1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer shows 'great restraint' not shooting charging suspect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I thought you got stopped for breaking the law in some way, or being suspected of breaking the law. If you break the law, you have to pay the price, whatever the price may be. The police do not generate the income. The sentencing at the courts generate the income.

2. Falcons Talon

What is wrong with your brain. The police do not issue the fines. The judge issues the fines. The police write the tickets for breaking laws. No matter how petty people think the laws are, you still have to follow them or you will be subject to this judicial process. You don't want to pay a fine, DON'T BREAK A LAW!

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, I think our cops are smart enough and more courage is exactly what I want. I think it would probably result in incrementally more dead cops, but exponentially fewer dead citizens. This guy took on some personal risk, but don't overstate it. He did have his weapon drawn and trained on the suspect. If the suspect had drawn, the cop still has the advantage in a shoot-out. So he played the percentages that the suspect wasn't likely to draw and that he'd probably win even if the suspect did draw. So he took some small risk, and for that risk the suspect is still alive, for which he should be thankful.

I'm not even asking cops to take this much risk. If he chose to shoot the guy, I wouldn't be second-guessing him. But compare his choice to some of the others we've seen. It would have been nice to have this cop handling the guy with a toy gun in the Walmart.

4. Remii

Remii Member

What's wrong with your brain... Because I never said the police make the laws. And you took one line from my post just so you could argue just to argue... But that's nothing new.

5. Falcons Talon

Where did I say that you said police make the laws?

You're all about bashing police. There's no point in bringing up any of your other idiotic points. This is just your latest gem that I picked out.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This. It's a dangerous thing when some officers now have to think about their reputation and possible media outlash instead of looking out for their own life. Who knows, in the near future someone might die because the responsible cop didn't have the balls to shoot a suspect and deal with the aftermath.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Traffic cameras are overwhelmingly abused more than a cop sitting there pulling people over. For example, it is well documented that yellow light time at traffic cam locations was reduced simply to catch more people running a red light. The same with putting speed cameras on a downhill slope.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Issue the fines... Make the laws... Whatever... You're nitpicking.

And there's nothing wrong with being critical of the police department. Citizens have the right to do that. Even though you choose not to.

They can take some of the money they're using to arm the police department like the military (considering the crime rate has been dropping in this country) to work the bugs out of the system and don't put cameras on downhill slopes.

9. Falcons Talon

It's as much nitpicking as you taking isolated incidents and painting all police officers with the same brush.

Except mine makes some sense. You're just bashing every chance you get.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Did you even read?

These aren't bugs. Its intentionally done to generate revenue. Which most of it goes to the private corporation.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have stats off hand but my understanding is that LE killing or just shooting suspects is still relatively rare when compared to the all of the interactions that the public will have with LE. For the most part LEO show restraint in what is certainly a difficult job. This incident just happened to be caught on video.

As I've said all along most LEO are good people but because of the power that they have we need to be very careful about those who abuse that power. Further LE shouldn't be above the law and should be treated like anyone else when going through the criminal justice system.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]
    LOL

Rocket River

13. Remii

Remii Member

What are the many isolated incidents are you referring too... To be so isolated it's a bunch to pick from.
    And did you even take the time to read what the police department was doing in Ferguson to those citizens and in other places. No different than what the cops in San Jacinto country (Terror On 59) was doing back in the day.

Take it out of the private corporations hands. That way there would be better trained cops and less meter maids responding to situations real police officers should be responding to and they could still make their money off of traffic violations.

14. Falcons Talon

Ok...Ferguson...thats one...how many more can you name.

#54 Falcons Talon, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  15. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

We've heard the argument that most cops are good, but can the reverse be said? Most people aren't trying to kill cops? When does "I get to go home to my family" out weighs the fact that "he's family doesn't get see him again" due to a missunderstanding?

In this case, it was obvious, the cop was in his right to shoot the guy.

#55 Kyakko, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  16. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

no cop makes money when the violence stops

17. Remii

Remii Member

Actually in the post you responded to I mentioned another situation that happened in San Jacinto country... A big time gap between that situation and what was going on in Ferguson showing that shyt ain't changed. And you see all the money they are spending in Chicago on civil cases right now.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Can't make that **** up. "I'm an expert cause my dad is in the airforce!" "I can see Russia from my house"
    LOL

19. Falcons Talon

Ok. Ferguson, 2015, San Jacinto County? Come on. Why stop there? So many more incidents the further back you go. Let's stay in the present. Tell me about Chicago. It would see that as common as these events are, you could pull examples out on a whim.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

[​IMG]