1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer shows 'great restraint' not shooting charging suspect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Pretty much the reason the majority of them don't need guns. Put them in reflective vests signifying they are just there to take your money.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Or reform a system where several municipalities across the nation rely on more than 50% of their revenue on fines from it's citizens violating minor infractions that generates a system where there is a conflict of interest where the municipality would 'prefer' it's citizens breaking the law.

I'm all in favor for any minor traffic violations such as speeding should be handled with a weekend of community service.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If we had more cops like this one, we would have many more dead cops. There are some posters here (Remi) that would find that a good thing.

I certainly wont criticize the officer on his actions, just as I wouldn't on others who would have pulled the trigger. This officer might be one of those who would never pull the trigger regardless. There is nothing wrong with someone like that, however its foolish to say more need to be like him.

4. tenguin

tenguin Member

wow, no way you can be serious. sure there's a reason for cops to be out giving tickets on the roads, or else it would be chaos. talk about danger galore on the streets if we didn't have them patrolling and honestly i wish we had more on the roads. all kinds of domestic violence at home when they are called, i dare you to have the guts to get in between two angry people. like ive said before, do stupid things, expect stupid consequences. always easy to judge someone else after the fact, but try and see it for what it is.

its really sad that you feel this way. i feel sorry for you

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you believe this is a conflict of interest? If a municipality relies on more than 50% of their revenue from cops ticketing it's citizens for violating traffic infractions, why would the municipality not want it's citizens to break the law?

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I would have popped one dead in his azz...Great restraint though... Must've been tough

7. tenguin

tenguin Member

so someone is always out to get you mentality or do you believe that most driver's do follow the laws accordingly? like any business they do have to generate income, so i cant really argue your point.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Police are here to provide public safety, not generate income. Governmemt isn't a business. I know it's the Republican way to prey on the poor to provide revenue that should be generated through taxes but it's damn wrong and disgusting.

9. tenguin

tenguin Member

the government is the biggest business!

10. dback816

dback816 Member

I take it you don't buy car and home insurance either, since a good percentage of the time nothing happens :rolleyes:

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Says the guy who made s*** up and put it in his sig.

Priceless.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good story and very admirable restraint by the officer. While I've been critical of LEO I think if he had shot the suspect when he charged that would've been justified.

That said I think it is a very sad commentary that it is such a big news when LE shows restraint and doesn't shoot a suspect.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Are you implying that only poor people break the law??

And what does Republicans have to do with ticketing and municipalities? If anything, ticketing is closer to a tax, which is right up the liberals ally.

And yes, people running stop signs, red lights and speeding is part of public safety. I will reassure you that $150 fine is a big deterrent from me breaking the law.

"dur dur dur a political topic. Those damn republicans persecuting the poor. dur dur dur"

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is possible that if more officers behaved like that it could lead to more LE deaths but this does go to the nature of the job. I've brought this up before but the concept of "To protect and serve" doesn't just mean to protect one's self but to the protect the public including suspects.

I want to stress this doesn't mean that LEO lives are less important than suspects but the view that essentially once a suspect is uncooperative with LE means that almost anything is justified on the part of the LE is a problem. Too often situations where a suspect is killed, or abused is just brushed off with if they had just cooperated then it wouldn't have happened.

Obviously LE lives matter and they should be able to act, with deadly force, when faced with a clear threat to their own lives but in cases where the suspect is unarmed, heavily outnumbered by LEO or fleeing how much is that an actual threat to LE? The real lesson of this situation to me isn't whether the officer is brave or smart but that the officer values the life of the suspect.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

< gasoline_on_fire >In before someone says "it's because the suspect was WHITE."
    Everybody wants to say this but they won't.< / gasoline_on_fire >

:cool:

#racism
    #racist
    #obviousStuff

NOW it's a D&D thread.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Do we have any idea how many times an officer does show restraint? I imagine the vast majority of the time an officer doesn't shoot a charging/armed suspect we would never hear about it....certainly not on a national level.

17. Remii

Remii Member

I touched on that in the post you responded to when I mentioned "better trained patrol units and response teams"... And police officers don't usually prevent domestic violence by the way.

Considering the fact my State Farm agent isn't out murdering people because she's poorly trained... That's a dumb azz analogy.

More traffic cameras would actually prevent that... People would be more cautious with their driving knowing the eye and the sky is watching. That way cops aren't spending all day in and out of court eating up tax dollars and can spend more time on actually catching real criminals and or training.

I also believe everyone should take some type of drivers education course before they get their license as well.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I never paid attention to the color of the suspects skin...

#youmayhaveapoint

19. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Fixed it for you.

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

That's par for the course for him.