

I've already discussed this. Every team in the NBA, NFL, or any organized sports league has a shot at winning the championship. Are you going to sit there and tell me that every country has a shot to win 100 medals or even be in contention for the top medal count? Michael Phelps has won more golds than all but something like 6 countries. Total medal counts and points systems based on total medal counts are pointless. Focus on the individual events like the 100M or group of events like Diving, forget the medal count it means squat.

20. pirc1

Not everyone is fighting for the top of standing in mdeal count. Countries like Mongolia want to compare to their peers. Canada want to try to compare to countries like Frances, etc.