1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2008 Olympic thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Faos, Aug 6, 2008.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

Tim who?

btw, what's IOC's arguments for baseball and softball? even though i was talking trash, i like to see some baseball and softball still. would rather get rid of trampoline.

2. newplayer

newplayer Member

do your research before voicing your opinion.

[​IMG]

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can go to NBC.com and watch videos of many competitions not shown on TV. Many of them live.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

so now instead of giving the advantage to risk takers you are giving it to the cnservative gymnasts. That's basically what it does. Pretty sure that if the olympics wanted to lower the average scores for every vault in the olympics and thus lower the product they would do exactly what you are suggesting.

5. newplayer

newplayer Member

no guts no glory.

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I had no idea we had so many gymnastic experts here.

7. yuantian

because the sport is not about perfection. like 100m dash, people want to run faster. same thing for gymnastics, people want to do crazier stuff. i wouldn't want to watch it if everyone did the same **** just trying to be 'perfect'. that would not advance the sport at all. since there are no other way to advance the sport, difficulty is the only thing. people want to see fancier harder stuff.

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

The Olympic gymnast that won a gold medal.

9. yuantian

yes, after reading all the rules and ****, and arguing, i have more knowledge about current gymnastic scoring system. :D

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i just don't see how the judges are so inconsistent. there are standard starting values and standard deductions. there was some routine early on where they said the high and low judges differed by 0.8! that's the equivalent of someone falling and one judge just not noticing it. or someone not falling a judge thinking they did. how can these best judges in the world see the same thing and think such completely different things.

11. yuantian

from the old system, and who is also an American. if they don't use biased judges, i wouldn't listen to a biased commentator for scoring.

12. AGBee

AGBee Member

Yeah, was just responding to your cute dismissive comment, which is basically what all of your posts are.

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Actually she did complete the vault. It counted as a completed vault because landing on knees counts as a completed vault with a heavy penalty (If I remember correctly, I heard the commentators say landing on knees was a -0.8 penalty). If you look up the new scoring system it is actually much harder to be biased as scoring is based on objective criteria (pre-determined difficulty scores for moves , linkages and pre-determined deductions for errors), and doesn't really award points for artistic value the way the old system did. Cheng's excellent first vault and high difficulty on her second vault helped her overcome the deduction. If you feel the deduction for the fall is too low, or the difficulty level of her routine is too high, then you have a problem with the scoring system, not judging bias.

You can say the Chinese have played it smart going for high difficulty scores to give them more room for error, but other gymnasts have access to the scoring criteria too and could have opted for difficult routines too. The gymnasts going for low difficulty scores either aren't well versed with the scoring system (unlikely) or they simply can't execute difficult routines without big errors to make the gamble worth it.

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

OK, change subject.

I took a look at CNBC, Davis Zhuang of USA isn't smashing player from Nigeria, going up just 2-1. Man, that sucks. You can't finish off pingpong player from Nigeria easily? I mean it's not track and field. And you have a Chinese family name. Haha.

15. yuantian

it's not like your comments were anymore convincing. let's face it, you are biased, i am biased. just leave it at that. it's like yin and yang, it don't mix.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

no glory, still get bronze medal.

and how is my suggestion not advancing the sport. it today, gymnasts can only do certain vaults without falling, they should continue to try and do harder vaults without falling, trying to get better. there would still be difficulty scores and execution scores, just that actually completing a vault would be rewarded. presumably, as the sport advance, even better vaults would be completed (you know, like how it has always been and how they do much harder things now than they did 20 years ago, even without emphasizing difficulty). it just seems to emphasize being able to push off really hard and doing a lot of flips and crap, even if you can't do them. is there no place for actually being able to execute a vault or routine any more?

17. newplayer

newplayer Member

... in the 1984 Olympics when none of the gymnastics powerhouse countries from eastern Europe except for Bulgaria participate due to a Soviet led boycott? ;)

18. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

That was his average. He got a 15.3 or so on the vault where he fell. Still way too high in my opinion.

19. yuantian

as some one mentioned already, if that's the case, you will end up seeing same **** over and over again. it gets boring quick as it is already.

and you are complaining about the scoring system, not the judges.

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Is he ABC? Those are only half decent table tennis players.